PDA

View Full Version : Supra V8 2uz project

Pages : [1] 2 3

EdMorris
14-08-08, 20:29
Ok, well some of you have no doubt seen this thread started by Eric at TTC Performance

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=157676

I'm now starting a build thread for the whole car as the project has snowballed into more than just fitting a snarling V8. The goal now is to keep the stock looking exterior, save for wheels and a little something extra in the factory colour. Couple that with a full interior trim to make the inside a very nice place to be. My ponchant (spelling) for quality tunes will be met, but in a stealthy install (most of this is already done). Oh, and I'm converting the auto to a 6 speed.

I'll post some pics of the car as it is now, and as things progress. The deadline is for Suprapod '08. I'm really gonna try and keep to this, but I'm doing a lot of work myself so we'll see how it goes.

Thats it for now, will update as and when. Exciting days ahead... :d

gaz1
14-08-08, 20:51
nice one and good luck, keep us posted;)

Alex
14-08-08, 21:01
Once both threads are done we'll look at tieing them up together ;)

Good Luck.

EdMorris
15-08-08, 14:14
Thanks, that would be great. ;)

EdMorris
15-08-08, 17:30
Here are some pics as promised. I meant to take some proper ones of the standard car looking nice after a wash and polish but never got around to it. You get the idea though. Before the jibes, yes its finished in MSB. It will be staying that colour too, 'cos I like it :p.

First one is condition as I bought it 2.5 years ago. Odo read 41,500 and was a nice clean example, save for a couple of small jobs. Cost me 5500. Perhaps a little pricey, but I was relatively new to the scene.

Second is after indicator upgrade to facelift and clear side repeaters and headlight refurb with insides matched to body colour.

Next is at Toddington services last year before Suprapod (I didn't run just watched).

Then we have one of a recent wheel refurb by Ibrar, and finally on the stands having tein super streets fitted. Also shows the front lip painted, much better than black.

I'll get some more up when I can work out how to attach from my Aperture library :confused:

Alex
15-08-08, 22:21
\o/ The best colour - but I'm biased (along with RSP...my other colour).

That car was owned by another person on here before I remember being tempted!

To add a picture that's online just right click on it and get it's address then bung it in the text with and at the start and end.

JamieP
16-08-08, 14:13
Very nice base car for the project:)

EdMorris
16-08-08, 17:15
Your right it was a member on here, nice chap. Its in great condition which is why I went for the conversion route rather than buy a 6 speed tt. Plus it will be a bit different, and I like being different. :)

EdMorris
16-08-08, 17:18
Forgot to say, popped into GVN today after work to have a chat with Gerald about the colour. Gonna take about 3 weeks to do the job and its not going in 'till early september. My deadline is starting to look a little optimistic already.

JamieP
17-08-08, 09:42
What work are you planning on have done at GVN? please dont put some cr@p kit on that lovely car:)

EdMorris
17-08-08, 16:38
No chance of that. Keeping stock look, possibly without spoiler, not decided on that yet. Looks lovely on some cars (especially your old one), but not sure it suits standard rear bumper. Some other minor mods including removal of badges, ariel and rear wiper, rain guard things on doors too as drivers one is cracked. New glass and seals all round as its starting to show wear and some nasty scratches. Oh, and I need some sort of better mount for the front number plate. Decisions, decisions....

Having a few problems with the colour at the moment though. Effect of the pearl is not what I was expecting. May have to change plans a bit, will keep ya posted on this.

EdMorris
18-08-08, 21:34
Post removed

Homer
18-08-08, 21:38
It does work, but for the project section, please load pictures to the forum, not external weblinks.

EdMorris
18-08-08, 21:41
Ah ok, I'll edit that then, sorry.

EdMorris
18-08-08, 22:32
Some more pics.

Perfectly good N/A engine.
Interior before.
Interior now :eek:

Homer
18-08-08, 23:49
Thanks Ed :thumbs:

Are you swapping the heater matrix while the dash is out? Also, are you swapping to a manual trans? Would be a waste to keep that lovely engine with an auto!

EdMorris
19-08-08, 17:25
I thought about doing the heater matrix, might as well, eh? Yes it is being converted to manual. The engine will be coming with an adapter to fit the standard V160 'box. I can't wait to have my gears back. In fact that was the main reason for all of this, missing the 'driving' part of owning a nice motor.

Gaz6002
19-08-08, 17:28
I'm watching this with interest, should be a lovely car when it's done. Unique too. Are you not tempted with the TT conversion?

EdMorris
19-08-08, 18:19
After seeing, and now hearing Eric's, I must say I am. However, my budget is already gone with the extra stuff I'm already doing and the original objective was to keep it tractable for an everyday car. If the need takes me, its always something I can do later.

H7ERO
19-08-08, 19:32
i removed all the sound deadening mats from under the carpet and behind the dash, saved about 60kg in total weight, and the only extra sound i got was of the engine which then sounded great even witha standard exhaust . . . might be an idea while the dash is out? and carpet stripped
also rear seatbelts and general otehr stuff thats not really necessary too
;)

EdMorris
19-08-08, 19:48
Hmm, thats quite the opposite to me. I've been putting more sound deadening and foam in, to combat road, tyre, wind and vibration noise. I like it luxury car quiet so I can hear my tunes better. I'm thinking of putting some lightweight seats in to reclaim some of the extra weight.

H7ERO
19-08-08, 19:51
thats cool , i just have this obsession with throwing half the car in the bin i keep doing it then nobody wants to buy the car after i wonder why?:rolleyes:

EdMorris
19-08-08, 19:57
Yeah I suppose there is a temptation to bring the weight down, but like I say its gonna be a daily driver so need my luxuries and quiet cabin. Anyway, I'm thinking that 400 bhp should help deal with any weight issues ;)

EdMorris
21-08-08, 14:12
Interior is now at Gibson Trimming, but I have yet to start on stripping the rest of the car. Been on early shifts and they kill me. Going to do some work on it this weekend as I'm off for a change. Some delays getting all the parts I need at the moment but should be sorted soon, then all the fun really begins.

A few more pics. First bits of the interior in the van; sealed arches, not sure what difference it will make; carbing strut brace probably won't clear intake on V8, shame; one of the dash panels wrapped in alcantara - ooooh so smooooth (again by Vince, top job).

EdMorris
13-09-08, 18:08
Well, not much has been happening on the car itself lately so no major updates I'm afraid. I've been spending most of my time sourcing parts, still, and sorting out the final details for the shipping of the engine and gearbox from the states. Let me tell you, its a major headache trying to get everything where its supposed to be on the right day before the boat sails. Lots of emails and phone calls etc., but at least I'm working with people who know what they're doing and are very helpful, i.e. Eric at TTC performance and Dusty at MVP. I can't recommend these guys enough, thanks chaps :thumbs:

Anyway, all being good these major components should sail around the 24th september, and if that happens (fingers crossed) I can expect delivery around mid october. I should also get some parts from Nic (:thumbs:) around this time too, so I can get on and start putting things back together.

Meanwhile, I've been plugging away getting all the bits off the engine to take it out the car. Latest breakthrough was getting the rusted/seized bolts off the exhaust and removing the system. What a pig of a job, had to use my trusty angle grinder in the end. Still, with that done its onto removal of the main engine unit and transmission. I may drain the gearbox oil and split it from the engine to make things a bit easier. I'll let ya know how I get with that and will update with some pics when I get a chance.

Thats it for now. :)

EdMorris
12-10-08, 13:33
Quick update.

Finally got around to removing the engine and transmission yesterday. With the aid of my father, we had no trouble at all getting them out of the car. Didn't bother draining the 'box or splitting the units, and was very surprised how easy the job was in the end.

Next on the list is to get the car ready for painting, so need to remove the rear 1/4 glass and some other little bits and bobs. Then get onto GVN to book her in, hopefully this week.

Managed to get hold of a 6 speed diff from Paul at Whifbitz, cheers mate, so the only major parts left to get are the prop and o/s rear driveshaft. May get those new, but won't need them for a while as they'll be one of the last jobs I tackle.

Some pics, sorry about the geeky one of me.

MarkR
28-10-08, 00:32
I saw your car on Saturday at GVN. I love that colour. I told Gerald to swap our cars around without you noticing ;)

Good luck with the project.....

EdMorris
28-10-08, 15:47
Nice one. Toyota did a good job with that colour, although I'm having thoughts of a different one, now that I've been looking. Typical :rolleyes:

Yours wouldn't happen to be a silver grey colour, would it? I like your wheels if its the one I saw yesterday.

Might as well do a quick update while I'm here.

As you can tell, the car has gone to GVN (or G and N, I believe it is now), for an overhaul of the paint and some minor jobs. Removing aerial and filling the hole left, removal of rain guard things as one is cracked, de-badging, fixing the sill, new doortrims/seals, and fitting of zunsport grille. Left the rear wiper on as decided its quite handy in the winter.

