The mkiv Supra Owners Club

replacing the vacuum lines

miko_supra

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all, got my gates hose, as chris said its very oem looking, only has gates print of the one side of the hose. about as oem as your going to get id have thought. the braided stuff above looks ok tho, altho im more interested in keeping the car stock looking and the supra never used braided hose, not sure how that would hold up to heat!

gates pipework

theres the 3 different sizes here, seem very close to oem sizes, just need to few hours in the garage fitting it all now

Edited by supraGZaerotop (see edit history)

yeah im not a fan of silicone myself, no where near as strong as this stuff imo. ive found silicone can split very easy if tighten up just a tad to tight. thanks for tip on removing the print chris, will have to try that. :thumbs:

The reinforced hose may not stretch / contract enough to be a sound fit without clips.

The Gates printing may come off using brake cleaner or cellulose thinners, if it bugs you.

A friend has a very un PC name for blue silicone hose, I just DARE NOT say what it is on here ;)

• 3 weeks later...

will do, ive now done about 2/3rds of the lines, only the ones down under the airbox to the vsv under there and the actuator, not going to bother tho i think for now they seem ok, not hard at all and seem in good nic. i found that i needed to order a meter of 8mm because the 6mm is to tight for 2 of the pipes, not sure where people have got just the 3 sizes from!! you need 4 sizes,4mm for the small vac lines, i havint used any of the 5mm as yet so carnt comment on that, ive used like i said 90% of the 1 metre length of 6mm, id recommened getting 1.5m as its seem a popular size in the engine bay and i theres still a bit left to do using 6mm. and i bought 1 meter of 8mm for a few lines, you see the ones i mean when you do the job. id say 1.5m of 6mm, 2 meters of 4mm, 1 meter of 5mm and 1 meter of 8mm

Would you mind updating this when you have them replaced just to confirm the amounts are correct? I like preventative maintenance lol.

• 10 months later...
Just thought I would bump this thread as it has been very helpful. I've just ordered all the hose required to replace the engine bay vac hoses and it has come to sub £30 delivered :)

Very good price!

Where did you order Rich?

• 1 year later...

Bit of a bump. I've just bought the hose to do this on mine, what did you guys do about hose clamps? Can I reuse the existing ones, or should I buy all new?

I'm thinking something like this if replacing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mikalor-W1-Microbore-Spring-Band-Type-Constant-Tension-Fuel-Hose-Clip-Clamp-x1-/260774596256?var=&hash=item3cb7608ea0:m:m0CmExk4NJER0Q9DCoP2bDw