The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bespoke IHI / Apexi "Big Twins" turbo kit

michael

A change of plan once again, time to sell some bits...

Pair of used IHI / Apexi turbos (polished housings), manifolds for 2JZ application, downpipes, decat, 2x Apexi Racing wastegates, 2x screamer pipes etc

**** SOLD ****

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/turbos/twins/big-twins-09.jpg

More photos here:

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/turbos/twins/

Turbos are the expensive and highly regarded IHI RHX6's and the kit is a modified offering that Apexi used to sell, from what I've found through research / measurement I believe they are the TCW76LS variant, each is rated to 520ps (according to Apexi / IHI) - however the HyperRev article says TCW15 P16.

The kit has bespoke manifolds to suit the Supra, custom pipework and is potentially the only kit of it's type in the world, I certainly can't find details on a Supra with one anyway.

These are the off the shelf kits it's based around:

http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_turbocharger_detail.asp?id=170&pageNum=1

Compressor 82mm, 56mm inducer, 48 Trim, P16 exhaust housing which apparently means an A/R of 0.63. The RX6B has a reputation for low end spool and high end power, CW spoke highly of them in the past and I believe he had one on a Skyline at one point.

Spec: VA490030 0109

Serial: RHX6 05017C

No shaft play in either turbo when last checked, needs a few gaskets and oil lines to complete the kit but otherwise ready to go for some serious power.

HyperRev vol. 70, Supra 3 shows the actual kit on the Zenitani demo car and some engine pics on page 50, I don't have a scanner at present but I've tried to take some pics to show how the turbos sit. Some trick pipework may be needed to feed that rear turbo or you could feed to a filter back there I guess.

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/turbos/twins/hyperrev/hyperrev-01.jpg

The HyperRev spec page says they are IHI RX-7 TCW15 P16 turbos but the text says "RH-6" which ties in with the RHX6 stamped on the ID plate so some ambiguity there still.

So onto the fun bit.... 900ps @ 7000rpm @ 2.3kg/cm with an F-Con and lots of Japanese writing:

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/turbos/twins/hyperrev/hyperrev-03.jpg

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/turbos/twins/hyperrev/hyperrev-02.jpg

If anyone can read these I'd be interested to know what they say :)

And the car in question...

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/turbos/twins/hyperrev/hyperrev-04.jpg

Very heavy kit so postage won't be cheap, happy for people to collect or can meet you somewhere 1/2 way if cheaper than a courier. Will take some pictures later in the week if anyone is interested.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe you're selling them, I was looking forward to you getting them fitted, I thought you might even have had it all finished before Rob Sheffield.

I'm an ECU and a set of injectors away from having everything I need but what's the point if the car is just going to sit on the driveway? Yes it will be amazing for the odd times I use it but I'm sure someone else can get much more benefit from the kit and use it in anger.

I need to grow up and just have one car that I can enjoy all the time without being paranoid :)

Is that car still the Supra?

I'm not sure it is anymore, no failing on the part of the Supra, an amazing machine as we all know, I just want to blend in.

What kind of power gain could reasonably expected from this Michael ? And, what other engine mods would be required trun it safely ?

It's all a bit of an unknown because I don't know of anyone else running a kit like this (I've asked on Supraforums etc) - like Johnny says above I don't think ~600bhp would be unreasonable to expect at relatively low boost levels, the turbos aren't huge and are supposed to be responsive low end but also give a decent amount up top.

With a built engine and enough fuel I suspect they could be rather impressive, without that at safe boost levels they should be pretty damn exciting :)

Is your expertise in fitting included in the price ?;)

LOL, if I had the motivation to get my hands dirty they would be on the car, I'm sure somewhere like Miami-GT would give you a favourable price and I'd be happy to lend a hand just so I can finally see and hear them in action :)

So I just walked up the stairs saying to Genna "I know it's more costly but for some reason I just like the idea of a big twin setup rather than going single.", and now this thread.

Is it fate?

Seems like an ideal chance to buy all my other bits at the same time too ;)

So realistically what sort of price would I be looking at for the rest of the stuff needed? I know there's a wide choice of options regarding stuff like ECU's but I expect you've done the homework already and worked out what would be needed.

Next, fancy swapping for a air con unit. :)

I don't know why I'm teasing myself by even looking at this thread. If I did buy it all it would probably sit in the garage for a year whilst I saved up the money to get it fitted. :(

So realistically what sort of price would I be looking at for the rest of the stuff needed? I know there's a wide choice of options regarding stuff like ECU's but I expect you've done the homework already and worked out what would be needed.

Next, fancy swapping for a air con unit. :)

I don't know why I'm teasing myself by even looking at this thread. If I did buy it all it would probably sit in the garage for a year whilst I saved up the money to get it fitted. :(

My fuel bits are up for grabs for ~£250, injectors, FPR, filter and pump might take that up close to around £800, then the ECU - MAP2 would do the job for very little or you could go for something like an AEM for ~£900 and then get it mapped by Dimitri / AN Other for ~£600 I guess.

I'd be happy to take the air con unit in p/x but I couldn't do a straight swap no matter how cold it gets :D

any pics of the gear mate ?

No decent ones at the moment, that are all wrapped up in pallet wrap and in a padded box at the moment, I'll dig them out when I get chance though.

would you take a deposit for them and the rest of the payment later after my holiday;)

I'd consider it providing your holiday isn't next year and as long as you don't expect the goods until you've paid in full :)

I'd consider it providing your holiday isn't next year and as long as you don't expect the goods until you've paid in full :)

going away in july just got to save up for that first then sorted so aug/sep payed in full and then send the parts after full payment fella, is this kit designed for the supra??

going away in july just got to save up for that first then sorted so aug/sep payed in full and then send the parts after full payment fella, is this kit designed for the supra??

Ah, that's a bit late for me really I'm afraid :(

The kit is designed for a Supra and came off one, Apexi just never sold one for a Supra, hence the bespoke manifolds etc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.