Colour may be changing if they can find the formula that I want, but this is gonna stay a surprise for now :p

Picked up my brand spanking new getrag v160 from the docks last week, and the engine is finally ready to ship (thanks Eric :thumbs:), as you'll know if you've been following the sister thread. I expect the paint shop will have the car for a fair few weeks so its waiting time again, and when I get her back I should have all the rest of the parts for the manual conversion.

I really feel like I'm getting somewhere now, and I know I'll feel even better once she's painted.

Some pics.

JamieP
28-10-08, 16:46
Brand new box, yummey:) your car is going to be stunning.

EdMorris
28-10-08, 16:56
I hope so. By the time I'm done, they'll probably be more new bits than original. Perhaps I should do a cost breakdown like you did Jamie?

MarkR
28-10-08, 19:28
I hope so. By the time I'm done, they'll probably be more new bits than original. Perhaps I should do a cost breakdown like you did Jamie?

Or maybe that would just scare everyone :)

MarkR
28-10-08, 19:28
Oh, yes it was mine... filthy dirty too... So embarrassed

EdMorris
29-10-08, 12:28
Or maybe that would just scare everyone :)

Including me most probably.

fruity_south
29-10-08, 18:49
i remember when i said i was going to do this swap that people laughed and said that "if it was that easy dont you think we would of all done it". are you following the same swap as thor racing did. thats the one im going for, the sc400 4.0l v8. are you doing all the work yaself, i look forward to seeing the fabrication for the engine mounts and if all is succesfull will be email you next summer with some advice questions if thats ok?

cowboy bebop
29-10-08, 20:23
The Sc400 distributor type V8 is really an inferior V8 when compared side by side to the 2uzfe, or even the 1uzfe VVt-I. The head ports are totally different and even the valve's are larger.

Eric

fruity_south
29-10-08, 20:34
so that means what. that the one he is using in this project is better? all these 1uz and 2uz floating around its all very confusing. what does the 2uzfe come from then if that is better?

cowboy bebop
29-10-08, 21:16
The early 1uz is the distributor driven old design toyota V8. It's been in service in the SC400 from 92-97. In 1998, toyota revamped the V8 and completely changed the head design. The ports are much more conducive to making HP on the new V8, and the coil on plug configuration changes the game. Also the valves are larger on the new V8's.

Here's a quick look at the differences between the models. There are more intricate differences but this will give a good overview.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UZ_engine

fruity_south
29-10-08, 21:20
thanks for that mate and sorry EdMorris for the slight high jack, look forward to seeing the work

EdMorris
30-10-08, 13:01
No problem fruity. Eric is the man when it comes to the technical side, he's the guy who has built my engine. At the beginning if this thread there's a link to engine build thread.

Once the engine arrives here I'll be doing the installation myself, but I will probably entrust the new loom fabrication to Thor racing. I'm not that good at electrical stuff and ecu's. All progress will be put on this thread and yes any more info you want just pm me.

EdMorris
10-11-08, 15:45
Few more bits came in at the end of last week, all from Steve Manley at Inchcape Toyota. Thanks to him.
New 6 speed propshaft and rear driveshaft.
New heater matrix (as dash is off, thought I'd replace it).
New door trims.

Also, I had to order some replica oem side skirts, as my drivers side one was beyond repair. Thanks to Paul at Whifbitz.

Last time I was at G and N, the preparation for painting was well underway. Ariel hole and de-badging had been done and Jarad was busy at work sanding. Chose the colour at last, and have gone for a similar brown colour to the toyota one, except its slightly reddish and picks up the light better. Its a lambo colour and was created for a special edition VT diablo. Lambo made 42 of these 'VT 6.0SE' cars and painted 21 in gold, and 21 in this brown colour. Here's a pic of it. I think it will look great on the supra.

MarkR
10-11-08, 15:56
...Chose the colour at last, and have gone for a similar brown colour to the toyota one, except its slightly reddish and picks up the light better. Its a lambo colour and was created for a special edition VT diablo. Lambo made 42 of these 'VT 6.0SE' cars and painted 21 in gold, and 21 in this brown colour. Here's a pic of it. I think it will look great on the supra.

That's a lovely colour!!

AndrewOW
10-11-08, 15:57
Fabulous colour IMO. Good choice :)

EdMorris
10-11-08, 15:58
Thanks. I wanted something a bit different. Can't wait to see how it looks.

Matt H
10-11-08, 16:00
Cool, project :thumbs: liking the diablo colour too. Look forward to seeing how that looks on a supra :)

EdMorris
10-11-08, 16:10
It seems to be coming together. So much to think about, the project has turned into a full rebuild really. I never intended for it to go this far, I just wanted some more power and a manual transmission. Still, hopefully I'll just be able to relax and enjoy it once finished, without the need to upgrade anything (yeah, like our cars are ever finished, eh?).

Forgot to mention, the interior bits should be ready for collection at the weekend and I'm very much looking forward to seeing how thats turned out. I'll post some pics as soon as I have them.

Stonkin
10-11-08, 17:33
Thats going to be a lovely colour mate :thumbs:

Luxluc
10-11-08, 17:44
Thats going to be a lovely colour mate :thumbs:

:yeahthat:

very special :)

EdMorris
11-11-08, 09:58
Going to be around the start of december before I get the car back, but rest assured pics will be posted.

EdMorris
12-11-08, 16:32
Called the body shop today to advise of the side skirts being delivered soon, and Gerald tells me the car has some colour on it. Couldn't resist popping in on the way home from work. Well, I can say with some assurance that the colour is stunning. Plus, there is more work to do on the finish. I'd be happy the way it is now so I think the final quality of the job will make me speechless. The pics are taken on my camera phone so not great quality. I'm going back tomorrow, so will take my Nikon. :d

Mike M
12-11-08, 16:51
Stunning paint job, absolutely lovely job.

Tricky-Ricky
12-11-08, 17:27
Very nice mate, always liked a dark cherry :)

Luxluc
12-11-08, 19:54
Nice :)

cowboy bebop
12-11-08, 21:33
Let's get that V8 in there Ed. :)

Eric

MarkR
12-11-08, 23:21
Nice Ed.... While you're there, do me a favour and ask Gerald to call me about my parts... cheers

Mark

EdMorris
13-11-08, 18:09
Let's get that V8 in there Ed. :)

Eric

Yes indeed! My newly painted engine bay is pining for it. You heard from the shippers yet? If not I'll chase them up.

I'll ask Gerald on tues when I'm back there Mark as I didn't get your request till today.

As promised here are some better pics. More prep being done :D

EdMorris
13-11-08, 18:12
More of the bumpers, etc.

MarkR
14-11-08, 11:01
That's really coming along nicely...

cowboy bebop
14-11-08, 20:54
Ed, I dont know if they sent you an e-mail, but the shipper came to pick up the V8 :)

Eric

Jellybean
14-11-08, 21:14
subscribed

EdMorris
16-11-08, 12:18
Ed, I dont know if they sent you an e-mail, but the shipper came to pick up the V8 :)

Eric

Excellent. Glad its out of your way now. Shame it doesn't sail for a while. The boat it will be on is scheduled to arrive on dec 17th, but I don't expect that will be met. If it arrives before xmas I'll be happy. Best present I'll ever receive I would think.

Picking up some interior bits on tuesday, so will post some pics for you chaps.

cowboy bebop
18-11-08, 21:44
I am looking very forward to seeing the V8 dropped into the subframe :)

Thanks again!

Eric

EdMorris
19-11-08, 15:08
Picked up some of the interior bits yesterday. Came out beautifully and the colour is superb, a bit darker than the pics.

EdMorris
19-11-08, 15:09
Centre console too.

JamieP
19-11-08, 15:13
Your car is going to be stunning.:)

EdMorris
19-11-08, 15:14
The seats, door cards, rear quarter panels and boot panels are awaiting Vince to work his magic. Will have new carpet too. :d

G and N have finished the re-spray save for the side skirts, which I have exchanged for Ridox ones. I'll be there on Friday, so will take my camera for the all important photo's.

EdMorris
19-11-08, 15:14
Thanks Jamie. Yours already is. :)

ajazyasin
19-11-08, 16:43
wow. dare to be different and it pays off. Well done.;)

Tricky-Ricky
19-11-08, 17:25
Very nice, very orangey, so what is the paint colour? is it a dark cherry, or a burnt orange?

MarkR
19-11-08, 19:30
I forget... who's doing the retrim? Very good job. Love the orange!

DannoSupra
19-11-08, 22:31
Looks very very nice matey! Would also like to know who did the retrim and if you dont mind me askin, what sort of price they charge?

vase
19-11-08, 22:34
The interior bits look excellent!

cowboy bebop
19-11-08, 23:13
Wow, that's fast work. It took me about a year to get my interior wrapped. :)

Eric

EdMorris
20-11-08, 10:01
Very nice, very orangey, so what is the paint colour? is it a dark cherry, or a burnt orange?

The paint is a dark reddish brown. There are some photo's earlier in thread.

EdMorris
20-11-08, 10:02
I forget... who's doing the retrim? Very good job. Love the orange!

Vincent of Gibson trimming. Nice chap too.

EdMorris
20-11-08, 10:19
Looks very very nice matey! Would also like to know who did the retrim and if you dont mind me askin, what sort of price they charge?

