The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just fitted HID lights. pictures inside.

jamesmark

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what isn't you mean :(

It is seriously a 5 min job an that being slow at changing bulgs,

With Regards to HID lights, it is totally plug and playinstall. Aslo as already mentioned when conncecting them newly they can only be pluged one way only.

With reards to connecting the HID lights to the socket that is in the car already, that again is just plug and play.

Check the lights (install one at a time) and if they are not working then reverserse the polarity on the plugs and they WILL work.

Disclaimer : - By reading the post you have take on board what was said and decided by yourself to have a go, this discalimer cannot accept any responsibilty over relibilty or claims saying that info was incorrect. It has worked for me and many others, but results may vary.

Whooooo I have had a disclaimer on here. :D

Just fitted my HIDs too, actually they don't seem as bright as I thought they might be. But maybe thats a good thing, in view of the dazzle thing. I love the color

So anyway changing the sidelights for something nicer, like jake suggested, I looked on ebay and found some LED ones that have been mentioned.

W5W Wide Angle 6 LED

Something like that. Got it for less than a fiver. will let you know how it looks.

Just fitted my HIDs too, actually they don't seem as bright as I thought they might be. But maybe thats a good thing, in view of the dazzle thing. I love the color

So anyway changing the sidelights for something nicer, like jake suggested, I looked on ebay and found some LED ones that have been mentioned.

W5W Wide Angle 6 LED

Something like that. Got it for less than a fiver. will let you know how it looks.

Ill tell you why there not as bright, the supra projectors are useless at giving off light, the reflectors just absorb the light so shoving hids in aint gone make much difference and therefor do not create a purely focused and bright beam. I've done this countless times and NOTHING beats a retrofit, doesn't matter how good the kits are they never will be able to replicate the beam and light of a what a OEM HID projector can. I've proven this so many times

Take a note and learn from this thread!

Bout half way down there's a pic comparison and at the bottom another! Tell me the kits are just as good now

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282177

Ill tell you why there not as bright, the supra projectors are useless at giving off light, the reflectors just absorb the light so shoving hids in aint gone make much difference and therefor do not create a purely focused and bright beam. I've done this countless times and NOTHING beats a retrofit, doesn't matter how good the kits are they never will be able to replicate the beam and light of a what a OEM HID projector can. I've proven this so many times

Bout half way down there's a pic comparison and at the bottom another! Tell me the kits are just as good now

As Said before It is pointless exercise to do all that, yes there may be advantages but they are slim, and all that work that is on that link in Supraforums is just "to much time on peoples hands". I honestly cannot see the point in going to all that work for a slim difference it trully is not worth it and is a pointless waster of resources. To sort the scattered beams only requires a bit of thought put into the alignement, with something as bright as HID's it is never going not blind someone in some way.

Just want it to be legal. at the moment the aligment is out. BTW I'm sure your right about the absorbing of light: I will check it out and see what's involved.

As Said before It is pointless exercise to do all that, yes there may be advantages but they are slim, and all that work that is on that link in Supraforums is just "to much time on peoples hands". I honestly cannot see the point in going to all that work for a slim difference it trully is not worth it and is a pointless waster of resources. To sort the scattered beams only requires a bit of thought put into the alignement, with something as bright as HID's it is never going not blind someone in some way.

I don't know what I should be looking for when I aligned. anything more than beams not being cock-eye.

It is seriously a 5 min job an that being slow at changing bulgs,

With Regards to HID lights, it is totally plug and playinstall. Aslo as already mentioned when conncecting them newly they can only be pluged one way only.

With reards to connecting the HID lights to the socket that is in the car already, that again is just plug and play.

Check the lights (install one at a time) and if they are not working then reverserse the polarity on the plugs and they WILL work.

Disclaimer : - By reading the post you have take on board what was said and decided by yourself to have a go, this discalimer cannot accept any responsibilty over relibilty or claims saying that info was incorrect. It has worked for me and many others, but results may vary.

Whooooo I have had a disclaimer on here. :D

Yeah if I can install HIDS being a newb, then anyone else can, message me if you need help on install.

You may think my attitude sucks, don't get me wrong I dint mean to come across as an ass I'm just trying to make my point.

