The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Miami-GT Dyno Day - Surrey

Dragonball

Great to meet so many new faces today :)

Some really nice cars, wish I'd bothered washing mine before turning up!

That 350 sounded sweet, mind you it did have two RSR's!

The figures for some people were a little strange but James, Chinaman, China's mate and myself seemed to get about the right HP figures.

323rwhp I guess is about right for a decatted car so I'm quite pleased with that. Strangely the AFR seems to be fine on high boost but I don't know what to make of the figure when its on low boost.

Graphs are attached - any comments on the AFR readings?

Cheers

Darryl

Edited to correct spelling!

afr-rwhp-flyhp.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by Jake

James, (Arup)

I was wondering what spec your car is. Yours made 50hp more than mine (RZ Auto, decatted, Walbro)

The difference may be due to my car running too rich. I'll do a seperate thread about that though.

Hey Jake,

My car is also running rich ... that was the one thing that they did tell me (along with clouds of black smoke on my first run, and a comedy soot stain on the back wall!! LOL! :p )

Here are the specs of mine (the meaningful ones): -

1995 RZ

Decatted (both)

HKS Hiper

Blitz SBC ID3 + Powermeter

TRL FCD

ARC FMIC

550cc Injectors

SAFC 2

Uprated Fuel Pump

Apexi Induction

HKS SSQV

... Probably forgot something ....

It was supposed to be hitting 1.2 bar, but it actually got to 1.3 :conf: . There may be something else that was put in there from when the car was in Japan that I don't know about though? I'm assuming the turbos are standard, but I honestly wouldn't know!

Cheers, J :thumbs:

Originally posted by mcanny

This might help

Sometimes Micheal you could cut yourself...!

Well I think there were some reality checks made - some came away almost spot on to what should have been made

The machine didn't lie methinks?

But then - who cares what the figures mean - check out the torque and AFR - thats what it's all about!

I agree that they need more experience with GTR's m8 - the four wheel drive buggered them up proper! The Diff question worried m8 - and why have a four wheel drive and not use it? But better safe than sorry eh?

Jake - yours was really strange m8 - but loads after came away with std AFR''s after? That wil cost you loads of power!

Good to see everyone anyway - and not a bad jaunt for the money - worth doing anyway methinks! next time will lay on some proper refreshments etc and get few more down

:thumbs:

Originally posted by SkyJawa

Mates Cupra R was 222bhp :rolleyes: VAG 1.8T always put out book and thats not even OEM figures and his is chipped. At 5 other rolling roads not one (even standard) has come in at less than 225. Having been in it and on the road next to him there is no way its that low. However thats definately what its putting out supposedly - suffice to say he's now gonna go straight to another rollers and see what that says.............

Anyway - rant over - but it was a fun day out seeing the other cars and people etc.....

Some pics and vids here :)

That Dyno if its used correctly is the most acurate around , same as G force and CPL , he gets complaints all the time about 'oh i thought it was more than that' , this is the same make of dyno that the touring cars are tested on to see if they may be cheating and warrant a strip down , sure he can go to another dyno and get a higher figure but whos he kidding ????, like ive allways said they are great for tuning and seeing if you have made a worthwhile gain but you must allways use the same Dyno .

Dude:flame Dev

Originally posted by JamesArup

Here are the specs of mine (the meaningful ones): -

Thanks James, interesting. Mine was apparently only hitting 1.0 bar so that and your extra spec, and/or mine running rich would account for the difference.

Cheers

Originally posted by Paul E

Jake - yours was really strange m8 - but loads after came away with std AFR''s after? That wil cost you loads of power!

Yeah I need to get it checked out. Still, rich is better than lean!

Thanks for organizing today, Paul

:respekt:

Guest Charlie@SRR
Originally posted by SkyJawa

Good to see ya again Tom - like the motor :D Nice to see everyone else too, and some new faces :D :thumbs:

I'm sorry, but here goes:

Sorry Paul - cheers for organising it and all :thumbs:, but IMHO they need MUCH more experience before they carry on doing dyno days.

