The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just fitted HID lights. pictures inside.

jamesmark

HID kits are a bad thing cause of the projector lense of standard halogens absorb more light and spray light everywhere! The way to go is a retrofit using projectors made for hids!

Its a lot of work and will require making a seperate harness if you don't wana destroy your stock loom but is well worth it, get better lighting, you won't be dazzling oncoming drivers plus if you can clean your headlamps out and paint the insides if you want

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant , someone else to blind me .

Aftermarket HID's may work great for you the driver but are they legal ? I'm forever being blinded by stray light from shit saxo's and corsas with aftermarket HID kits that spray light all over the place .

Yes they are legal, you just have to re-align them.

HID kits are a bad thing cause of the projector lense of standard halogens absorb more light and spray light everywhere! The way to go is a retrofit using projectors made for hids!

Its a lot of work and will require making a seperate harness if you don't wana destroy your stock loom but is well worth it, get better lighting, you won't be dazzling oncoming drivers plus if you can clean your headlamps out and paint the insides if you want

Pointless amount of work to be honest.

its not pointless at all, you compare these after market kits to the real thing and theres a big difference, its all good jusu bangin hids into stock projectors but what you dont realise that the lenses just emit thd light everywhere and dazzle everyone else. cars that have them as standard produce much better and more direct beam. this is the path im takin anyway.

i have J spec lights, so which kit do i need??? cheers lads is it bulb type H3?

No, read my post above.

The projector style lights are usually fine, it's the reflector ones that aren't. The Supra's lights are fine for light scatter and direction with HID's.

its not pointless at all, you compare these after market kits to the real thing and theres a big difference, its all good jusu bangin hids into stock projectors but what you dont realise that the lenses just emit thd light everywhere and dazzle everyone else. cars that have them as standard produce much better and more direct beam. this is the path im takin anyway.

I have to disagree, with regards to the beam they are infront of the car if that makes sense, the whole area in front of me is not illuminated, the beam is very direct (aprat from NS needing aligned).

Just fitted my HIDs too, actually they don't seem as bright as I thought they might be. But maybe thats a good thing, in view of the dazzle thing. I love the color

So anyway changing the sidelights for something nicer, like jake suggested, I looked on ebay and found some LED ones that have been mentioned.

W5W Wide Angle 6 LED

Something like that. Got it for less than a fiver. will let you know how it looks.