The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spun out the supra today

turbonut

No, the point I'm trying to make is simple.. All these driver aids are good for what they do, HOWEVER they are driver aids and drivers must not just assume because they have X gadget that they are indestructable on the road, as well as they should be aware of the fact that the car's handling/traction/driveability limits have changed.

Think about it. Without RLTC the car is more likely to snap out sooner, but it would be slightly more gentle since the car isn't being pushed as hard, with RLTC engaged the car/rltc will assist the driver in pushing to a higher limit whether or not the driver is upto handling this higher limit is a completely different question.

I sort of agree but also sort of don't. I think IanC sums it up best when he says that if he can feel it working then he's going to fast. That's the way I look at it too. However, when there is the odd time that you wouldn't expect it to be needed then I'm tankful it can react quicker than I can.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys in theory its a risk taking any high powered car out in the wet in my opinion even more so driving it hard, the only reason I would consider RLTC is if I were really struggling with traction in the dry and had 5-600bhp under my right foot....not to help me power out of bends in the pissing rain

That's if you have the luxury of another car for wet days.

Guys in theory its a risk taking any high powered car out in the wet in my opinion even more so driving it hard, the only reason I would consider RLTC is if I were really struggling with traction in the dry and had 5-600bhp under my right foot....not to help me power out of bends in the pissing rain

But it is fun :p

Please don't anybody get me wrong here, RLTC is a good unit, just don't put faith in it 24/7 :) Remember we are only connected with 4 small patches the side of your hands to the road...

But it is fun :p

Please don't anybody get me wrong here, RLTC is a good unit, just don't put faith in it 24/7 :) Remember we are only connected with 4 small patches the side of your hands to the road...

Absolutely. If anything look at this time of year all the way through to when the clocks go forward in the spring as a time to save fuel and just enjoy the car. I won't be switching RL away from WET until then.

Save the antics for when it's dry and hot and the grip is better.

yeah, even LSD wouldnt have helped. A delivery truck left a trail of diesel all over the park earlier this year :rolleyes: but its skated in the damp before though fine in the wet, if that makes sense ;) I was a bit too keen on the throttle but I usually enjoy throwing it around that island without mishap :D

Had two new front tyres fitted last week Dunlop SP9000's and the front alignment done the week before so nothing mechanical. Just me being a bit naughty :innocent:

Lx

Glad you are ok Linda! What tyres have you got on the back? I have two new dunlops on the back with a pair of half used cheapies on the front. The problem I now have in the wet is that the car will understeer as the Dunlops are that good!!;)

Sounds like you now have mega grip on the front but very little on the back!:blink:

This also reminds me of a Harry Enfield sketch where a woman was being advised on driving a car in the 1930's. The advert states: A car is a complicated system based on the internal combustion engine! "Women, for pity's sake. Know your limits!!" :sly::D

H.

Glad you (and the car) sound OK...

It's refreshing to hear you blame it on "to much gas" and not the usual "diesel", "big black cat", mouse shit on road, etc etc.

Think most of us have the odd "moment" due to our right foot, mine have been infrequent and tiny (up to now) which I put down to being cautious in the wet and just lucky !

The Supe is easier to drive in the wet than the MX5 SOO had, and masses easier than my old Westfield (saying that, the winscreen blades were so slow that you couldn't see anything anyway- although the speed didn't matter really as they didn't touch to windscreen - added to that it used to mist up like a sauna and at the same time you were choking on the fumes coming up from the engine and completely deafened ) I really miss it though :blink:

but front slid as much as the back

All this talk of RLTC and throttle control and no-one seemed to notice that the front slid too?

Sounds to me like it started with understeer. Maybe the road was just very slippy. If the front went too, then throttle control won't have had much to do with it.

All this talk of RLTC and throttle control and no-one seemed to notice that the front slid too?

Sounds to me like it started with understeer. Maybe the road was just very slippy. If the front went too, then throttle control won't have had much to do with it.

Especially if it was one of those painted on mini roundabouts. Bloody nightmare in the wet!