The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'was' or 'were'

AJI

Why does a lot of the country use the word 'was' when it is supposed to be 'were' ?

Typical sentance... "I thought you was going to do that?"

Correct sentance ... "I thought you were going to do that?"

It seems to be in selected regions of England to be the primary 'offenders'. The areas I have noticed are Devon/Cornwall areas.... Leeds and surrouding regions. Also London areas. (Maybe wrong on some of those as people that I've heard may not have actually grown up in those areas).

I know my English isn't the best all of the time so I'm just curious as to why the above is what it is.

They get it wrong in Wolverhampton/black country areas a lot.

It's just how they speak...and hence how they write.

Here's another one "Can you lend me that Supra?"... No, I do the lending, you do the borrowing....and no, fack off, you're not going near my Supra you uneducated scum.

We were talking about this at lunchtime..

Being from "up North" it sounds funny when the locals (Bristol area) say things like "I'm from Bristol, what ariel do you come from" or, "getting a single turbo might be a good ideal" !

Why they add an "L" on I don't know.

Suppose we all talk and write differently, I love the Welsh accent, but that might be that I used to know a beautiful girl from North Wales many years ago.

Saying that, I like the Scottish and some Irish accents as well, North East is great too as it sounds like "home" :)

In Bristol and Wiltshire, folks say "Where's that to?" meaning simply "Where is that?". I had never heard this redundant 'to' before I moved down here. Conversations would sometimes proceed like this:

"Where's that book to?"

"Pardon"

"Where's that book to?"

"Where's that book to what?"

"Not 'to' anything... just where is it to?"

"Do you mean 'where's that book'?"

[Yokel becomes enraged] "That's what I said - where's that book to? Where is it to?"

this is one thing that gets on my nerves I was taught good grammer when I was young, however I suck at writing it down and spelling. On thing that really really bugs me is some people miss out whole words in sentaces it just dosnt make any sense!!

Instead of

"Can you go and put the tea on?"

its

"go'n put tea on"

People from Leeds say 'I was out while 10pm' in other words 'I was out until 10pm'.

I've heard people from Wakefield say that, very very confusing!

And people around London saying "Is it?" Very very quickly. For instance;

"I'm working tonight"

"ahh, is it?"

Or.....

"My friend just got run over by a bus"

"ahh is it?"

Maybe it's just in this building!

I sometimes say

"blah blah... learned me how to do that" because it is ironic and funny (to me) - do people actually say this for real?

likewise with

"can you borrow me xyz" - its funny

but what do I know, I'm from near London, isit

Here's another one "Can you lend me that Supra?"... No, I do the lending, you do the borrowing....and no, fack off, you're not going near my Supra you uneducated scum.

Ironically what you've written is right, lol - think about it! It's wrong when you say things like:

"Can you borrow me that supra"

or "Can I lend that Supra from you" etc

My gran was from up north & always said 'alright me duck'.

Bristolians i know say 'alright me babber' :blink:

I lived in Cornwall for a few years and there favourite was 'alright me handsome'

Then there were combos of previous posts 'where that be to then my handsome?'

I love accents and dialects they amuse me. So what if theres poor grammer, spelling or sentence structure as variety is great!

"Where's that book to?"

"Pardon"

"Where's that book to?"

"Where's that book to what?"

"Not 'to' anything... just where is it to?"

"Do you mean 'where's that book'?"

[Yokel becomes enraged] "That's what I said - where's that book to? Where is it to?"

GERRORF MY LAAAAAAAND :D

Im alloud to abuse wiltshire people, i am one :innocent:

I have to admit, if i slip into my wltshire accent i start speaking like that - BUT i like to consider myself well educated, and i speak in that way because its a local thing, not because i dont know how to speak properly. Something the local crawleyites struggle with :rolleyes:

"wiltshire born and wiltshire bread, stong in the arm and thick in the head" etc etc.