Its pricey, but the work is superb. The dash has no seams at all (except on the ends), even though its a complex curved shape. So far its cost me, wait for it, 2700. Ouch! I must be mad. I should also state that the leather is of a high standard.

That price is for the main dash, centre console, scuff plates and bits by feet, steering cowl, and a pillars, all in leather. Dash panels have been done in alcantara. For me, the inside of the supra is the only bit that looks dated, but now it will look and feel and smell like an Aston. Lovely.

Vince is doing some nice detailing on the seats and door cards that I've asked for and I hope it comes out well. I'll update you as soon as he's done.

Tricky-Ricky
20-11-08, 10:23
The paint is a dark reddish brown. There are some photo's earlier in thread.

That's why i asked, as there are two sets of pics, one lot looks cherry, and the other looks brown:blink:

EdMorris
20-11-08, 10:26
Ah ok, well its more the dark cherry than orange. The flash on some of the pics made it look a bit lighter. I'll take some better ones outside the body shop when its done. I think the colour of the interior will contrast nicely.

Just looked at those pics and you're right, looks like 2 colours. Its more like the first set. Cheers.

DannoSupra
20-11-08, 23:10
I was thinking of getting my main dashboard, centre console and door pillars done in black leather with silver stitching

I'll give them a shout! Cheers buddy, i wudnt say that price is too much, it aint cheap but if the quality is there, and it certainly looks it, then its got to be worth it :thumbs:

Again, Very Nice ;)

Axle
21-11-08, 21:23
I am very tempted to order one of these engines.

But i am greedy, and want a twin turbo bolted onto the 5.4L.:(

Then i would need to do a manual conversion.

Damn you Cowboy...

cowboy bebop
21-11-08, 21:40
Hhaahhaaa... well, we've got the 5.4L stroker crank on the shelf as well as a set of billet mains for the 4 bolt main conversion.

http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2008/11/428.jpg

PM me when you get a chance, I can't I'm sure we can work something out.

Eric

Axle
21-11-08, 22:42
PM me when you get a chance, I can't I'm sure we can work something out.

Eric

I have :D

cowboy bebop
21-11-08, 23:18
Yeah, I sent you a PM. Let's reconfigure. :)

Eric

Tee from China
25-11-08, 18:04
Any updates Ed.......we need more pictures:eyebrows:

EdMorris
26-11-08, 16:20
Not at the moment. Car is just awaiting side skirts, need to call Gerald to find out the status on this. As soon as I have finished pics of the re-spray I'll post 'em up.

The boat with my engine on was scheduled to leave Jacksonville today. Hopefully there were no delays. With a good tail wind I should expect some news on the 17th dec. I'm not holding my breath though, as I've come to realise that shipping companies work on a different calendar system to everyone else. If I get delivery for xmas I'll be happy.

The last of my manual conversion parts finally arrived with Nic, and now he has posted the lot to me (thanks Nic). When they arrive here I can at last get my hands dirty putting things back together. I must admit I'm slightly apprehensive about cutting the sub tunnel for the manual tranny. If anyone has any tips on this I'd be grateful for the advice.

Cheers.

Homer
26-11-08, 18:12
If anyone has any tips on this I'd be grateful for the advice.

Yep, plenty! Did this for the first time a few months ago and it was a "learning experience" :D

We can have a chat closer to the time if you would like? Could even pop round as you're only 15 minutes away.

EdMorris
27-11-08, 12:35
Ah yes I remember you offering to pop round. That would be great. I'll pm you nearer the time. Cheers.

EdMorris
28-11-08, 15:51
Received most of the manual conversion parts today, cheers Nic. However, I think I've got an auto brake pedal instead of the smaller pad 6 speed one. What do you think? I can't check it with my car as its still at G and N. Does look a bit large, even though the part numbers match up.

garethr
28-11-08, 18:04
You can check the part numbers here (http://www.toyodiy.com).

cowboy bebop
28-11-08, 20:17
That indeed does look to be an auto pedal.

Eric

colsoop
28-11-08, 21:50
Just checked the EPC and as above it is an Auto pedal.

EdMorris
29-11-08, 17:02
Thanks for the replies. I thought as much. :rolleyes:

EdMorris
18-12-08, 16:49
Its been a while since the last update and this was due to the set back with the side skirts. Well, I've just come from the body shop and I can tell you that the painting is all done. The car looks stunning if I may be so bold, and as ever the pics don't do it justice. I turned down the flash this time to give you a better idea of the true colour. Hope you like it. I'm very happy indeed. :d

Another set back has shown its head though. The new windscreen is leaking badly through the rubber. It appears to me that a generic rubber has been used and not a supra specific one. Get this, they can't come back to fix it until Jan 6th. So the car is still at G and N. Anyway, I've decided to make use if this extra time and asked them to do the sub tunnel mod for me. It will be welded in place rather than bonded/bolted by me. So at least I'm still making some headway with the project, even though its not being done by me.

Oh, I almost forgot. The engine should be delivered week of the 29th. :d:d:d

Enjoy the pics.

supradibbs
18-12-08, 18:17
My god your car is gonna be awesome love the colour love the panels and the engine is just sex

Well done for a very unique project i wish you all the luck

JamieP
18-12-08, 18:21

Very much looking forward to this unique car:cool:

EdMorris
22-12-08, 16:57
Thanks for the comments, glad you like it so far. Soon as I get it back at home I'm gonna do a few jobs before my winter hol, so there should be at least one more update early jan. Then it will be a bit quiet 'till feb.

By the way, the welding job on the tunnel is very good. Looks like its always been that way. Even painted to match the interior colour of the original floorpan. Also, the underneath will be undersealed.

supradriver
22-12-08, 16:59
looking good :)

Matt H
22-12-08, 17:12
Very interesting project, coming together for you. The colours for the interior and paintwork seem to go well together, but i don't think i'm a fan. Love to see it in the flesh though, prehaps i'll change my mind. Good work :thumbs:

EdMorris
22-12-08, 17:20
I think it will be a love it or hate it once finished. The colours are a bit unusual and I hope it won't be too over the top inside. Time will tell on that one.

EdMorris
07-01-09, 11:32
Some great news. My engine arrived earlier today :yahoo:

Very well packed as you can see from the pics, nice one Eric :thumbs:. I didn't take all the packing off as it has moved slightly on the pallet, but I will do once my hoist is on it (just in case it falls), after which, I'll post some better pics.

Also, I'm collecting the car on friday :yahoo:. RAC auto windscreens have still to put their mistake right but I'll get them to come to me, as they've mucked me about for weeks. I ordered the correct rubber from Steve Manley myself as they seem to be inept. Anyway, all is good and I'm glad to finally have everything I need (save for the electrical bits), to start getting on with things. Shame the weather is bitterly cold mind.

EdMorris
07-01-09, 11:34
Typical, forgot the pics. Here they are.

EdMorris
07-01-09, 11:36
Couple more.

supra dan
07-01-09, 11:47
bet you cant wait to get it fitted :)

EdMorris
07-01-09, 11:52
Too right. I want to get out there now, but all I can do is move the boxes around. Ah well, in the words of Baron Greenback "soooon stiletto". :)

benkei
07-01-09, 12:04
Exciting project! :D

Matt H
07-01-09, 13:12
Typical, forgot the pics. Here they are.

Couple more.

Loooks very tasy! :cool:

cowboy bebop
07-01-09, 14:47
Ed, I'm VERY happy that it arrived [and that we had three straps on it ] :) It looks like the cradle may have come apart in the rear, but the motor is still in good shape. Outstanding man! I'm very happy for you!

Eric

chris2o2
07-01-09, 14:56
Your one lucky man :D
Im soo jealous , car looks awesome mate.

Is that your porker in the pictures as well :D?!?!

EdMorris
07-01-09, 16:28
Ed, I'm VERY happy that it arrived [and that we had three straps on it ] :) It looks like the cradle may have come apart in the rear, but the motor is still in good shape. Outstanding man! I'm very happy for you!

Eric

Thats right the crate came apart a bit, and when I went to unwrap the flywheel box, the whole engine rocked forward - eek! As you say though, no damage and all the extra bits were still there. :)

EdMorris
07-01-09, 16:31
Your one lucky man :D
Im soo jealous , car looks awesome mate.

Is that your porker in the pictures as well :D?!?!

Well thats my dad's. Lovely car that, so nice to drive. If I could get my supra to feel and handle like the porsche steering wise I would be beside myself.

EdMorris
09-01-09, 17:13
Picked up the car from G&N today. Took a few pics of it in the brief sunlight as its the first time I've seen the new paint outside. Very pleased with it. Upon closer inspection at home the only issue I have is with the new door trims not quite matching up with the rear quarter trims. Anyone else have this after a respray? Its a minor gripe which I'm sure can be rectified. Anyway, I'm glad to finally have it back so work can start on the rebuild. Hope you like the pics.

EdMorris
09-01-09, 17:14
Couple more taken at home.

