The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lpg

Abz

Why don't we have more cars running on LPG in the UK?

I just came back from a trip in Bangladesh and 80-90% of all the vehicles are running on LPG. From the small 3 wheeler taxi's to big trucks which all run on LPG, very few people in the country now use petrol & petrol wasn't that expense when people were using it.

I spoke to a few people and from rough calculations it works out to 10p a litre and to fit a LPG tank and convert it to run on a petrol car costs roughly £50. I know in the UK it costs roughly £1,000 - £2,000 depending on car, tank and kit.

Surely it would save burning fossil fuels and be cheaper to run, though not sure of any long term effects on the engine. As far as I am aware the LPG is still in liquid form and just injected into the cylinder like normal petrol would.

Just curious :)

Guess its the conversion costs? Plus if you get the early style systems they aint very economical. Vauxhall and a few other manufacturers did dual fuel cars from the factory but Im like you, wonder why it hasnt taken off. LPG is vapourised and turned into a gas before its burned so its not injected like petrol.

Almost everyone has bought a diesel these days anyway.

Tell you what, the most impressive car I've driven MPG-wise this year is the Passat Bluemotion. It's 105ps from the 1.6-litre diesel, but more tellingly I managed 600 miles to half a tank of normal driving. That's simply incredible. In fact, another motoring organisation set a record in the Passat this year. I reckon given the right set of parameters I could have beaten the record in the car I tested.

Tell you what, the most impressive car I've driven MPG-wise this year is the Passat Bluemotion. It's 105ps from the 1.6-litre diesel, but more tellingly I managed 600 miles to half a tank of normal driving. That's simply incredible. In fact, another motoring organisation set a record in the Passat this year. I reckon given the right set of parameters I could have beaten the record in the car I tested.

I spoke to a guy on the motorway services that told me he was getting 70mpg out of his :s

I find that amazing, if i was to have a company car, that would be it.

I guess the benifit in kind/tax implications are nigh on zero?

You're looking at a BIK banding of 13%, which is the lowest possible for a diesel car. The exact amount you pay depends on the exact car you choose though.

If it was me I'd wait, because I'm a bit of a tart and the Passat CC BlueMotion is coming next year :D

You're looking at a BIK banding of 13%, which is the lowest possible for a diesel car. The exact amount you pay depends on the exact car you choose though.

If it was me I'd wait, because I'm a bit of a tart and the Passat CC BlueMotion is coming next year :D

Im happy with my 40ppm thanks :D

LPG is a fossil fuel and i think the set up costs put people off, especially if you change cars often, I wonder how long before the government start to cash in on this anyway, I brought a new C200 CDI for economy last December and I paid £1.34/L for BP diesel on Monday !!!!
Granted it is a fossil fuel but far more earth friendly than petrol.

I take it the main reason is that it is expensive to do the conversion which has put people off, I remember the government doing a grant but from what I have heard this will (or has) be killed off. With regards to grants the London Congestion Charge use to exempt LPG cars from the charge, but from the new year onwards they won't be taking on anymore LPG cars to be exempt from charge. Also any current LPG cars which are exempt from the charge will have this taken away from them in 2 years time.

"It is proposed that the Alternative Fuel Discount be closed to new registrations on 24 December 2010.Owners of vehicles registered with TfL before that date would continue to receive a 100 per cent discount for a two year period."

I have to agree with a lot of comments though about Diesels and VW do seem to be leading the way!

Though Toyota aren't doing too bad either a few new Diesel cars which I drove from them were superb on fuel!

I have to agree with a lot of comments though about Diesels and VW do seem to be leading the way!

Though Toyota aren't doing too bad either a few new Diesel cars which I drove from them were superb on fuel!

I drove my brothers 09 plate Golf 2.0 TDi down to London the other day, seemed almost as quick as my NA Supra, yet easily managed over 70mpg with cruise control at 75mph.