The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Upgrade Complete

mawby

I found that yesterday but if I just sat there it did eventually... not sure where the techies are today but I'm sure they'll take a look!! I've been too involved with the calendar to do any upgrade stuff unfortuantely so I'm no use with the techy stuff in this instance.

Thanks

Not a big problem but would like to get it to work sometime.

Finding loads of new feature this new BBS.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to take a bit of getting used to but I like it, I've already been playing round with some of the new features. It would be good to get the chat working, it looks like it's a Java IRC client? Which server/channel does it connect to? Like others have mentioned I'd like if the old colour schemes were available. Some alternative templates would be nice so that the avatar/user info is listed at the side of the posts like rather than above, as mcanny mentioned earlier.

Good work on the upgrade though, I've recently upgraded our forum at work from phpBB 2.0.10 - 2.0.11 and managed to bugger it up when I forgot about some of that hacks I'd installed previously, so I know how wrong it can go!

IRC Details

Server: irc.eu-irc.net

Port: 6666

Room: #mkivsupras

I don't think anyone has tried connecting from outside of the forum irc client yet but it shouldn't be a problem.

I just have, cannot connect to that server.

Oh and any joy on opening attachments in a new window yet, it's annoying me already ;)

Can't say I'm too keen on this new layout with the avatars above the message and stuff :(
Then you'll be happy to know that after a few hours hacking you now have a new set of templates called "Old Thread View" which will put the user details down the side instead of across the top when viewing threads.

I've even been kind and imported all the currently available colours schemes into the new template, so now you have 12 in total to choose from!

Then you'll be happy to know that after a few hours hacking you now have a new set of templates called "Old Thread View" which will put the user details down the side instead of across the top when viewing threads.

Cheers :)

I'm happier now but never completely satisfied, any chance we can have the font sizes dropped down a size or two? It seems bigger than it used to be?

Thanks for your continued patience :upside:

That's much better, cheers Mawby, makes posts a lot easier to read!

Next one, what's up with loading pics into the Members Garage? Some pics work, but some come up with the dreaded red cross instead of a thumbnail. Can't see any logic to it (file format, file size, pic size)?

:looney:

Next one, what's up with loading pics into the Members Garage? Some pics work, but some come up with the dreaded red cross instead of a thumbnail. Can't see any logic to it (file format, file size, pic size)?
I've answered that somewhere in this post already, but simply put there's a PHP problem with creating a JPEG image on the fly from an image stored in the database. Unfortunately the garage uses this method to create the thumbnails. The problem has been traced to JPEGS that contain embeded information, which most of them do especially ones from digital cameras which contain stuff like date, time, camera make and model etc etc.

The authors of the garage hack are aware of the problem, and to overcome it they intend to release a new version that stores files on the server and not in the database, but it's a little way off yet.

There is, however, a way around the problem. Just do the following...

1) Load the JPEG image into MS Paint

2) Save it as a PNG file

3) Load the new PNG file into MS Paint

4) Save it as a JPEG file again

This process seems to remove and/or fix the problem with the embeded information, and when you upload them to the garage they will work ok.

Can't you hold down ctrl and scroll with the mouse wheel to do that?

If I had a mouse or even a mouse with a wheel I could do that, I can also do "View > Text Size" in my browser but this changes it for all sites and the rest haven't just suddenly made their fonts bigger so I'm happy with those :)

I'll get used to this if it's been setup for the partially sighted or something, I don't want to exclude anyone just because of my preference to have more information on screen.

This may have already been asked, but I'm too lazy to read through all the pages on this thread, so I apologise in advance if it has...

Just a minor niggle, is there any way you can either reduce the size of the ad banners at the top, or the Supra logo?

If ever I jump directly to a thread, (from E-mail, or after posting for example), the whole page shifts to the left to accomodate the banner.

Other than that, it's looking good. Still a few things I don't understand, but I love the PM's now :thumbs:

I see that the FAQ is like a search button.

Can we not post this under the FAQ too ?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=14

As a noob, I'm sure they would like to browse all FAQ's as not everyone knows what to search for.

To find the linked section above, they have to dig and find the sub section....not noobie friendly IMO.

Can you link the above FAQ to an option under the word FAQ ?

Just a thought :)

(I know that there are now specific FAQ sections now but, the above general FAQ for 1st timers is a good starting point)