The mkiv Supra Owners Club

replacing the vacuum lines

miko_supra

:D Didn't want to assume I can reuse and find out they're made of chocolate and snap when I start removing.

I have a 93 Supra and mine are fine, just need a little elbow grease to clean them up! I found it is just the plastic clips on the loom plugs can go brittle from heat under there over the years

If you do figure out sizes , be good to know!

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will do, ive now done about 2/3rds of the lines, only the ones down under the airbox to the vsv under there and the actuator, not going to bother tho i think for now they seem ok, not hard at all and seem in good nic. i found that i needed to order a meter of 8mm because the 6mm is to tight for 2 of the pipes, not sure where people have got just the 3 sizes from!! you need 4 sizes,4mm for the small vac lines, i havint used any of the 5mm as yet so carnt comment on that, ive used like i said 90% of the 1 metre length of 6mm, id recommened getting 1.5m as its seem a popular size in the engine bay and i theres still a bit left to do using 6mm. and i bought 1 meter of 8mm for a few lines, you see the ones i mean when you do the job. id say 1.5m of 6mm, 2 meters of 4mm, 1 meter of 5mm and 1 meter of 8mm

Did you end up using the 5mm hose?

No, it doesn't look like I used the 5mm I bought, it's still sat in the spares box. I used 4, 6 and 8, didn't replace every single line on the car as some are complete pains to get to. I could do with about 15cm of 3mm (or a clamp/zip-tie) for one of my VSV lines as it has slipped off twice. 2 minute fix to put it back on, so I've not been overly bothered.

• 2 years later...

Thread Bump.

I've ordered the following sizes:

4mm Gates - 2 Metres

5mm Gates - 1 Metre

6mm Gates - 1 Metre

Also as a backup with special clamps:

4.5mm Glencoe Overbraid - 2 Metres

6.5mm Glencoe Overbraid - 2 Metres

First plan when I get the Red beauty is to return all hosing to near as stock as possible (subject to condition).

Will let you know how I get on and exact lengths/diameters used.

Gregimageimage