The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just measured up, it's possible to get around 5mm more, but if sufficient gap is left between them to change a belt without dismantling the pair, then they're loosing.

Twins would require a stronger bracket than can be mounted there, it would interfere with the centre-idler operation and make belt changes more complicated.

Using a 4.2" pulley and a single idler gains around 38% wrap contact and the 1.5% more with twins is not worth the work and whatever I do will have to be done in an outdoor pit-stop session.

When the charger comes off I will fit a modified throttle-body to make space to fabricate the bracket and then rebuild with the new supercharger.

I'll get the component parts and pieces as ready as they can be and then wait for a day of workshop access when it's an outside welding kind of day.

Sounds good David, the amount of R&D gone into this car is unbelievable, I admire your perseverance! Hope you get it sorted and tearing up the tarmac soon.

Ben

Thank you for the encouragement, it tears up tarmac now, when it's not raining. :shrug:

I am meen as kustard to get the final odds and sods sorted, yet I'm being mucked about by all and sundry for the components I need.

The constituent pieces for the latest idler bracket are prepared, but can't finish the job until I have a supercharger with a straight hub to work from, so that's grounded for a week or two because it has taken 7 emails over 5 weeks to get one into the post from the U.S.

I want to sort out the Suprastick programming yet it has taken 4 weeks for a laptop to arrive and now on the third new wrong charger sent to allow it to function.

The fibreglass required to sort the bonnet took 5 weeks to arrive to find the wrong materials had mostly been sent so have had to re-order.

I need a reworked valve body to speed up the gear-changes but the chap in the U.S. who modify's them, appears to be incapable of answering to emails for the past three weeks.

And so it goes on, there's only a couple of day's work to do to be finished, yet first must endure Global incompetences.

It would be convenient if I could simply blame it on the Yanks, yet it's apparent that the U.K. also has more than it's fair share of folks who are incapable of doing what they're paid for and whatever the origin, it must still run the Carriers Gauntlet of Hell. :shrug:

I ordered 2 x M10 1.25 - 38 mm long studs for the new charger rear mounts.

However, delivered were; 2 x M12 1.5 studs.

Complained.

Subsequently, delivered were; 2 x M10 1.5 studs.

Complained again.

Subsequently, delivered were; 2 x M10 1.25 studs, however, one hasn't been threaded all the way so wouldn't work with the 6mm thick bracket and the threads are poor and damaged on both of them.

It looks like I've stumbled into another nest of numpties and for the benefit of my sanity may well end up re-using the old studs. :shrug:

attachment.php?attachmentid=159294&d=1350493058

studs 002.JPG

Thank you for the stud offers, they're greatly appreciated. :thumbs:

The ones used previously were from Bob's stash but I have used up all four there were in that size, I realise I could buy a die and make them yet thought it would be cheaper and simpler to simply :think: buy a couple.

I use new each time, because one is so awkward to get at, it's essential that the nuts can be wound up to contact with one finger, then it only takes two nips with 'The only Spanner in the World' that will reach.

The new charger is still with the Engineer and the pulley-hub is still winging it's way from the U.S.A, yet most of the fibreglass materials are here and expect the last of it to arrive today.

I'll post some pics of bonnet bulging progress when there are some results to be seen.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Why don't you just buy some high tensile threaded rod and use that for the studs? Die cutting threads is dreadful. Emergency use only, threads should be rolled really.

I did say right at the beginning of this project the belt drive was inadequate and would be something that would need a total rework. I still say the same, it needs totally redesigning. I would run a dedicated S/C drive belt, and a wider one, to boot. The whole current set up is too flexible and wimpy. Sorry, but there you are ;)

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Ben,

They're perfect, the only problem is; Noz'll never speak to me again. ;)

Thank you, I'll give you a call.

The bonnet I spent 3 days stripping the outside, I have now opened up the inside to become a mould.

Stripped to the etching primer, flatted down with 1200 grade, polished with Brasso then given 10 layers of Carnauba wax polish

attachment.php?attachmentid=159342&d=1350665548

Two layers of gel-coat

attachment.php?attachmentid=159343&d=1350665548

One layer of 450gm mat and another of 600gm then left to cure at regulo .5 until tomorrow

attachment.php?attachmentid=159344&d=1350665548

new charger 001.JPG

f glass 002.JPG

f glass 013.JPG

Edited by David P (see edit history)