The mkiv Supra Owners Club

So why do we buy Supra's over, say, a R33 Skyline?

Supra Kong

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2JZ engine is ALOT stronger also bigger and you can make a TT supra 400BHP by doing the BPU upgrade for under £1k. To make a R33 400bhp would cost more than £1k. The supra doesn't look outdated compared to the R33. If you do what your mate has done to his R33 you will be way above 500bhp in a Supra lol

The 2JZ engine is ALOT stronger also bigger and you can make a TT supra 400BHP by doing the BPU upgrade for under £1k. To make a R33 400bhp would cost more than £1k. The supra doesn't look outdated compared to the R33. If you do what your mate has done to his R33 you will be way above 500bhp in a Supra lol

You're right, but if you were to buy them already spec'd the R33 would be lots cheaper!

Just need to safe up some cash so i can go and whoop his butt!!!

Yep, the biggest thing is this & running 400bhp reliably, and some.

That was quite a massive factor to me & as mention the looks, interior was a massive sway for me.

My colleague had an R33 VSpec & he did say his ran perfectly but other friends had problem once mild tuning begun.

Oh & I knew I made the right choice when I drove to MK Pinnacle office & they thought I was a partner of the firm :D

Edited by Abz (see edit history)

Yep, the biggest thing is this & running 400bhp reliably, and some.

That was quite a massive factory to me & as mention the looks, interior was a massive sway for me.

My colleague had an R33 VSpec & he did say his ran perfectly but other friends had problem once mild tuning begun.

Oh & I knew I made the right choice when I drove to MK Pinnacle office & they thought I was a partner of the firm :D

You mean a massive factor?

My mate hasnt had any trouble with his until he cleaned the throttle body's and now it aint idling right!!! lol

You mean a massive factor?

My mate hasnt had any trouble with his until he cleaned the throttle body's and now it aint idling right!!! lol

Reliability isn't about 1-offs though. The difference is with the Supra that there are as many Supra failures as there are GTR non-failures :D

As I recall (and hopefully correctly), the R33 was better than the R32 only in that it had a 6 speed Getrag and a minor revision / improvement to the RB26. Apart from that, the cosmetic changes were unpopular (not to mention the weight gain!) - which is why the R34 was much better received.

I would only ever have a true V spec I or II 32 or 34, unless I was to transplant the 33 driveline into a 32 chassis.

As to why Supras are more popular - perhaps you should ask the question on the Skyline forums, as we can hardly claim impartiality here. I think the answer lies in the ease and reliability that the 2JZ can achieve 500+ hp with minimal modification - the RB26 has a much lower ceiling of reliable horsepower before requiring more expensive modifications. But once we talk about single turbos and extensive modification, it's simply preference - RWD vs AWD, square vs round shapes, Nissan vs Toyota.

As I recall (and hopefully correctly), the R33 was better than the R32 only in that it had a 6 speed Getrag and a minor revision / improvement to the RB26. Apart from that, the cosmetic changes were unpopular (not to mention the weight gain!) - which is why the R34 was much better received.

I would only ever have a true V spec I or II 32 or 34, unless I was to transplant the 33 driveline into a 32 chassis.

As to why Supras are more popular - perhaps you should ask the question on the Skyline forums, as we can hardly claim impartiality here. I think the answer lies in the ease and reliability that the 2JZ can achieve 500+ hp with minimal modification - the RB26 has a much lower ceiling of reliable horsepower before requiring more expensive modifications. But once we talk about single turbos and extensive modification, it's simply preference - RWD vs AWD, square vs round shapes, Nissan vs Toyota.

You missed out coupe vs taxi :)

Guest tuskuniversal

The answer is simple. The supra looks better. Skylines are prob faster and beter handling but the styling is only attractive to those of us who know what it is. How many times has some random girl thought one of you guy's Supra was a Porsche lol. Our supras can look like Fast and Furious cars or can fit right in at Ascot race track depending on what we want.

The answer is simple. The supra looks better. Skylines are prob faster and beter handling but the styling is only attractive to those of us who know what it is. How many times has some random girl thought one of you guy's Supra was a Porsche lol. Our supras can look like Fast and Furious cars or can fit right in at Ascot race track depending on what we want.

It's funny you should say that because I ‘have had a woman walk past my car and comment to her husband just that...! I believe that as I have a full body kit designed to complement each other instead of piecing together a kit has helped give the impression that the car came like it is from factory!

Me thinks you're gonna need to diet if your gonna do that Mr G

Anyway I'm the r33 owner that Supra Kong refers to - not being so rich it was the most cost effective way of beating a bike and keeping dry - Supra's are fine but each to their own. This is my second "Skybarge" the first didnt miss a beat, this ones being "female" but is still a lot of fun. I'm not a MacDonalds Chav lol. Think the bit on the Supra engine being stronger is a well known fact but I was looking for the performance off the line and out of the bends - think my limited talent may lead me to the bodyshop after track days if I went the Supra route ! Looking forward to the track day Supra Kong - maybe you'll update the post to confirm your whooped butt!

Edited by Abbo (see edit history)

Hmmm...just stumbled on this thread. Some interesting and sufficiently mis-informed opinions but this is the Supra forum so bound to be a little bit of bias.

Anyway my thoughts here and here for anyone thats really interested in a comparison.

A couple of years later, the Skyline has been pretty reliable up until recently when the head cracked and a re-built head was on the cards. Other than that is it still expectionally good fun to drive when then moment is right. I must say I am tempted by a manual single turbo Sup again at the mo however.