My single turbo install

RobSheffield

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, can I buy it when it's all finished? ;)

It is finished, only needs a clutch swap and mapping :p

And NO!

Will it be mapped by Llandow/Pod? :)

I was hoping for being mapped and done by TOTB as a late unproven entrant, but its looking like Suprapod may be its first outing.

Just waiting on a clutch from RPS/Kyle now....

Clutch fitted today with help from Smarty.

Replaced fluid and seals/bearings while i was in there.

Also fitted new Braided clutch line and solid shifter mounting bushes from Whifbitz.

Found the old clutch was in fact an OEM, on its last legs. Fells great, although the RPS max takes a bit of getting used to i prefer the stiff action, reminds you that you are driving a bit of a beast and not a shopping car :D

Now ready for mapping in 2 weeks :)

BTW Rob, had a cancellation at 11am on Wednesday if you fancy getting the car mapped sooner ;)

Clutch fitted today with help from Smarty.

Replaced fluid and seals/bearings while i was in there.

Also fitted new Braided clutch line and solid shifter mounting bushes from Whifbitz.

Found the old clutch was in fact an OEM, on its last legs. Fells great, although the RPS max takes a bit of getting used to i prefer the stiff action, reminds you that you are driving a bit of a beast and not a shopping car :D

Now ready for mapping in 2 weeks :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, i guess i ought to update this. What follows is going to be fairly hard for me to go through. I have had a really bad 5 weeks now, starting with being dumped by my girlfriend, then car probles, problems at work.....seems to be getting worse :(

On Monday 30th i went to SRR for my mapping session. From start to finish Ryan was brilliant as always. The banter with him and Charlie stopped my panic [of my own car at 7***rpm on a dyno!) as soon as i arrived.

After problems with a faulty DLI (rectified thanks to Wes) Ryan finally began mapping. Watching the dyno process from the lounge TV, i was beginning to understand the process, and seeing some nice numbers. 498bhp at 1.1 bar was the most we got.

Whilst attempting to get to 1.5 bar Ryan noticed a fuel pressure issue and cut short the runs, leaving me to sort that out. No problem. After a few 1.1 bar runs up and down the road outside SRR to check things over, i was over the moon. All this time, effort, money, blood, sweat and tears and i finally had a monster! Dropped Ryan back off at SRR and set off home happy as a bug ina rug. Few full throttle runs and i was still happy! No major issues for the next 180 odd miles. However, approx 5 miles from home ithe il pressure on the guage was dipping worryingly low so i pulled over and had a look. General smell of oil, checked dip, nothing on it. Had i got it just in time? Highways agency arrived and took me to the nearby services for 5 litres of oil. Popped that back in, got good oil pressure, happy to drive the remaining 5 miles. At this stage was midnight, couldnt see anything, just a lot of oil on the drive :(

The next day i had a brief look, and found that apparently the front main seal had gone :( Started removing a few things, wanted to check the turbo for any oil, found massive play in the blades.... :( again!

Sent the turbo off to Turbo Technics, report has come back today as 'oil contamination' leading to blown seal and bearings shot :( To say i am gutted would be an understatement :( I had hoped that taking so long would have removed any issues i could come accross! Not sure how the contamination could have occurred, but the only way i can be confident it will be ok is to remove and rebuild

After an hour or so mulling it over, and deciding i was going to strip it for parts and try to make some money back, i have regained my senses, and will be going for a rebuilt, forged engine :)

That's this year effectively over for me now in terms of shows and meets. My birthday at Suprapod will have to remain a dream :(

Bloody hell Rob, that really is a kick in the teeth, I can understand why you felt like saying sod it and stripping it :(

Glad to see you've decided on fixing it, I think I would do the same in your shoes, they are hard to give up on.

What do you think caused this? It reminds me of all the engines that went bang due to builds that were done by Turbofit in unclean engine building enviroments. I know you Rob and I know you would have taken great care over this. So where has this contamination come from?