The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-T making things simple?

JamieP

Thinking about seeing how cheap i could do a reliable NA-t build.

Anyone see the harm in going with a internal wastegate turbo? would make for a very simple build i think.

Second hand turbo from something like a EVO.

XS power manifold, chop off and weld up the wastegate tube.

XS power downpipe

Any cheapo fmic kit.

Boost controler and aem fic, go for something like 300bhp on the stock injectors, with super fast spool.

Thoughts?

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If its just going to be 300hp at most then i cant see an issue with it.

List seems good enough to me.

Definatly think a piggy back is probly the best way so you can map it properly although id be half tempted to run stock ecu, but thats cause i like to experiment, doubt that would be the most reliable option though.

Sounds simple and cheap, What would the final cost be to do this ? and would it really be reliable ?

Would it be worth popping some bigger injectors in for that extra power ?

The main problems i see with the xs kits are the turbo/wastegate and oil lines, sometimes the wastegate ports are sometimes to small on the manifolds, the way im talking about doing it id do away with all this.

You could go bigger injectors, i think ive read mkiii turbo injectors fit the NA rail?

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

jamie i got a t61 turbi with a xs wastegate and oil lines, manifold as well but its cracked. all you need is a manifold and a fmic. hope it helps.

Far to big turbo and completely the opposite setup to what im talking about mate, as thread title "keeping things simple":)

Depending on the cost's it would either be worth it or not in my eyes, i'd rather put a TT engine in!

Pick up the parts secondhand and this could be done very cheap, i might not bother, just a thought.

The internal wastegate setup of a smaller turbo is what i like the idea of.

Depending on the cost's it would either be worth it or not in my eyes, i'd rather put a TT engine in!

Thats cause your a panzy! :D

I think an evo turbo would work well for a simple setup. Should be realy responsive.

I wouldnt bother swapping the injectors if you want to keep it simple although the extra headroom maybe useful

Seems a bit random having a nice MSB NA and then chucking the cheapest possible parts at it to make it slower than a stock TT.

Its not like you need speed from it, you have the black car for that, so what purpose would it serve?

was wondering this as well dude. maybe just doing it to learn i guess, maybe he wants to get his own hands dirty and build/brake/fix things but doesnt dare touch the black one after all hes put in it.

Seems a bit random having a nice MSB NA and then chucking the cheapest possible parts at it to make it slower than a stock TT.

Its not like you need speed from it, you have the black car for that, so what purpose would it serve?

Its not about that Rob or that car in paticular, everyone slates na-t in the uk, its just a thought.

There's quite a number of issues with this approach, but I'm sure you know a few already

- From what I can find the Evo stock turbo is not a T3/T4 flange so won't fit. Unless you mean an aftermarket one?

- The integral wastegates mean that a suitable flange is needed to match to the downpipe, lots of fabrication required

- Compressor map needs to be checked for compliance - not easy to do! Could be a fast spooler, but needs other issues addressed to ensure adequate adjustemnt of fuel and timing (see below). Also, could very easy run out of power at the third rpm.

- the distributor clearance would be an issue (as always is on NA-T)

- Can the AEM FIC add mnore than +50% fuel per cell? What is the resolution? It will need a fairly high resolution to compensate the stock map

- Ignition adjustment? Pretty pointless without it IMO

- NA bock requires the oil drain and feed holes to be tapped. PITA as ideally the engine needs to come out

Still, would be interesting to see it tried out, but IMO even the stock XS power option would be an easier and cheaper choice and would see similar if not better power delivery.

Well I think if he has the time and money to do this it would be a good idea, Would be a starting block for a lot of other N/a drivers who fancy a good, cheap, reliable N/a-T build IMO.

Edited by j1mb0b1 (see edit history)

Its not about that Rob or that car in paticular, everyone slates na-t in the uk, its just a thought.

i really cant get to grips with jamie right now!

who are you? weres the old jamieP? have you hacked his account?!

the old jamie = boost boost boost boost boost power power power power power power 150 octane jungle juice!

the new jamie = n/a's are the way forward, lets be environmentally friendly, i like rob_boi :taped:

i really cant get to grips with jamie right now!

who are you? weres the old jamieP? have you hacked his account?!

the old jamie = boost boost boost boost boost power power power power power power 150 octane jungle juice!

the new jamie = n/a's are the way forward, lets be environmentally friendly, i like rob_boi :taped:

C*nt! :D

was wondering this as well dude. maybe just doing it to learn i guess, maybe he wants to get his own hands dirty and build/brake/fix things but doesnt dare touch the black one after all hes put in it.

You got me all wrong, its not just about me, just throwing some ideas about, maybe somebody else would fancy building one, ive never heard anyone mention doing a internal watsegate setup before, most na-t's are built with huge chocolate turbos and get a bad rep for that reason, im just talking about keeping it simple on a small budget.

Are NA-T reliable then?

They are no more or less reliable than a single conversion on a TT. It's all about right choice or parts, being correctly build/mapped, and ensuring the rest of the drivetrain is of suitable spec.

Bromy's car is a an example of an NA-T done he right way. Has power & reliabilty, but was not cheap.