Kranz
09-01-09, 17:16
What colour is that?....... sort of reminds me of a mix of brown and purple :D

Burple?? ;)

JamieP
09-01-09, 17:18
Colour is a bit marmite for me, im not sure if i like it or not yet.

EdMorris
09-01-09, 17:20
Ha ha, yeah kind of. Browny in the sun, turns dark cherry colour in the shade. Its called marone eclipsis (in Italian).

Chris Wilson
09-01-09, 17:20
Whatever it is, it's very tasteful and IMO really suits the car. Nice project!

EdMorris
09-01-09, 17:21
Colour is a bit marmite for me, im not sure if i like it or not yet.

True, not to all tastes, but I wanted to be different. It looks nice in the metal, so to speak.

EdMorris
09-01-09, 17:25

Thanks. I have quite a lairy interior so hopefully the colours will balance out.

Cannuck
10-01-09, 19:58
Hey Ed, got a few questions for you. Why did you pick a 2UZ instead of a 3UZ or even a UR?

How hard was it to convert it into a 6 speed manual?

Would it be easier for to convert it to a 5 speed manual?

Alex
10-01-09, 20:09
Hey Ed, got a few questions for you. Why did you pick a 2UZ instead of a 3UZ or even a UR?

There are lots of answers to the 1st question already...have a search ;)

Cannuck
12-01-09, 03:41
Hmmm yeah I searched "2uz vs 3 uz"
http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/search.php?searchid=5689118

didn't get much info on that...

Well you seem to know where those answers were, could you direct me to them please?

EdMorris
13-01-09, 11:34

As Alex says, lots of info. regarding the first question. However, I was very tempted by a similar project that Eric of TTC performance carried out using the same motor. I was originally going to use a Chevy V8, but I liked the idea of keeping everything toyota and it was a bit of a different choice to the usual USA V8's.

School is out on the conversion as all I've had done so far is the welding of the sub tunnel which is required for the extra height of the V160 gearbox. Seemed to be a straight forward enough job though, admittedly carried out by a bodyshop. There is an alternative to welding which is well documented on the forum.

I suppose it would be a similar job to convert to the 5 speed but I don't know what is involved in that so can't really help much. You could probably use whatever gearbox you like as long as the shifter location is right and you have any necessary adapters, release bearings etc, for it to mate and work with your chosen engine. Again the more technical guys on here may be of more help.

Matt H
13-01-09, 12:49

Right thats it, Chris Wilson likes it........... I hate it!

Cannuck
14-01-09, 01:36
As Alex says, lots of info. regarding the first question. However, I was very tempted by a similar project that Eric of TTC performance carried out using the same motor. I was originally going to use a Chevy V8, but I liked the idea of keeping everything toyota and it was a bit of a different choice to the usual USA V8's.

School is out on the conversion as all I've had done so far is the welding of the sub tunnel which is required for the extra height of the V160 gearbox. Seemed to be a straight forward enough job though, admittedly carried out by a bodyshop. There is an alternative to welding which is well documented on the forum.

I suppose it would be a similar job to convert to the 5 speed but I don't know what is involved in that so can't really help much. You could probably use whatever gearbox you like as long as the shifter location is right and you have any necessary adapters, release bearings etc, for it to mate and work with your chosen engine. Again the more technical guys on here may be of more help.

Thanks dude

EdMorris
05-02-09, 19:28
I started to tackle some jobs on the car today. First up was the heater matrix change as I already have the dash off, preemptive strike so to speak.

What a pig of a job even with most of the work already done and no engine to get in the way of removing water pipes. Anyway, it went mostly to plan except I messed up the head of one of the small clamp screws on the matrix so I'll need to get a new one in order to finish the job tomorrow. Oh, and I cracked a bit of the plastic case at the bottom of the assembly when I removed it. Typical, first job and I cock it up. Still, I can patch up the small crack and all will be good.

After the above job is done I'll install my new clutch and brake pedal. Hopefully that will be fairly straight forward and if all goes well I may even get to tackle the rear driveshaft and diff before I go back to work on sunday. As always I'll keep you all posted.

SUPRALOOPY
05-02-09, 19:52
Right thats it, Chris Wilson likes it........... I hate it!

Why? Or am I missing something here?

Ian W
05-02-09, 19:56
Why? Or am I missing something here?

Surely you knew he's a twat by now? :search:

Matt H
05-02-09, 19:58
Surely you knew he's a $#@! by now? :search:

Fancy a number plate baba?

Ian W
05-02-09, 19:59
Fancy a number plate baba?

Nah, I've realised they're only for tossers. Did you say you were after another?

Anyway, back on topic. Car looks good EdMorris :thumbs:

SUPRALOOPY
05-02-09, 20:00
Surely you knew he's a twat by now? :search:

I have met him and NO not a twat. But gullable yes:d:p

Matt H
05-02-09, 20:01
Nah, I've realised they're only for tossers. Did you say you were after another?

Nah thats shopping lists down the side of the car. Very Chav.

Yeah got a new one, in with the new, out with the old.

Homer
05-02-09, 20:26
After the above job is done I'll install my new clutch and brake pedal. Hopefully that will be fairly straight forward and if all goes well I may even get to tackle the rear driveshaft and diff before I go back to work on sunday. As always I'll keep you all posted.

Just in case you'd not realised already do the clutch pedal while the dash is off and the steering column partially out of the way, it's a pig to get to the bolts otherwise. Not a difficult job though, but you will need a large drill bit to cut the hole out for the pusrod and securing brackets, thanksfully the shape and position is stamped into the firewall for you.. thoughtfull lot those Toyota fellas.

EdMorris
06-02-09, 19:11
Yeah thats the plan, do the in car mods then move to the interesting bits. Thanks for the info. I have a little guide too that I found on the mkiv.com site. All the trim will be the last thing I put back as I don't want to ruin Vince's handywork.

I was replacing the heater assembly today and when I got to the crash bar I noticed a small, silver retainer type bar that I recall goes above the steering column and underneath the crash bar. However, I can't seem to see how it fits (or remember from yesterday!). Does anyone know off hand or have a pic of this area? Thanks.

Tee from China
15-02-09, 03:57
Hi Ed, loving this build and have a small question for you, what will/have you done about a tacho? as bebop used new dials? Keep up the fantastic work Tee

Ryan.G
15-02-09, 12:15
Hi Ed, loving this build and have a small question for you, what will/have you done about a tacho? as bebop used new dials? Keep up the fantastic work Tee

The ecu that Ed has will drive any Tacho he wants including Stock

cowboy bebop
15-02-09, 14:47
Ed's ECU is one hell of a good unit. :)

Eric

Tee from China
16-02-09, 02:54
so no matter what cylinder configurations the ECU can cope? Some kit!!:D

EdMorris
16-02-09, 13:12

Eric's dials are great and it wasn't until I saw them that I thought what a great idea. However, I had already got my dash covered in rather pricey alcantara, so I'll be sticking with the standard setup for now.

EdMorris
12-03-09, 18:30
A bit of progress since last post.

Diff has been removed to be replaced with a cleaned up and painted 6 speed item. Rear left driveshaft removed to be replaced with new item, to match up to diff. See my for sale thread if you need some n/a spares. I had to order some new top support mounts as the ones on the car were shot. These should arrive tomorrow or saturday, so the job can be finished then.

2uz starter motor has been tested and works fine, so this is in the process of being cleaned up and painted/polished, as you will be able to see it clearly through the custom intake manifold.

Clutch and bearing headache still ongoing as I'm waiting for a spacer plate to fit between the flywheel and new clutch back plate. One arrived today but was wrong type :rolleyes: I'll get some pics of me building the flywheel/clutch up on the engine when the time eventually comes. It will explain things a bit better than my waffle.

Vince is nearly done with the seats so I'll also get some pics up of those when collected. They look great!

Oh, and the coil pack connector should arrive tomorrow so I can see if it fits. If so, I order 7 more and will be that bit nearer to getting my bespoke loom made up.

Cheers, Ed

Matt H
12-03-09, 18:56
Such a good build thread. Looking forward to seeing these seats :thumbs:

EdMorris
12-03-09, 19:05
Thanks, I've learned loads about the supra, and car stuff generally, doing this. See the link for a teaser pic of the seat, rubbish quality though.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=178861&highlight=photoshop+request

EdMorris
26-03-09, 14:53
Yet another set back.

Installed the diff the other day but when fitting the driveshaft, I found that two of the bolt hole threads for the side gear shaft are knackered, on the right side (see pics). I'm wondering if I would be able to recut the threads without removing the gear shaft, what do you think? If not and it needs replacing, does anyone know if the side gear shafts are the same for the 6 speed as for the n/a. I have a spare n/a diff you see. I know I'll need a new c clip, oil seal etc, as I've just consulted the supra manual.

Any advice welcome, thanks.

Chris Wilson
26-03-09, 15:37
Clarify which holes have knackered threads Ed. The ones in the diff output flanges, or the ones in the diff casing itself that take the (rusty) bolts holding the bearing carriers? I can almost certainly rescue them if required.

EdMorris
26-03-09, 16:48
In the first picture, its the threads that you can see without bolts. Its where the rear driveshaft attaches to the diff, or as you describe it, the output flanges.

