The mkiv Supra Owners Club

So why do we buy Supra's over, say, a R33 Skyline?

Supra Kong

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest supra1994

hi there sorry im new on here dont have a clue what im doing i cant get full access to evrything do i have to pay or somthing to become a full member. anyway how come you get so cheap insurance who do insure with, im female 26 and have a supra and my insurance costs me £101 a month and i have been driving for & years

hi there sorry im new on here dont have a clue what im doing i cant get full access to evrything do i have to pay or somthing to become a full member. anyway how come you get so cheap insurance who do insure with, im female 26 and have a supra and my insurance costs me £101 a month and i have been driving for & years

Not really sure where to start to be honest. Have you ever been on a forum before?

If you click "Forum" at the top left side of the page this will show you an overall view of the forum. From here you can access the different sub-forums/areas to find the thing you want to look for/ask.

For the first part... not having a clue what you are doing... head over to the "New Members" area and post a new thread telling us about yourself.

For the next part..... to become a full member simply click "Club Extras" up the top, then hit "membership status" or something like that. I think you can join through that way.

For insurance information type "insurance" into the top right hand "Search" box and do some reading, there are loads of threads. Some will be better for certain circumstances so give a few different recommendations a go.

Phew, this is going to be interesting.

Hmmm...just stumbled on this thread. Some interesting and sufficiently mis-informed opinions but this is the Supra forum so bound to be a little bit of bias.

Anyway my thoughts here and here for anyone thats really interested in a comparison.

A couple of years later, the Skyline has been pretty reliable up until recently when the head cracked and a re-built head was on the cards. Other than that is it still expectionally good fun to drive when then moment is right. I must say I am tempted by a manual single turbo Sup again at the mo however.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/ACuthell/Outlon%20Park%20Trackday%2015th%20April%202011/downloadt_150411_0039-1.jpg

Great post & an honest comparison of both cars :)

Hmmm...just stumbled on this thread. Some interesting and sufficiently mis-informed opinions but this is the Supra forum so bound to be a little bit of bias.

Anyway my thoughts here and here for anyone thats really interested in a comparison.

A couple of years later, the Skyline has been pretty reliable up until recently when the head cracked and a re-built head was on the cards. Other than that is it still expectionally good fun to drive when then moment is right. I must say I am tempted by a manual single turbo Sup again at the mo however.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/ACuthell/Outlon%20Park%20Trackday%2015th%20April%202011/downloadt_150411_0039-1.jpg

Those were a good read, i was quiet surprised what you said in terms of performance there wasnt too much difference between a 500bhp R33 and a 400BHP Supra!!! Good Stuff!!

Edited by Supra Kong (see edit history)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/ACuthell/Outlon Park Trackday 15th April 2011/downloadt_150411_0039-1.jpg

Those were a good read, i was quiet surprised what you said in terms of performance there wasnt too much difference between a 500bhp R33 and a 400BHP Supra!!! Good Stuff!!

Just testing. You left a space and R in the quote brackets at the end so it didn't come out quite right, incase you're wondering. :)

Edited by Morpheus
I love predictive text, not. (see edit history)

Well spotted!!!! Don't know how that got there???

It's so easily done, particularly on a phone. If you click on 'edit post', you can just delete the space and R to just say /QUOTE in the square brackets and it will work ok. Try it. :)

(Edit; all sorted now).

Edited by Morpheus
Well done Supra Kong! :-) (see edit history)

As I recall (and hopefully correctly), the R33 was better than the R32 only in that it had a 6 speed Getrag and a minor revision / improvement to the RB26. Apart from that, the cosmetic changes were unpopular (not to mention the weight gain!) - which is why the R34 was much better received.

I would only ever have a true V spec I or II 32 or 34, unless I was to transplant the 33 driveline into a 32 chassis.

The R33 GTR is 5 speed only, any 6 speed ones are converted. The Supra was part of a very exclusive club in having a 6 speed box back in '93, only the Audi S2, BMW 8 series and exotics coming with them iirc.

I suddenly feel compelled to share this picture :D

Gorgeous :cool:

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

The R33 GTR is 5 speed only, any 6 speed ones are converted. The Supra was part of a very exclusive club in having a 6 speed box back in '93, only the Audi S2, BMW 8 series and exotics coming with them iirc.

I suddenly feel compelled to share this picture :D

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm203/j_s14a/cbdc0794.jpg

Gorgeous :cool:

Yours? 840 or 850? I considered these for a while and they're really cheap now but a bit thirsty I would imagine.

Do you really think there's not much difference in performance between a 400 bhp Supra in comparison to a 500 bhp Skyline - wonder how many of you would put money on the Supra....not me!

Do you really think there's not much difference in performance between a 400 bhp Supra in comparison to a 500 bhp Skyline - wonder how many of you would put money on the Supra....not me!

There will be something in it but you have to understand the different AWD makes to the transmission losses and also the aerodynamic properties of both cars once they start shifting. 500hp R33 is always going to get off the line quicker with the same setup though.

Yours? 840 or 850? I considered these for a while and they're really cheap now but a bit thirsty I would imagine.
Not to forget none of the fancy electric stuff will work! :D

My cousin had one of these for a little bit, didn't last long!

There will be something in it but you have to understand the different AWD makes to the transmission losses and also the aerodynamic properties of both cars once they start shifting. 500hp R33 is always going to get off the line quicker with the same setup though.

Spot on. My car gets to 100mph in about 9sec, the Supra was about 11sec (auto), but after that not as much in it as you'd think until the supra dies off a bit when the converter locks in 4th. A manual would be closer....

Not mine :( but one day...

A mate of my dad had one for a few years when he. He's had loads of nice cars, jags, bentleys etc and still reckons the 8 series was the best car he ever had.

Wait a couple of weeks and you'll find out! If you get the R33 running right that is!:p

Well it's now running fine after my adventure into the world of throttle bodies ! - This is my second Skybarge and it's great, my first one never missed a beat in the two years of ownership and this one is only being naughty cause I messed her about, she's now forgiven me. Agree with what some of you say - the Supra does look ok but as they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I need 4 proper seats! - Like all the comments - you all seem a genuine nice bunch - maybe you'll allow a Skybarge taxi out with you on one of your runs/meets

Well it's now running fine after my adventure into the world of throttle bodies ! - This is my second Skybarge and it's great, my first one never missed a beat in the two years of ownership and this one is only being naughty cause I messed her about, she's now forgiven me. Agree with what some of you say - the Supra does look ok but as they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I need 4 proper seats! - Like all the comments - you all seem a genuine nice bunch - maybe you'll allow a Skybarge taxi out with you on one of your runs/meets

I didn't see any objections!!! ;)