The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spun out the supra today

turbonut

Guest yoshi_v300

Here's my 10 pence worth (as I am king of the sideways / spinning 360s at Knockhill circuit / binning it on the M6 in the rain).

- when it's greasy, try to 'feel' when the road is slippy. Try to look for this feedback esp. on cold tyres.

- softer compound tyres give better grip in wet conditions, but they wear out fast...the choice is yours

- throttle control is everything. Traction control system is a good idea as a safety feature but shouldn't be seen as an enhancement. Trust me, I've had the traction control going bezerk but it didn't stop me from hitting the armco. It will do bugger all when the tyre has lost total grip.

- go to a greasy drift ring or a track day when it's pissing with rain (as it rains mostly in this country, easy). It'll help let you know what to do when your car is out of shape in the wet and where the limits of your car/tyres are.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to here you ok and the car isn't damaged,i'd get it cheacked over it doesn't take much to nock it out of line. We've all done it :innocent:

good to see the old diesel excuse's came out !!

Its a natural reaction to hit the brakes when you start to skid which then just makes the front do the same nothing to do with how good your tyres are.

did your airbags save you at all ?

sniggers

:shock: come here rich let me spank you :eyebrows::spank:

:D

ABS was an option in 93 but its on mine, yes. RLTC and LSD didnt come as standard on the NA. Interesting debate though ;) worse part was the fact it was rush hour n peeps going into work :whistle::hide:

Just washed and polished it and apologised to it profusely :notworthy

Theyre so tractable usually, its easy to forget they can bite, though it can be fun :D thanks for the concern and sorry I'll be more careful next time :imsorry:

Lxx

You had alignment done a week before fitting new tyres? Did the tyre place re-check it? Might be an idea to get this looked at.

I get mine done after 2000 miles on new tyres as well.

there was very heavy wear on the inside shoulders of the front tyres. apparently having coilovers fitted and lowered to such a degree created too much neg camber. It was toeing out too much too, which I realised. couldnt see the point of putting new tyres on without sorting it as theyd just end up wearing the same way, make sense?? Im taking it back to weston for a general look over anyway as the suspension was loose at the front, could be back is similar. Bit of creaking on turning and accelerating from standstill

L

So ABS is on yours?

Was it a case of losing the back end then?

It went front and back, was just like being on ice, not a jot of traction thats why brakes useless as no grip :rolleyes: yup it had some options on it, including a drivers air bag, although I have two of my own, as has been mentioned :innocent:

Lx

Greasy roads from drizzly rain, island, too much gas, spun it out :( Fortunately didnt wreck the front as I wasnt going too fast but front slid as much as the back making the brakes useless.

bumped up against the kerb and scraped the bumper underneath but not noticeable damage. Just had the front alignment done, hope its not fooked it up :rolleyes:

Island was on business park so no heavy traffic, thankfully :blink:

Makes me think whether its worth upgrading to UK spec brakes & discs although I'm not sure they'll clear the Fox RS5 alloys - 18" Worth it??

Linda

x

hey your female, it happens:innocent:

Sorry to hear this Linda but at least you and the car are OK :)

Its all very well a lot of folk on here preaching at you about not losing the back end driving it on greasy/wet roads, but we all need to face that anything can happen with a high powered RWD, which naturally lacks the 'safety margin' of 4wds or even FWDs to some degree.

I once used to think I was Mr RWD, owning nothing but RWDs for 7 odd years until I wrote my old car off totally unexpectadly in misty (not wet) conditions with very little throttle at all...

A spin/fishtail/monster drift can happen to anyone. Even to the most hardened RWD Supra Internet Keyboard nerd warrior there is :) lol

Bloody hell Linda!

My heart missed a beat when I saw the thread title.

Thank god your ok and the car isnt to badly damaged.

Put that down to a lucky escape and look upon it as a lesson learned.

Take it easy on the roads. Winters on the way!

I don't want you to damage any of that fine body work Linda.

and look after the car too ;)