Thanks Chris

Chris Wilson
26-03-09, 20:02
I can helicoil them, but would need the output flange here, if it's any help.

EdMorris
27-03-09, 10:55
I'll call you about this Chris, thanks.

EdMorris
27-03-09, 18:27
Since the diff is causing me problems, I turned my attention back to the release bearing issue, now that I have some extra parts.

First, I installed the flywheel and clutch to the engine, using these extra spacer parts, so that everything mounts up flush. I'll need some longer bolts when I finally come to fit it for good, but for the purpose of this exercise a couple I had would suffice to fix it temporarily. After some jigging around with various hoists and jacks I managed to mount the gearbox to the engine. Success!

Then, I carefully wrapped a cable tie around the input shaft where it meets the clutch fingers. This would allow me to measure the distance from the gearbox bellhousing face to the clutch fingers (81mm). Now I can calculate the thickness of the retainer plate that I need to be made up, in order to fix the bearing assembly in place. I just subtract the overall height of the assembly plus the working clearance, from the above figure of 81mm - confused yet? I was untill I called CW a few weeks ago, but its rather straight forward when one is doing it. I'll get some pics up soon to help explain. Hopefully the engineering place recommended by JamieP will be open tomorrow so I can take the measurements down to them.

Also, I got my coil pack connectors and repair wiring. Just need the other connectors now, which Steve Manley (Oxford Toyota) is sourcing for me. He's been really helpfull actually, can't recommend him enough for your oem parts.

More as and when it happens.

Chris Wilson
27-03-09, 22:41
I have now finished the concentric slave set up for my Skyline RWD set up, did we decide we were actually using the same cylinder??

EdMorris
28-03-09, 09:08
Nope. I'm being persistent trying to get this one to fit, as it was supplied to me. The one you have looks a little easier to fit as it appears to have mounting points on the assembly itself. Did you still have to get a plate turned for this to sit onto? Looks very well fixed.

Chris Wilson
28-03-09, 10:02
Right, I remember now, yours is a floating one. I don't have any experience of those. Mine is affixed by three legs on a turned spacer, in turn bolted to the gearbox adaptor.

EdMorris
28-03-09, 10:30
Yeah thats a much more straight forward solution. Like I say, if 'd chosen the bearing myself I would have gone for the one you have. Much less headache, and I expect the engine and 'box would be in the car by now. Ah well, its a challenge.

On a side note, I may have a chap locally that can re-cut those threads we spoke about. However, if no joy I'll send you the part. Cheers.

EdMorris
02-04-09, 18:12
Got a price from Allround Engineering today. 200 to make up the plate I need plus a stud to stop the bearing assembly from rotating. Seems steep to me.

Chris Wilson, where did you order your bearing from please?

Chris Wilson
02-04-09, 18:19
Demon Tweaks, I only chose that particular one because they had it in stock and they are just up the road (almost..).

EdMorris
02-04-09, 18:23
Thanks, I'll see what they have and compare prices/ease of installation.

On a brighter note, the seats are done. Pick them up on sat. :)

EdMorris
02-04-09, 18:55
Ok, its gonna cost upwards of 200 for a different style bearing plus vat and delivery. I may as well get the plate made, but it will take about a week :rolleyes:

EdMorris
04-04-09, 17:01
Some pics of the seats and new carpet/mats for you to peruse. The work is top notch by Vince, again. Really needs to be seen to be fully appreciated. Just the doorcards and other panels still to be done.

The carpet is a dark chocolate colour which works great with the burnt orange leather and also with the exterior colour. :)

Kev.O
04-04-09, 17:29
Not my choice of colour, but they do look very well made. :thumbs:

MarkR
04-04-09, 19:56
The finish looks superb on those!

Tee from China
06-04-09, 13:45
:notworthy:yeahthat::respekt: brudy mavalous! when can we see some finished pictures Ed?

EdMorris
06-04-09, 17:39
Still loads to do, I keep hitting engineering problems that take ages to sort out. Not really sure when its gonna be totally finished to be honest.

I was out there today working on the diff. Managed to get the output flange off and compared to my n/a one. They are different sizes and lengths so those troublesome threads will need re-cutting. Hopefully, this shouldn't take too long to sort and will save me buying a new flange, oo-er.

PORNSTARRACING
06-04-09, 17:53
Some pics of the seats and new carpet/mats for you to peruse. The work is top notch by Vince, again. Really needs to be seen to be fully appreciated. Just the doorcards and other panels still to be done.

The carpet is a dark chocolate colour which works great with the burnt orange leather and also with the exterior colour. :)

that has to be one of the smartest retrims ive ever seen imo, when your reading about the engine this supra has, and then see that interior...just goes so well!!

EdMorris
06-04-09, 18:03
Thanks, its taking much longer than I first thought to do this project, but it will be everything I've always wanted.

I wish I could take credit for actually doing the stitching, its marvelous.

cowboy bebop
08-04-09, 02:18
That's the important part, Ed. If the car is everything you want it to be, then it's all worth it. Trust me. :) The leather work is top shelf, also. Very impressive.

Eric

EdMorris
22-04-09, 14:02
Right, some more progress pics.

Got the plate I need, plus the stud. Cost me 160 in the end, which is much better than I was originally quoted. Both parts are in stainless steel. The plate is hefty but does the job. New cap head bolts hold all in place, and I'm very happy with the result. I have piece of mind that the bearing will stay put. :)

EdMorris
22-04-09, 14:04
Some more.

EdMorris
22-04-09, 14:06
And some more. You can see a test fit if the clutch here too. I'll need longer bolts to fix it, but thats it thank goodness.

Also, the gold rings are the adapter plates to mate the V160 to the V8. I'll need to put a small cover plate on the base of this to prevent road crap entering the clutch area, as when its all bolted up there is a slight gap. Piece of mind again and its a simple job.

Chris Wilson
22-04-09, 15:03
Looks very well executed. You should be able to physically see and check release bearing clearance through the two apertures in the bellhousing when it's mated to the block. I bored a hole in my bellhousing so I could verify what's happening when mated up.

EdMorris
22-04-09, 15:08
Yes thats a blessing having the inspection holes. I used them when measuring up for the plate thickness.

Mas
22-04-09, 19:15
This is very interesting and coming together very well, well planned mate, all the best.

Tricky-Ricky
22-04-09, 19:37
Yes looking forward to seeing finished pics and hearing how well this performs, when is it likely to be running/on the road?

EdMorris
23-04-09, 09:06
Well, every deadline I've set has come and gone so far. Lets just say in time for Suprapod. If I don't meet that, I'll be miserable for sure.

EdMorris
26-04-09, 09:44
Finally installed the 6 speed diff on the car yesterday, and hit another snag trying to put the lock nut on the driveshaft. Nut goes on straight but only does up about half a centimetre before becoming very hard to turn. Can't seem to see any obvious damage, but will have a closer look this week. It never ends :rolleyes:

Chris Wilson
26-04-09, 20:44
If you can borrow a die the correct size and pitch you could clean up the C/V joint thread and buy a new nut.

EdMorris
27-04-09, 15:40
I think thats what I'll do. Paranoid about threads now. The nut seems fine as it goes on the other side (which is new), so it must be the driveshaft thread. Weird though as it came off no problem in the first place. Ah well.

EdMorris
09-05-09, 17:14
A little more progress. Pilot/spigot bearing for the V8 was a little narrow I thought, so I got a spacer made up to prevent it from shifting and moving off the input shaft. Bit boring I know, sorry there's no pics of it in the car yet. Soon though I hope. :)

EdMorris
27-05-09, 14:50
Installed the bearing, fine tuned the clearance with a few shims, torqued it up along with the clutch, and fitted the gearbox to the engine (hopefully for the last time). All I need to do now before fitting the lot into the car is to gat some more clips for the clutch line (along the bulk head). Mine broke as I tried to clamp it in place. So not long now before some pics worth posting.

Also, new rear brake discs, lines and pads arrived (thanks Mr Whiffin :thumbs:). Fitted one side yesterday, I'll get some pics up when I get around to taking some.

Matt H
27-05-09, 14:57
Looks like a top notch job mate. Really really impressed. Altough not 100% sure about the seat choices, the workmanship on them looks second to none!

Chris Wilson
27-05-09, 15:44
You aren't leaving those washers under the flywheel bolts are you Ed? Unless they are ground and hardened it's a real no no, and even ANY washer is to be frowned on unless an integral part of the bolt, which MUST be top, top quality. I have never seen a BZP *hardened* washer, so I suspect they are punched mild steel.

EdMorris
27-05-09, 18:43
You aren't leaving those washers under the flywheel bolts are you Ed? Unless they are ground and hardened it's a real no no, and even ANY washer is to be frowned on unless an integral part of the bolt, which MUST be top, top quality. I have never seen a BZP *hardened* washer, so I suspect they are punched mild steel.

D'oh! I thought as the original bolts had a washer (albeit 'integrated'), that I would use some too. Thought I was making things better rather than worse. Do I need to use special high tensile bolts too?

