The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How old are your tyres?

TTRickeh

Just found a thread on detailing world that tells you how to find out the age of your tyres if you didn't already know how. Thought it might be useful.

Visit here for the original link: http://www.wisebread.com/are-your-new-tires-really-6-year-old-ticking-time-bombs

I did a search so hopefully not a repost.

My 'new' rears were actually about 10 months old when I bought them. How old are my fronts...? :taped:

...almost 7 years!

i own a tyre bay and this is a fact that an older more experiensed tyre fitter that taught me my trade warned me about before i went it alone , so fare in just over a year of tradeing i have turned away 1 pair of tyres that were manifactured in 2001 anything older than 2 years i will not take , and if ther is anything on my shelf that is aproching that age i sell at cost to freshen up the stock , dodgy tyres are no laughfing matter.

IIRC up to 6 years is the oldest a tyre should be....any older and it should be scrapped.

Edit - The report from the Vampire crash which nearly killed The Hamster states:

Both experts have been critical of the fact that the tyres fitted to the rear of Vampire were 5 years old. Hoosier recommends that competition tyres should be used within 2 years. More generally, a maximum tyre shelf life of 6 years is often quoted for road tyres.

I mentioned this to my father inlaw the other day, his F40 has the same tyres on it now as when he got it new in 1989, its only done 6000 miles, Some of the tyres on his E-Types are much older than that. Scary stuff.

Scary stuff indeed. Let's hope he heeds your warning and doesn't go out for a thrash with those old ones. (Side note - an F40? Nice!)

Will be replacing my ancient fronts as soon as I find a new 17'' stock wheel. Not much point wrapping up a duff wheel in good rubber.

Just found a thread on detailing world that tells you how to find out the age of your tyres if you didn't already know how. Thought it might be useful.

Visit here for the original link: http://www.wisebread.com/are-your-new-tires-really-6-year-old-ticking-time-bombs

I did a search so hopefully not a repost.

My 'new' rears were actually about 10 months old when I bought them. How old are my fronts...? :taped:

...almost 7 years!

Very good post - will check mine later.

I mentioned this to my father inlaw the other day, his F40 has the same tyres on it now as when he got it new in 1989, its only done 6000 miles, Some of the tyres on his E-Types are much older than that. Scary stuff.

You'd think someone with an F40 wouldn't mind forking out for a set of tyres every so often, although I imagine they're quite expensive on one of those!

You'd think someone with an F40 wouldn't mind forking out for a set of tyres every so often, although I imagine they're quite expensive on one of those!

I dont think the thought had crossed his mind till now.

(Side note - an F40? Nice)

Couple of pics in my garage.

Guest dangerousandy

I took these off the back of my Supra today (I have had to fit my spare set of rear alloys with 'Legal' Goodyear F1's). These are less than a year old and have only done about 6000miles...if that. They were Bridgestone RE71's

DSC01036.JPG

DSC01037.JPG

Edited by dangerousandy (see edit history)

I took these off the back of my Supra today (I have had to fit my spare set of rear alloys with 'Legal' Goodyear F1's). These are less than a year old and have only done about 6000miles...if that. They were Bridgestone RE71's

Yes andy, we WONT be going for a spin in your supra again with tyres like that!!!

Guest dangerousandy
Yes andy, we WONT be going for a spin in your supra again with tyres like that!!!

haha, no wonder why I kept spinning round in circles......

Just checked the tires on the picasso, we had the rears done in december and the fronts in november, Matching set of

Goodyear GT3's, only one front tire has the date on, the other three just have the raised oval with no information on???, it can't be possible for it to have worn off, can it?