The mkiv Supra Owners Club

So why do we buy Supra's over, say, a R33 Skyline?

Supra Kong

I am still awaiting my new toy to arrive in Newcastle soon!!![GRIN][/GRIN]

In the meantime i took out my mates V-spec R33, and i gotta say it doesnt half shift! The road holding is out of this world!

He has got the HKS twin turbos, Apexi ECU etc etc pumping out about 500BHP at the flywheel.

These cars are going for less (in this spec) then a Supra to similar spec..a lot less....

It strikes me the skyline would be quicker around track and drag strip, fits 4 adults, better in the wet etc....

So why do i still want this Supra so bad? lol

What is it about them?

Any clues?:blink:

Why did you get one?[/COLOR]

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The styling, the reliability, the prestige feel.

An R33 is very dated all over IMO. I would actually choose an R32 over an R33 as it has all the positives but it is also a proper retro car now, not an inbetweener, so it gets away with its older feel/look etc.

Obviously this will be your first if your having to ask a question like this. Anyone can jump in a sky barge and drive it fast, but a Supra is a drivers car. If you dont respect it it will bite you in the arse as good as look at you. It has a stronger engine from the out set, more powerful engine also. The car is built to a high standard and not to the standard of a 90's taxi.

Over all the Supra is a magnificent piece of engineering where as the sky barge is just another car with a suped up engine. Its was built with the idea of being a supercar not a high performance car like the sky barge. Once you take the delivery of your supra it will all become clear.

style, reliability, street appeal by which i mean people of all ages appreciate them over your macdonalds chavs that love their skylines, performance and the overengineering as stock that Toyota love to do i.e. v160/161 gearbox and the 2JZ engine.

There's also a matter of insurance, i too looked at a R33 GTR but it was 3 times the cost for insurance about £1900 iirc, where as i'm paying £550 fully comp on the supra and i'm 25 years old lol, that said I would love a R34 GTR one day :)

Edited by Dan_Turism0 (see edit history)

Obviously this will be your first if your having to ask a question like this. Anyone can jump in a sky barge and drive it fast, but a Supra is a drivers car. If you dont respect it it will bite you in the arse as good as look at you. It has a stronger engine from the out set, more powerful engine also. The car is built to a high standard and not to the standard of a 90's taxi.

Over all the Supra is a magnificent piece of engineering where as the sky barge is just another car with a suped up engine. Its was built with the idea of being a supercar not a high performance car like the sky barge. Once you take the delivery of your supra it will all become clear.

Yes, first one!! Had a 911 before, so quiet like the feel of RWD!!!

Thanks Guys,

I guess styling is 60% of our decision to purchase most things!

I bought this car as a long term project.... ie.. you can always add bits get more bhp, a few tweaks to get it performing on a track and i think they are absolutely gorgeous too!!!

Am bored of changing cars every couple of years.. so i thought this should last me a while!!

I loved my 911 but it needed remortgaging to get any extra power out of it... or any improvements for that matter!!

This will be way more affordable!!!!

:)

I think an r33 is the ugliest skyline ever made, the r32/34 are much better, the looks both with squarer more aggressive lines, for most it's simple, the 2jz engine is unbeatable and the sexy curves are also pretty darn stunning. IMO the only better looking jap car that stands out to me is the rx7, but there engines blow!!

I think an r33 is the ugliest skyline ever made, the r32/34 are much better, the looks both with squarer more aggressive lines, for most it's simple, the 2jz engine is unbeatable and the sexy curves are also pretty darn stunning. IMO the only better looking jap car that stands out to me is the rx7, but there engines blow!!

fully agreed 32GTR has that oldschool look, 33 just looks like it's trying too hard to be up to date and is neither one thing or the other

Turning up in newcastle, so does this mean Jurgen has found you a great example of a car. Any info on the car?

Jurgen indeed! I heard so many good things about him i thought it'd be rude not to get a car from him!

So far, he has been absolutely brilliant and would recommend him to anyone looking!!

Yes, the car is this one: http://www.jm-imports.co.uk/cardetails/toyota/2011/supra30.htm

Should be with me sometime in Feb i reckon!!! (-:

style, reliability, street appeal by which i mean people of all ages appreciate them over your macdonalds chavs that love their skylines, performance and the overengineering as stock that Toyota love to do i.e. v160/161 gearbox and the 2JZ engine.

There's also a matter of insurance, i too looked at a R33 GTR but it was 3 times the cost for insurance about £1900 iirc, where as i'm paying £550 fully comp on the supra and i'm 25 years old lol, that said I would love a R34 GTR one day :)

£550 sounds good!!!

I have been quoted £750 and am a little older!!!!

Jurgen indeed! I heard so many good things about him i thought it'd be rude not to get a car from him!

So far, he has been absolutely brilliant and would recommend him to anyone looking!!

Yes, the car is this one: http://www.jm-imports.co.uk/cardetails/toyota/2011/supra30.htm

Should be with me sometime in Feb i reckon!!! (-:

That looks like a nice one, not a fan of body kits etc but with just the bomex front and oem skirts and spats it looks nice. ;)

I've always liked Skylines and tbh, whenever I see one on the road, I still think to myself, "Maybe one day I'll get one to see what all the fuss is about."

I agree about the R33 styling being a bit Soarer like but I wouldn't mind this as a second car....

http://pistonheads.com/sales/3554905.htm

Looks like a pretty awesome car! And seriously i was blown away when i drove one! Hopefully the Supra will have the same effect!!!