Looks like the gearbox is coming off again.

Chris Wilson
27-05-09, 23:29
Sorry, but this is a big thing. You need to use bolts of the correct tensile strength, ( ARP have the after market sewn up), with either a built in washer, or a hardened, ground washer. A loose or free flywheel is ALWAYS very bad news, for safety or crank longevity.

EdMorris
28-05-09, 19:21
Right, better get that sorted then. Cheers Chris.

Chris Wilson
28-05-09, 22:47
Yep, it's important, I can almost guarantee the flywheel will work loose as it is. Can you use the original flywheel bolts for a 2UZ, or is it a none stock flywheel you are using? ARP will have something, or you can see if any other Toyota uses something of the right length and thread et cetera. You need at least 2 x the thread diameter of threads engaged in the crank threads, and the flywheel holes should be seated virtually entirely on the shoulders of the bolts, not on the threads. If you get really stuck use top quality cap heads (Unbrako or something well respected) with no washers, but if it's a "funny" thread you probably won't find cap heads are available to suit. ARP may be able to match something though. I think I have the ARP master catalogue somewhere.

EdMorris
29-05-09, 14:23
I sent ARP an email regarding their specific flywheel bolts and getting some made to suit if possible. Waiting to hear back.

Its a standard M10 1.25 thread, but due to the shape of the clutch backplate I had to use another spacer for everything to match up and sit flush. This makes the standard bolts too short to fit.

My local fasteners place stocks Unbrako bolts. Its where I gat all my bolts from. I'll ask them too.

Any idea on the torque for these bolts once I get them? I used the settings from the supra manual as I thought it would be a good guide (49Nm plus an additional 80-100%).

Cheers.

Digsy
29-05-09, 14:44
I sent ARP an email regarding their specific flywheel bolts and getting some made to suit if possible. Waiting to hear back.

Its a standard M10 1.25 thread, but due to the shape of the clutch backplate I had to use another spacer for everything to match up and sit flush. This makes the standard bolts too short to fit.

My local fasteners place stocks Unbrako bolts. Its where I gat all my bolts from. I'll ask them too.

Any idea on the torque for these bolts once I get them? I used the settings from the supra manual as I thought it would be a good guide (49Nm plus an additional 80-100%).

Cheers.

See on your photo where the heads are marked "8.8"?

The bolts you want will be "10.9". Most socket cap heads are 10.9 as standard. If you buy off the shelf then get self coloured (black) ones as BZP high tensile bolts can sometimes be brittle.

A 10.9 flywheel bolt will need to be tightened to yeild, so the Toyta spec is probably a good place to start. I think (but I don't know) than a lot of aftermarket bolts like ARP are 12.9 so they can be tightened to give the same clamp load without stretching the bolt, so they can be re-used. The downside is that torque tightening is a lot less accurate that torque and angle or proper yeild tightening using a torque-sensing wrench.

EdMorris
29-05-09, 14:52
Aha, thats a similar to a reply from clublexus, although your explanation includes where one can find tensile strength markings on the bolt. I never knew this, thanks.

Digsy
29-05-09, 15:03
Well, they're not all marked the same way :) But any fastener supplier worth their salt will know what you want if you specify a 10.9 or a 12.9 fastener. Unbrako certainly will.

EdMorris
29-05-09, 16:00
Great advice chaps as always. ;)

As a side this came the other day. Massive 90mm throttle body from a Nissan Q45. Will mate up perfectly with Eric's custom intake :)

Matt H
29-05-09, 16:04
nice :cool:

stel
02-06-09, 21:13
looks great

EdMorris
10-06-09, 08:07
Question - are the engine mounts for TT and N/A the same? Specifically, the distance between the threaded bit and the small 'nipple' that locates the mount.

Thanks.

EdMorris
23-06-09, 20:33
ENGINE IN THE CAR!!! :d

Very good day today. A couple of mates helped me squeeze the V8 lump into the bay, and apart from a little faffing about with the engine mount brackets (I had them on the wrong sides to begin with :rolleyes:), it all went pretty smoothly.

I installed the engine together with the transmission, as I thought it would be easier to torque the trans bolts up off the car. Its very tight in there between the strut towers and the engine sits way back, so lots of space up front. I'm so chuffed to finally see it in the bay.

I'll get some pics up tmrw for you guys, after I've cleaned things up a bit. Got some time off work too so I intend to crack on with things.

cowboy bebop
23-06-09, 20:40
NOW THAT IS OUTSTANDING NEWS!!! :)

Eric

EdMorris
23-06-09, 20:44
I know, its been a long time coming but its finally in. Thanks for all your help with the mounts issue, Eric. I sourced some brand new OEM sc400 ones from Belgium in the end.

cowboy bebop
23-06-09, 20:49
No problem at all. With those stock isolators, the engine should drop in perfectly. In for pics. :)

Eric

EdMorris
23-06-09, 20:56
Yep, just a bit of jiggling around, moving and tying up pipes/hoses, and it seated fine.

Quick question. Will the standard oil filter fit in there? Looks like it might foul the roll bar, but I've not tried it yet. Also, did you manage to get any pics of your modified throttle body, Eric?

Cheers.

cowboy bebop
23-06-09, 21:42
The oil filter will foul the sway bar, so what I did was to install a relocation kit. The oil filter is now up front, just within reach. Here are the pics of the TB. Not the bet pics, but you can get the idea. All of the excess can be trimmed and/or removed, leaving just a basic design.

http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2009/06/912.jpg
http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2009/06/913.jpg
http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2009/06/914.jpg
http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2009/06/915.jpg

Chris Wilson
23-06-09, 22:54
Glad it's coming along now, you deserve total success, given your attention to detail.

EdMorris
24-06-09, 13:10
The oil filter will foul the sway bar, so what I did was to install a relocation kit. The oil filter is now up front, just within reach. Here are the pics of the TB. Not the bet pics, but you can get the idea. All of the excess can be trimmed and/or removed, leaving just a basic design.

Thanks Eric, just to confirm. The small pipe fittings at the back of the TB can be removed too, as they foul the intake, and the only bits left attached are the electrics and the throttle cable. Correct?

Also, is the relocation of the filter an easy job? Can I simply modify or make up a new bracket, or is it more involved than that? Looks like it only needs to come out and forward a bit to clear the bar.

Cheers.

EdMorris
24-06-09, 13:11
Glad it's coming along now, you deserve total success, given your attention to deatail.

I couldn't have got this far without your help Chris, and many others of course. ;)

EdMorris
24-06-09, 14:58
As promised, pics of the engine installed. Its minus the intake for the moment as it was easier to fit the lift hooks without it in position. Still a long way to go until the whole car is finished, but this is a milestone in terms of the build.

cowboy bebop
24-06-09, 14:58
Thanks Eric, just to confirm. The small pipe fittings at the back of the TB can be removed too, as they foul the intake, and the only bits left attached are the electrics and the throttle cable. Correct?

Also, is the relocation of the filter an easy job? Can I simply modify or make up a new bracket, or is it more involved than that? Looks like it only needs to come out and forward a bit to clear the bar.

Cheers.

Right, the TB can be broken down to it's base components. All you really need is a the TB wheel, the sensor, plate, and shaft. Everything else around the body can be ground down or removed to fit.

On the relocation kit, it's very easy to install. The hardest part will be deciding where to route your lines. It may be a good idea to think about an external oil cooler as well. I'm running a B&M -10AN oil cooler inseries with my oil filter lines and a random oil relocation kit like this one:

http://circuit-parts.ch/cpshop/images/d8e6_1.jpg

EdMorris
24-06-09, 15:02
Right, the TB can be broken down to it's base components. All you really need is a the TB wheel, the sensor, plate, and shaft. Everything else around the body can be ground down or removed to fit.

On the relocation kit, it's very easy to install. The hardest part will be deciding where to route your lines. It may be a good idea to think about an external oil cooler as well. I'm running a B&M -10AN oil cooler inseries with my oil filter lines and a random oil relocation kit like this one:

http://circuit-parts.ch/cpshop/images/d8e6_1.jpg

Thanks Eric. I'll see if any of the traders on here can supply a similar kit.

cowboy bebop
24-06-09, 15:04
As promised, pics of the engine installed. Its minus the intake for the moment as it was easier to fit the lift hooks without it in position. Still a long way to go until the whole car is finished, but this is a milestone in terms of the build.

WOW, that is beautiful. More and mroe to me the toyota V8 looks like it's the proper engine for the MKIV Supra. Sometimes when I see a 2jz in the bay, I get the feeling that it's the entirely wrong engine :)

Also on the waterneck, if you have to, you can trim the 45 degree bend off. That leaves you only a straight portion to deal with, and on that straight portion you can clamp on a silicon hose to the radiator. A word tot he wise though, make sure you clamp on the hose tight before you put the intake mani on. Once the intake mani is on, that area will be hard to get to.

Thanks again!!

