The mkiv Supra Owners Club

One single knock noise @1k when revved (video)

ballsdeep

I'm struggling to locate a knock sound, I can only hear it inside the car and it sounds like its from under the passenger foot well?

I can make it knock by tapping the accelerator peddle just enough for the rpm to raise a bit, but it doesn't seem to be there while driving.

Any ideas guys hopefully someone else has experienced this?

Edited by ballsdeep (see edit history)

Engine mount was my first thought but I haven't noticed any vibration other than last week I though i could feel a bit through the gear stick but put it down to the road?

Any tests I can do to rule this out!

Gearbox mount ?

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up on something today, may be nothing but any info I can give you guys might help me identify what this worrying noise is and my jerky throttle response?

So here's a short video unfortunately the knock can't be heard but what you can see is as I'm very gently raising the rpm to 1k the needle suddenly jumps a couple of hundred rpm? May or May not be linked but certainly doesn't help with cruising and causes a jerky acceleration but only at take off.

http://youtu.be/E2NTCbT9BFU

The knock I can hear it at 1000rpm - idle and 8/900rpm - when rolling in 1st gear while gently increasing speed?

• 1 month later...

I still have this knock issue and can't for the life of me find where it's coming from? I checked the crank pulley but the tip ex marks from the last test are still there so ruled this out.

It literally happens every time I press the accelerator one single knock? The car runs fine, boosts fine apart from one small issue with a very slightly jerky accelerator feel when getting on and off but Could this be down to a slightly out tps?

Any more ideas?

Edited by ballsdeep (see edit history)

• 7 months later...

iv ignored this for a while but it's time to get to the bottom of this! crank pulleys been off and on while the water pump was done and it looks like new! Torqued up and its still there.

I'm just wondering if there's any evidence of flywheel or clutch knock?

But mainly Im wondering if there's any tests I can do to see if it's the gearbox or engine mounts knocking?

• 8 months later...

Sorry I forgot to update, the good news is its running smooth again with no knocking but Im afraid I can't comment on what was causing it to knock but the throttle response issue I think was down to the incompatible or duff iat sensor that I was using (aem). So I Resorted back to the na oem one and had it remapped again.

If I remember rightly the tps was slightly out so I reset it and had the map tweaked because I had to put a new e-manage in, that's when the knock stopped, then lately iv just removed the aem iat sensor and put the na one back in and opted for a full remap again from tuning developments which resulted in it making slightly more power from 370 to 385bhp and more importantly it drives better!