The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dash panel plastic glue

mwilkinson

I want to modify a UK spec dash panel to work with a facelift dash. Primarily as I want to use a factory fog light switch.

So either way, I will either need to cut the switch housing from the UK panel and retrofit it to the facelift panel or modify the UK panel with the facelift binnacle mounting.

I've been looking at glues suitable for PPE+PS plastic, which is what the panels are made from.

I've been looking on the Internet but it's hard work trying to get a definitive answer as to what glue would be suitable.

I have read about people in the past repairing clips on dash panels and wonder if anyone has used a glue that has lasted and provided a durable bond?

I'm also going to have a new warning light panel made up to include a rear fog light symbol. I did this on my last car, but the whole conversion was so much easier as it was a pre facelift so the new UK spec panel I bought was a direct fit and colour match.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to cut a hole in the facelift dash panel (on the back of the panel there are moulding marks where the hole should be) then use something like hot melt glue on the back of the panel to secure the switch in place.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to cut a hole in the facelift dash panel (on the back of the panel there are moulding marks where the hole should be) then use something like hot melt glue on the back of the panel to secure the switch in place.

This, a dremel with do it, measure twice and cut once. The US owners are doing this same thing to fit fog switches

Quite probably Nic. But I don't like the idea of having the switch stuck to the panel. I want the work to look like it came out of the factory.

Hot glue won't be suitable. If the car is left in the sun, the glue will go soft, and it'll make a right mess!

Ask me how I know :rlol:

You could stick a couple of small plastic blocks to the area with sikaflex or similar, then pilot drill the screw holes and use small self tappers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

OK so I've been looking at doing this for over a year now.

I can confirm I think I've successfully merged a UK Spec panel and Facelift panel.

I wanted to have a facelift panel with at least two factory buttons. One for the power fold mirrors and the other for a factory fog lights switch.

In order to achieve this I've had to cut a section from a facelift panel and merge it with a UK spec panel. This is because the binnacle fixings are different.

I was struggling with glues to use and can confirm that none are very good the plastic is a real PITA. Not even plastic welding works as the plastic just burns off.

In the end I ended up using Gorilla glue two part epoxy.

I don't have images of the whole process as it was fiddly and generally frustrating.

Here are some images of the panels used and what was cut out.

In order for the joint to work the overlapping parts were sanded back to half the thickness of the panel and glues. The joints were pressed firmly together.

The epoxy filled most of the gaps but the remainder was filled with a two part putty called Milliput.

This is the back of the bonded panel. You may note that I did not disturb any of the mounting pins on the UK Spec panel. I was concerned this would cause too much stress on the combined panels. It seems it was a wise choice.

Here are some images of the panel after initial sanding.

The final test of course was ensuring that the panel actually fit. So here are some photographs of a genuine facelift dash panel in situ vs my modified panel.

I'm quite happy with the result thus far.

I've still yet to sand back the remainder of the panel and prime it. I'm quite happy that it will work, but it will still need a good deal of finishing.

Impressive work, well done !

I have been looking for the same result idea as well in order to fit the fog light switch in a neater way...

The facelift panel you got has 3 openings instead of the regular 1 opening -> What would be the 3rd opening used for ?

Did you get it this facelift panel from Japan, or from somewhere else ?

Impressive work, well done !

I have been looking for the same result idea as well in order to fit the fog light switch in a neater way...

The facelift panel you got has 3 openings instead of the regular 1 opening -> What would be the 3rd opening used for ?

Did you get it this facelift panel from Japan, or from somewhere else ?

The panel with the 3 openings is a UK spec panel. The facelift car only ever came with a single opening.

This is why I have had to cut the two panels and make a bespoke one.

On the UK Spec the ipenings contained the rear fog light, headlight adjustment and headlight washers.

I'm only going to use two (power mirrors and rear fog light), so I could totally fill one of the holes, or I have a factory blanking plate I could use.