Eric

EdMorris
24-06-09, 15:14
WOW, that is beautiful. More and mroe to me the toyota V8 looks like it's the proper engine for the MKIV Supra. Sometimes when I see a 2jz in the bay, I get the feeling that it's the entirely wrong engine :)

Also on the waterneck, if you have to, you can trim the 45 degree bend off. That leaves you only a straight portion to deal with, and on that straight portion you can clamp on a silicon hose to the radiator. A word tot he wise though, make sure you clamp on the hose tight before you put the intake mani on. Once the intake mani is on, that area will be hard to get to.

Thanks again!!

Eric

I suppose I can now officially say that I have a V8 supra?

Thanks for the tip on the water neck. ;)

EdMorris
01-07-09, 15:40
Need some advice on this one - oil cooling.

I've been looking into mounting a cooler while I'm relocating my filter. Space is, as most of you will know, quite tight. I wanted to fit one in the nearside headlight/indicator space, but after a conversation with merlin motosport, it appears the cooler size needs to bigger than I can comfortably fit in there. He then suggested a laminova heat exchanger type cooler. I did a search on here and wondered if anyone (CW?) has any thoughts on using this with my engine. It would make things a lot easier, but would it be sufficient? Any downside to using one? I suppose I could fit a fin type cooler in front of the rad where there is more space, but that means taking the front bumper/active spoiler off to gain good access, which I really don't want to do as its all finished paintwork.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Ark
01-07-09, 15:44
Well, you're not going to need an intercooler any more, so why not daisy chain two oil coolers together, one in each side pod?

EdMorris
01-07-09, 15:48
Well, you're not going to need an intercooler any more, so why not daisy chain two oil coolers together, one in each side pod?

Ah, now thats a great idea. I was so busy trying to make my simple diagram work that it didn't even cross my mind to run 2 smaller coolers. Thanks.

Gaz6002
01-07-09, 15:49
How about a cooler under the rear of the car, like the FD RX7?

EdMorris
01-07-09, 15:54
How about a cooler under the rear of the car, like the FD RX7?

Thats possible too I suppose. Decisions, decisions....

Ark
02-07-09, 11:10
Ah, now thats a great idea. I was so busy trying to make my simple diagram work that it didn't even cross my mind to run 2 smaller coolers. Thanks.

Just make sure you use nice big hoses: -10 minimum, preferably -12.

EdMorris
02-07-09, 12:17
Just make sure you use nice big hoses: -10 minimum, preferably -12.

A topic for further conversation, I think.

Most owners seem to use -10 or massive -12 for the oil lines. Speaking to the guys who sell the stuff, they reckon -8 is fine seeing as the system is pressurised. Having a bigger fitting and hose will make no difference in efficiency. The smaller size reduces the cost as the fittings and hose are cheaper and so it seems odd to me that sellers would recommend this when they can sell the bigger stuff at a higher price if its really preferable. Discuss.

supraGZaerotop
02-07-09, 12:23
what sort of power will this produce and how will it compare to a TT supra?

EdMorris
02-07-09, 12:56
About 400bhp.

paul mac
02-07-09, 12:58
A topic for further conversation, I think.

Most owners seem to use -10 or massive -12 for the oil lines. Speaking to the guys who sell the stuff, they reckon -8 is fine seeing as the system is pressurised. Having a bigger fitting and hose will make no difference in efficiency. The smaller size reduces the cost as the fittings and hose are cheaper and so it seems odd to me that sellers would recommend this when they can sell the bigger stuff at a higher price if its really preferable. Discuss.

the only reason to install bigger lines would be to keep the system pressure down, if the specialists are recomending
-8 i would go with that and keep an eye on oil pressure (particularly when cold) with a peak and hold pressure gauge.
Keeping pipe runs as short as possible and mounting the cooler in such a way as to minimise 90 degree bends would also help keep pressures at managable levels

EdMorris
02-07-09, 14:14
I agree. The hose specialists have advised me and I've gone with that. Time will tell if its the right decision. Thanks for the input guys.

EdMorris
02-07-09, 18:28
Propshaft was todays task, and a few snags came up. Sorry for long post. Couple of questions at the end.

First, the gearbox mount didn't really line up well when I installed the trans (see pics 1,2). I forced the mount forwards towards the front of the car in order to put the bolts in. I got it to mate up and the rubber took up the tension but I wasn't really happy with it. Anyway it was left like that until today.

After offering up the propshaft and bolting it in I realised that moving the trans forward a bit (by doing the above), left an 8mm gap from the diff flange to the prop. Also, the centre support bracket was not lining up well either.

After removing the trans mount and loosening the engine mount nuts a bit to allow a little movement, the gap has now been reduced to about 4mm (see pic 3, middle bolt - that green looking washer should sit inside the flange).

So, I tightened the bolts mating the prop to the trans. I thought I could then just tighten the bolts mating the diff to the prop, and the centre support bolts, then measure up for a new trans mount to be made that will line up perfectly. I did this, but noticed that the shaft was not being brought flush with the diff flange, just the rubber mounting bending out of shape at the point where the bolts are.

So, with the Toyota manual as reference, I see that there is an adjusting nut on the front part of the prop (see pic 4). I'm not sure exactly how this works as the manual is not very clear, but I'm assuming I can take up the 4mm gap by effectively extending the front part of the prop using this adjusting nut.

Am I correct, or is there more to it?
Has anyone done a similar operation on their car?
Also, its a brand new shaft, if that makes a difference?

I suppose an alternative is to make a 4mm spacer to fit between the prop and trans faces, and this might actually be simpler than getting involved trying to change the shaft length. Any thoughts greatly received.

Thanks, Ed

Tee from China
07-07-09, 07:03

Dont mean this in a nasty way but as Ed's car is a NA he never actually had an intercooler in the first place! But your suggestion was/is a good one :eyebrows:

EdMorris
07-07-09, 14:27
Anyone done the propshaft adjustment I mentioned, or even replaced the front portion at some time?

Chris Wilson
07-07-09, 14:55
As I recall the centre sliding section just slides and the nut doesn't and can't, lock up the sliding splines. I'd have thought there would be enough extension to accommodate the box and engine being a few mm further forward, it may be stuck due to the grease hardening in storage (it was probably made 15 years or more ago). The gearbox rear mount will need re fabricating, or new holes put in the chassis rails and captive nuts welding in (big job also). The manual goes to great pains about relative front and rear propshaft angles, to the point of obsessiveness. You'll know if there's an issue as you'll get either a thumping from the centre support bearing mount on take off, or a vibration from the prop when under way. If you pull the front section of the prop right out of the rear section be VERY careful. The front and rear U/J's are phased, and the sections need to go back EXACTLY as they come apart, so mark the splines before they separate.

EdMorris
07-07-09, 15:53
Thanks for the reply Chris.

I'm having a new mount fabbed up as we speak, which is gonna be about 170 due to the work involved and the ally being pricey. I also asked the chap making it for me about the prop. I took it with me for him to look at and you've just confirmed what his thoughts were, especially regarding the UJ's. He seems to think the nut grips some kind of collet arrangement that still allows movement in the shaft. I've personally never seen this kind of shaft before which is why its confusing me. I'll have another look at it now.

Cheers.

Tee from China
07-07-09, 18:01
Coming along nicely. Has Vinnie finished all the trimming now? when do you plan on completing? Cant wait to see it all together!

Chris Wilson
07-07-09, 18:27
It may have a water / dirt seal under it.

EdMorris
07-07-09, 20:01
Coming along nicely. Has Vinnie finished all the trimming now? when do you plan on completing? Cant wait to see it all together!

Should be finished with the door cards, rear quarter and boot panels by saturday. Have to take some parts back for minor repair due to the heat lately, but after that its pretty much done. I still need to decide what I'm doing with the gear shift panel too.

Not sure if I'll meet the suprapod deadline now though. Still have to wire the engine in, plumb it in, etc. Taking a while to sort this. Plus exhaust to be made and rear hubs to clean up and mount. Loads really, and I'm back to work now so less time to spare. Shame, I wanted to have it ready for the pod. Gutted actually :(

T2 MSW
07-07-09, 22:22
Ed, I can confirm the prop does slide in and out without touching the nut. I picked mine up and the front section fell off :( There is easily enough adjustibility to take up 4mm.

EdMorris
08-07-09, 16:24
Ed, I can confirm the prop does slide in and out without touching the nut. I picked mine up and the front section fell off :( There is easily enough adjustibility to take up 4mm.

Brilliant, thanks for that. I got bogged down yesterday evening cleaning the 6 speed hubs that will replace my n/a ones, so didn't get a chance to check it out. It must just be a little stuck, and as Chris mentioned its probably been sat around for quite some time. Thats a relief. My new gearbox support bracket should be ready tomorrow so I can try and fit it all up then. I'll let ya know how I get on.

EdMorris
09-07-09, 21:49
I got my custom gearbox bracket today and I can tell you its a thing of glory (pics to follow soon). Great job by Gary at Tak engineering in Slough, he comes highly recommended by me for all your custom bits and bobs. Tell him I sent you if you ever use him.