You won't of seen my proof cause technically I'm still newish BUT I have done a few retrofits before on other cars and they come out amazing.

All I'm saying is they do come out a lot better than just droppin them in standard projectors, the downfall is it it takes A LOT longer with more work required but everyone to there own taste

You may think my attitude sucks, don't get me wrong I dint mean to come across as an ass I'm just trying to make my point.

You won't of seen my proof cause technically I'm still newish BUT I have done a few retrofits before on other cars and they come out amazing.

All I'm saying is they do come out a lot better than just droppin them in standard projectors, the downfall is it it takes A LOT longer with more work required but everyone to there own taste

On here unless you can back up on what you have done then people are just going to think your talking out your arse.

Anyone can claim they have done it by writing about it.

Yeah one day write it up with pics. Might catch on here. You obviously got a niche talent, when you feel ready would be nice to hear and see more.

Yeah one day write it up with pics. Might catch on here. You obviously got a niche talent, when you feel ready would be nice to hear and see more.

I am not quite sure what he needs to prove?, fitting HID's into halogen designed lights will make them brighter but it will never, ever have the same effect as retrofitting a projector designed for HID light cast. Sure he might not have provided any evidence in this situation but its a bit like asking for proof that a 100w bulb is brighter then a 50w bulb. Yes it is a lot of work and granted its too much for most people but to call it a waste of time is silly, bit like arguing that fitting an FMIC when upping boost is a waste of time and effort. The guy may have come across as a bit of an ass but to just turn around and tell him he is wasting his time is also a bit off in my opinion. Have a read of this (and a watch) and you see he has a point.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

I am not quite sure what he needs to prove?, fitting HID's into halogen designed lights will make them brighter but it will never, ever have the same effect as retrofitting a projector designed for HID light cast.

It might be better retro fitting a different HID projector, it might not. It might be loads different, it might only be slight. It's only a piece of glass/plastic that the light it projected through after all.

Sure he might not have provided any evidence in this situation but its a bit like asking for proof that a 100w bulb is brighter then a 50w bulb.

No it isn't.

Yes it is a lot of work and granted its too much for most people but to call it a waste of time is silly, bit like arguing that fitting an FMIC when upping boost is a waste of time and effort.

If when upping the boost your SMIC is still perfectly capable of cooling the charge temps then yes it could be argued that it's a bit of a waste. People run small singles on SMIC's.

The guy may have come across as a bit of an ass but to just turn around and tell him he is wasting his time is also a bit off in my opinion. Have a read of this (and a watch) and you see he has a point.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

Can't view you tube at work, but where in the government article does it say that retro fitting a HID projector lens will be brighter than using the standard projector?

Edit: Headlights that are of the reflector type generally are not suitable for a straight HID bulb install, the Supra's lights are projector type and the light pattern and beam are fine when fitting HID's.

You should read that article again as it say 'the existing lens AND reflecter are designed around a halogen filament' reffering to projectors aswell.

Lens is just another name for projectors.

Have you ever been on the receiving end of these kits driving around at night? They blind the crap outa you and it constantly happens to me around here being surrounded by chavs.

Listen I aint gone keep arguin with you guys I'm just stating my opinion. Simple

Listen I aint gone keep arguin with you guys I'm just stating my opinion. Simple

No one is arguing, it is just you have came on and made statements as if they have been copied and pasted from i.e. Wikipedia, when asked to back up your countless times you have done it you back tracked.

I like to tinker and modify things and being in the motor trade helps alot.

The next time I do 1 ill do a write up with pics and comparisons.

No one is arguing, it is just you have came on and made statements as if they have been copied and pasted from i.e. Wikipedia, when asked to back up your countless times you have done it you back tracked.

Wikipedia may have alsorts of info on it but let me assure you I talk from experience. Yes I may NOT have anything to back up my claims but doesn't mean its not true does it.

I have fitted hid's to my supra, they have VASTLY improved the lighting effect. They are perfectly legal and passed the mot because the supra's projector lenses are pefect for them, the spread of light is exactly the same as the ones on my mates golf with standard hid's on it, as i've tested it.