The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cracks in brake disks - Safe to use?

Pig

Sorry to start a whole new thread on this. Please can you tell me if these are safe to use for a normal/spirited drive? (non track work).

I am not talking about doing a stop from 180mph but I have some friends coming and plan to take a couple of them out in the car.

I don't mean to sound like a dick but please can I ask that those who are likely to comment stating that if it were their brake disks they wouldn't use them not to or to say that this is not based on experience. I know that I need to replace them asap but I am really looking for answers from people who have knowledge or experience with this.

Also, can I put old pads on new disks?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pig normal spirited drive

Yeh right !!

It's a no from me also lol

I wonder how long they have been like this. I did a few 'runs' on the DB when on the motorway without the other cars around so maybe a lucky escape. I don't want to say if I was over the speed limit or not but if I was I would have been about 5% off the cars top speed.

It was as expected, back to the other thread to see how quickly I can choose and get new disks.

This is what happened to a friends REAR disk after being told not to go on a motorway with a crack in it.......:blink:

a Renault Megane........

That was the sort of example I was looking for. I don't suppose you saw the crack to see how bad it was before the failure.

Dammit - I don't think its right to take people out in the car like this then. They are going to be gutted!

I cant believe you'd even consider driving it.

Some people are a little mixed up in the head.... I'm one of them.

FFS I have just checked the rest. The rears are spotless except 1 crack so now they will need replacing too.

Is anyone able to answer my question about old pads going on new disks? As they have loads of life left in them and are not made anymore. IMO the best pads by a million miles for a supra (Performance Friction Race Pads).

To be fair to the manufacturers I have done many a burnout without a line lock so this is probably the cause of that crack.

No chance! Like sitting on the brake pedal after going for a thrash?

Totally aware of that but found that toyota brakes warped even without that. Had the same problem on my old RS4 and Audi had to change them under warranty.

I used a set of old pads on new discs as they were near new with no ill effects I suppose if you take it easy until they bed in you should be fine

Thats good to hear. There is no signs of odd wear on the disks so fingers crossed.

Yeh you should be ok but bed them in gently

Cool :)

Don't cut corners with brakes! Its not worth risking your life and possibly other peoples due to your careless ways. I'd be replacing them ASAP if it was my car :)

I am the 1st not to cut corners with anything on the car let alone brakes.

I wanted an opinion of whether or not it was safe due to impending passengers rides in the car.

Suggesting I am careless with people's lives could very easily offend!

I am not keeping the pads to save money. But due to the fact that the pads are no longer made and are IMO the best available.

Yours do look quite shagged dear boy.

I think we may both bite the bullet and look for new items ASAP.

My left rear is the only one showing that kind of damage, the fronts have the usual little cracks I associate with all used disks. I have a new set of 3G disks ready to go for the front, I might just fit them and be done with it for a while.

I posted a link to some Stoptech items in the track car discussion thread, maybe they'll be of interest to you too?

I have seen discs warp, rust, but haven't seen cracked discs before myself. Any chance you could return to manufacturer for quality testing / warranty claim (depending on who the manufacturer is and time that has elapsed since purchase).

Yours do look quite shagged dear boy.

I think we may both bite the bullet and look for new items ASAP.

My left rear is the only one showing that kind of damage, the fronts have the usual little cracks I associate with all used disks. I have a new set of 3G disks ready to go for the front, I might just fit them and be done with it for a while.

I posted a link to some Stoptech items in the track car discussion thread, maybe they'll be of interest to you too?

I've got Stoptech discs front and rear on my M5. They're very good. Look pretty good quality too. Worth a look.