However, todays job was doing the left rear hub. Got the suspension arms off ok, but noticed all the ball joints need replacing as there is too much play in them and the rubbers are badly worn. Also, most of the bushes have seen better days. So, I'll be replacing all the main rear components on both sides (stock parts, unless there are better options?), which I expect will make a huge change to the handling once its all set up properly and a huge dent in my current account (goes to have another chat to the bank manager...). I need some prices on these parts if any of the traders are reading?

Also, the exhaust is going to be just under a grand to build. Thats everything excluding the manifold which I already have. The guys are powerflow fitters and have done numerous magazine featured cars. Anyone had experience of powerflow products? I'm not certain I'm going to use them but they are local which would be a bonus.

Cheers.

EdMorris
11-07-09, 20:13
As promised took some pics of the custom gearbox support. You can clearly see how much more rake I needed to get it to line up properly with the bolt holes. Still not tried it on the car yet, been taking off the rear suspension in preparation for new units :)

Chris Wilson
11-07-09, 20:41
VERY nice, and no doubt costly :)

EdMorris
11-07-09, 21:50
Yep, very well made. Cost was 170, but I gave Gary an extra tenner for a drink as he's been great helping me out.

EdMorris
25-07-09, 13:26
Just got these from Mike on here. Good job too replacing the bushes. He said he went for "solid" ones instead of 2 part jobbies. Reckons they are better. Cheers Mike, and thanks for bringing them round too :thumbs:

Better get on and fit them. :)

EdMorris
12-08-09, 11:59
Not updated in a while but a lot has been happening. No pics though sadly, as not much to photo. Oh, and sorry for long post.

Anyway, Ryan G put me in touch with a chap called Lyndon who has built my engine loom for the V8. He knows electrics like the back of his hand and spent no time at all splicing my engine into the old n/a loom. This means that all the previous supra electrics will work, and the harness simply plugs into the new link g3 ecu, and away we go. I can't tell how good it feels to have this part of the build underway.

Due to some parts not arriving from the states (and me forgetting to order injector plugs, d'oh!), we couldn't start her up. However, its about 95% done and so when Lyndon returns mid september, all will be ready to fire the beast.

The rear end fiasco has finally been sorted. New 6 speed driveshafts now mate up perfectly with 6 speed hubs, and new suspension arms both sides have been fitted. So apart from the diff it has new running gear all the way. The handling should be better too once its been given a full geometry setup due to new bushes and balljoints. New discs, pads and goodridge lines have also been fitted, and I'm currently cleaning and painting the calipers to match the interior colour - orange.

Yesterday, the car went to Enigmatec in Slough to have the custom exhaust fabricated. Suprash on here helped me out with transport (nice chap, recommended for this as he takes care loading and unloading). It'll probably take a while as they may have to make the flange thats mates the manifold to the downpipe, so the car is out of my hands for a bit. As soon as I get her back, I'll take some pics for you.

Till then....

EdMorris
30-09-09, 14:06
Sorry for no updates on this, but sweet F A has happened since the exhaust shop drama (which some of may know about). Anyway, the crap came off the paint with a clay bar and plenty of elbow grease, it just needs a final go over by a pro to be perfect.

I've finally got Pat at Primary Designs to give me a quote and a date for doing the exhaust system (properly this time). He's a hard chap to get hold of but comes highly recommended by CW which is why I've persevered. So the car will (hopefully), be going in for this job in a few weeks. I may get them to do a whole system from the manifold back, as the manifolds I have already seem a little shoddy compared with what I could have on there. Pat and I will also discuss making some intake pipework when I deliver the car to him.

As for all else, well I've been working hard trying to get some more funds to complete the project. There is still lots to do, including the oil lines (and mounting the cooler), fuel lines, brake system bleeding, clutch line and setup, rad fans and rad installation, and final wiring up of the engine. Plus countless other jobs not least of all putting the whole interior back in! Still, I'll try and pull my finger out and get some more things done asap, and maybe a more interesting update.

Chris Wilson
30-09-09, 15:07
He is hard to pin down, to be frank he only got back to you `cos I spoke to him the other day about something, he gets inundated with daft requests that come to nothing as he IS expensive and usually booked up in adavance. It's all but impossible to sort the time wasters from the real McCoy, so he has become difficult to pin down unless he's already done work for you. Nice way to be in a recession, isn't it? :) Whilst he'll have your trousers down on the price you can be sure it will be a thing of beauty and envy to others ;) Whilst "I have a Greddy Ti exhaust" has a certain cachet down the pub, "I had mine bespoke made by the people that make the exhausts for a lot of the current F1 grid" sounds better, huh? ;) Sadly such arrogance is tempered by the fact we can't actually afford a beer after going to them....

David Reid
30-09-09, 17:00
Hello

Sorry you have had bad experiance having your exhaust made, I would recommend Lance at OJZ who did the manifold on our SC RB30 its a work of art and for the amount of effort that went into the manifold I dont think very expensive

http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2009/09/735.jpg

http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2009/09/736.jpg

http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2009/09/737.jpg

http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2009/09/738.jpg

EdMorris
04-10-09, 18:47
Sadly such arrogance is tempered by the fact we can't actually afford a beer after going to them....

Ha ha, yeah the affordability of anything non car related at the moment seems impossible, hence the overtime at work. The quote he gave me was actually similar to the one I had from Enigma-cock-up, so I think it may have been a blessing in disguise since the workmanship will be far superior.

EdMorris
04-10-09, 18:50
Hello

Sorry you have had bad experiance having your exhaust made, I would recommend Lance at OJZ who did the manifold on our SC RB30 its a work of art and for the amount of effort that went into the manifold I dont think very expensive

Ooh, that does look good. However, I'm tied in with Primary Designs now, but thanks for the heads up.

EdMorris
05-11-09, 09:56
Quick update.

The car finally went to the exhaust chaps yesterday. Very nice bunch of lads and very professional outfit. I'll give you all the specs in a few weeks (hopefully), when I get her back, as there are a couple of options that need deciding on which will require some inspection first. One thing I do know is that the exit will be a 4 inch rolled in design, which fits quite nicely in the standard bumper cut out.

Chris Wilson
05-11-09, 10:00
Hello

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/Jeffers_S13/120120091673.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/Jeffers_S13/120120091674.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/Jeffers_S13/120120091675.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/Jeffers_S13/150420092259.jpg

That is a lovely looking installation, not seen that before, is there anywhere to read the specs or see some of the build? Thanks.

Chris Wilson
05-11-09, 10:01
Quick update.

The car finally went to the exhaust chaps yesterday. Very nice bunch of lads and very professional outfit. I'll give you all the specs in a few weeks (hopefully), when I get her back, as there are a couple of options that need deciding on which will require some inspection first. One thing I do know is that the exit will be a 4 inch rolled in design, which fits quite nicely in the standard bumper cut out.

Glad you are back on track Ed. Looking forward to some more updates soon!

EdMorris
05-11-09, 10:03
Me too. Renewed excitement traveling back from there yesterday. Makes a lot of difference when you have confidence in peoples ability.

pedrosixfour
05-11-09, 10:09
Glad you are back on track Ed. Looking forward to some more updates soon!

Keep your chin up Ed, this project seems to have turned into a real resolve tester, rather you than me.

In fact following this project has put me right off considering one of these installs!

I'm thinking Chevy, I'm thinking big ally block.

EdMorris
05-11-09, 10:20
That was my first choice actually. At least you know the power will be good, tried and tested. My dad has a built 383 stroker smallblock thats pushing 475bhp. Its in a kit car at the moment but he's thinking of selling the car minus the lump. I'm gonna persevere with this build, but if things go truly bad I'll think about putting the chevy in it.

You should chat to rxv8 (I think?) on here. He put a SB chevy in his.

pedrosixfour
05-11-09, 10:53
I will, as soon as I follow my bank manager home for a few more nights, just so I have his routine down to the last detail!

MarkR
05-11-09, 12:20
Ed, are you going to have the head off to have a look at the amount of material left?

EdMorris
07-11-09, 09:21
Ed, are you going to have the head off to have a look at the amount of material left?

Is that a response to the recent 2uz thread? I'm not intending to do anything to the motor before start up.

cowboy bebop
07-11-09, 13:02
Ed's V8 bowls are stock.

EdMorris
16-11-09, 17:33
Just had a call from Pat, car should be ready to collect on wednesday, with a nice shiny new exhaust fitted. :)

Tricky-Ricky
16-11-09, 18:22
Glad to here things are in motion again, looking forward to seeing some pics:)

EdMorris
16-11-09, 18:34
Me too. If I have time I may pop over there tomorrow to take some pics before the guys install everything, as it will be difficult to get good shots of the manifolds once in.

Chris Wilson
16-11-09, 19:03
Just had a call from Pat, car should be ready to collect on wednesday, with a nice shiny new exhaust fitted. :)

Had a look on Ebay for your stuff, can't see anything. Searched for "arm and a leg", "kidneys" and "soul", have I missed the sale? ;)

EdMorris
17-11-09, 10:36
Ha ha, very good. You're right though, its gonna be "a little shy of the quote, Ed". Hmm....

Anyway, it was nice to have Pat say that the job looks like a piece of artwork and that it matches a very well prepared car. Made me feel quite chuffed.