The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another Knackered GT4088

Ryan.G

Mine says Garrett and DAF

Not to worry im picking up my new T61 this afternoon. Will go through the manifold with a fine tooth comb and then if it looks alright now will pop it on.

No boosting tho for 200 miles as got to finish running in of clutch.

That's nasty and some serious wear/damage. Was it somehow still in balance though? If a bigass turbo like that goes out of balance it'll burn oil like a 2 stroke :)

You should have nicked Wez's ;)

-Ian

No loss of oil and shaft seems still stong with only little play. So glad i checked it out as would have hated for the guy to buy it and fit.

Just a quick update to this thread

basically got the manifold off and gave a good clean out with shot blaster at my friends workshop.

Have also manage to get hold of a precision t61 today thanks to STUPRA. Great Guy

Took for quick drive and feels lovely so much more responsive and at part boost its spools soooo faster.

Roll on next week and will get Mr license to drive it while i map it :D

Right of to wales mapping now so hopefully there is wireless at travelodge lol

Ryan

Hmm looking at those compressor housings I see the one I got on my new turbo with the funny 90 degree angle on the oulet. Is that normal? My car doesn't have that it has a straight out outlet.
They don't come from the turbo manufacturer with a 90° bend on the compressor outlet. It's a bodge done by someone else to make it fit a certain car.

Short radius 90° bends are not good for gas flow.

They don't come from the turbo manufacturer with a 90° bend on the compressor outlet. It's a bodge done by someone else to make it fit a certain car.

Short radius 90° bends are not good for gas flow.

My BL came with the same radius bend welded on by BL themselves. Almost all turbo's I've seen that use the 'stock' IC pipe routing need to use a 90 degree (or very close to it) radius in order to get the IC pipe pointing towards the inner wing.

Edited - just seen your garage and your's uses the 'other' method... it's a tidier way of doing things, but very hard work to do.

My BL came with the same radius bend welded on by BL themselves.

Indeed, BL did it, not Garrett/Precision/Whoever.

As I said; BL have modified the turbo to fit a Supra. I'm pretty sure the turbo manufacturer didn't weld the right angle onto it.

My BL came with the same radius bend welded on by BL themselves. Almost all turbo's I've seen that use the 'stock' IC pipe routing need to use a 90 degree (or very close to it) radius in order to get the IC pipe pointing towards the inner wing.

Edited - just seen your garage and your's uses the 'other' method... it's a tidier way of doing things, but very hard work to do.

Ah right mine is indeed a BL housing so if anyone wants one I have one as its utterly useless to me.