The mkiv Supra Owners Club

water/steam from the exhaust

safcdixon

Right im not a happy bunny typing this, As some of you will know ive stripped my car for a respray and a few other tweeks, when I stripped the car I did most of the engine bay aswell including the rad and intercooler pipes, so I could paint it, I also removed the aircon system whilst I was on.

so today I got a new serpentine belt and proceeded to reassemble what was left to do, i filled the system up with Toyota red coolent etc on the initial start up there was a puff of condensation (or so I thought) now after letting it tick over for 1/2 hour it was still steaming a little bit so I gave it a few revs too clear it etc but clear water starts flying out the exhaust and a little steam after I come off the revs.

now is this just condensation in the exhaust system? could it have entered the exhaust when wet sanding? (doubtful) could it have entered the inlet (butterfly) side, or the air filter side?

Its not overheating( no bubbling), no warning lights on the dash, the temp gauge sits exactly where it always does smack bang in the middle.

oil pressure light is working on startup and goes straight out. im out of ideas tbh I really need your help/opinions because if its goosed than its getting the massive hammer treatment

heres a vid ignore the blue smoke that always clears after a little blast when driving

http://s224.photobucket.com/user/safcdixon/media/IMG_1036_zps47704eae.mp4.html

Is it just water ?

If you've filled the cooling system with coolred and its clear water coming

out the exhaust then its a build up of condensation in the exhaust

I'd take it for a good run and just keep your eye on the temp gauge

Yeah just pure water Dunk, The system is filled with pure Toyota red 4life, I cant drive it far at all as its still stripped down and has no tax :(

the heaters a blowing hot, the top and bottom rad pipes are hot so I know the thermostat is opening, its got me worried its something bad!

does the amount of water surprise you for condensation? its thrown out quite a bit of it

Edited by safcdixon (see edit history)

Yes it is quite a bit but with the weather going up and down in temp it'll

make this worse.

Perhaps some water did get up the tailpipe in the bodyshop

but find that a little hard to believe unless done on purpose.

If its not coolred coming out then its not an engine

coolant related problem

Yes it is quite a bit but with the weather going up and down in temp it'll

make this worse.

Perhaps some water did get up the tailpipe in the bodyshop but find that

a little hard to believe unless done on purpose.

If its not coolred coming out then its not engine related

I certainly haven't put any water up there on purpose (im doing the bodywork btw ;) )

I hope you guys are correct which I think you are I just wanted to be more confident before finishing everything else on the car

Normal, with the temperatures we've had lately condensation build up in engine blocks and exhaust is heavy

First proper run of my newly back on the road single build dried mine right out

Thanks Pulley It certainly makes sense the weather has been horrid, as above I just wanted to be sure before I spent more money on other parts of the car

I think il drop the oil next weekend to be safe.

cheers guys you've certainly lifted my mood :D

I certainly haven't put any water up there on purpose (im doing the bodywork btw ;) )

I hope you guys are correct which I think you are I just wanted to be more confident before finishing everything else on the car

Thanks Pulley It certainly makes sense the weather has been horrid, as above I just wanted to be sure before I spent more money on other parts of the car

I think il drop the oil next weekend to be safe.

cheers guys you've certainly lifted my mood :D

:)

Sure it's just water. I think it's more noticeable with the side exits. I had a "moment" last year after I had the tyres swapped on the driveway in the rain. It steamed forever and the next time I started it too. A good blast to get the exhaust nice and hot and all was well again.

By the way, I can't believe how quiet the side exits are on tickover once the system is nice and warm.

Sure it's just water. I think it's more noticeable with the side exits. I had a "moment" last year after I had the tyres swapped on the driveway in the rain. It steamed forever and the next time I started it too. A good blast to get the exhaust nice and hot and all was well again.

By the way, I can't believe how quiet the side exits are on tickover once the system is nice and warm.

That's good too know mate atleast its not just a single case of this happening

Yaeh its an awesome system I love it its so discreet when on tickover or low revs then comes alive with the throttle open, such a nice note to it too

Im surprised more people haven't opted for one when choosing a new system

All cars do it, long, cold exhaust systems take a long time to heat up. My Soarer's stock system kicks out an alarming amount of condensation on boost until its hot, my Sprinter sprays water out of the rear box. Incidentally its this water that rots exhausts out from the inside when it mixes with the exhaust gas to form acid.

Do It! :D

:D Yeah I most likely will when my current exhaust gives up. We have just done a front exit on my sons Civic and this got me thinking. Just been looking at Paul W's thread side exit thread and he ended up offering these at a really good price. Do you reckon its possible to use larger tail pipes, or are they too close to the body?

:D Yeah I most likely will when my current exhaust gives up. We have just done a front exit on my sons Civic and this got me thinking. Just been looking at Paul W's thread side exit thread and he ended up offering these at a really good price. Do you reckon its possible to use larger tail pipes, or are they too close to the body?

You could if your running sideskirts as you just make the hole larger theres plenty of room once you flatten the sill ridge, but if your running stock sidepods like i am now you would have too have flexable mounts on the exhaust to give you enough room, unless you cut into the sidepod,

Ive been thinking at getting 3inch ones for mine, im sure Paul had 3" ones on his timeattack/racecar maybe worth throwing Paul a pm im sure he'll know what required :)

You could if your running sideskirts as you just make the hole larger theres plenty of room once you flatten the sill ridge, but if your running stock sidepods like i am now you would have too have flexable mounts on the exhaust to give you enough room, unless you cut into the sidepod,

Ive been thinking at getting 3inch ones for mine, im sure Paul had 3" ones on his timeattack/racecar maybe worth throwing Paul a pm im sure he'll know what required :)

Ok thanks.