I think they were clueless. The power runs were all over the shop and there's not one I would consider right, pinch of salt very much required. They seemed to be bickering amongst themselves rather alot too.....

My Skyline caused the rollers to crash and reboot :rolleyes: and I'm glad I didn't get a run (they didn't want to blow my car up :eek: )and thus fork out 35 for something I wouldn't have trusted.

Mates Cupra R was 222bhp :rolleyes: VAG 1.8T always put out book and thats not even OEM figures and his is chipped. At 5 other rolling roads not one (even standard) has come in at less than 225. Having been in it and on the road next to him there is no way its that low. However thats definately what its putting out supposedly - suffice to say he's now gonna go straight to another rollers and see what that says.............

Anyway - rant over - but it was a fun day out seeing the other cars and people etc.....

Some pics and vids here :)

Hi,

I hope you will allow me to reply to your comments. The road has complex 4wd settings to protect the transmission from damage, the setting needs to be right for the car. We run Subaru's and Evo's all the time and hence know the settings for these cars. We have not run a skyline before, nor were we informed one would be along on the day. I was NOT going to run your car unless I was sure that it was on the right settings for a Skyline!

We spent time trying to sort this out, decided not to run the car... We could have taken your money and run it anyway.

The wheel horsepower figs our road give out are accurate, I stand by them. Some of the Flywheel horsepower figs the transmission loss program was giving today with auto's were a bit iffy, and I'm looking into this. But this does not affect the WHP Figs!

The wheel figs are whats important!

I would rather people went away disappointed and with an accurate figure than just fudge the results and make everyone happy.

As for your mates Cupra, I would be very interested what it gives out at the wheels on other roads.

Thanks,

Charlie Wright.

Managing Director

Surrey Rolling Road Ltd.

Originally posted by Charlie@SRR

Hi,

I hope you will allow me to reply to your comments. The road has complex 4wd settings to protect the transmission from damage, the setting needs to be right for the car. We run Subaru's and Evo's all the time and hence know the settings for these cars. We have not run a skyline before, nor were we informed one would be along on the day. I was NOT going to run your car unless I was sure that it was on the right settings for a Skyline!

We spent time trying to sort this out, decided not to run the car... We could have taken your money and run it anyway.

The wheel horsepower figs our road give out are accurate, I stand by them. Some of the Flywheel horsepower figs the transmission loss program was giving today with auto's were a bit iffy, and I'm looking into this. But this does not affect the WHP Figs!

I would rather people went away disappointed and with an accurate figure than just fudge the results and make everyone happy.

As for your mates Cupra, I would be very interested what it gives out at the wheels on other roads.

Thanks,

Charlie Wright.

Managing Director

Surrey Rolling Road Ltd.

Hah hah Charlie , no-one like the cold truth do they , prehap[s you should have got a hub dyno then everyone could have a million HP and theyd all be happy ;) Sounds like you run a realistic operation with no bullshit , stick with it and dont worry about the mines got more than that brigade , my car seems to have less HP than most out there but it goes pretty well where it counts :sly:

I was not going to doubt the figures that I was given but they were so low for a TT vvti Tiptronic R reg car it immediately set bells off in my head, that's all, dissapointment at the figures is the least of my worries, something wrong with my baby now that's another story!!!!!!!!!!!! Paul thank you so much for orgaizing this day out for us and thanks for my Blingy new sills ummmmmmmm!!!!x

Regards,

Sheena:)

In fairness to Charlie - I did not inform him of the pending arrival of the purple taxi! My fault entirely! Sorry Neil!

And I am sure that he will have done his homework on them for the future - as thats the next lot to get down!!

I thought the through-put seemed fast and reasonable and the results very accurate

If you want 'pub' dyno figures then just dont go there again - but if interested in your real result for Tuning, AFR and Torque then this would appear to give you what you need...?:thumbs:

Dude - have you got a BPU++++ high powered jobby we can try out up there soon?

Originally posted by Paul E

In fairness to Charlie - I did not inform him of the pending arrival of the purple taxi! My fault entirely! Sorry Neil!

And I am sure that he will have done his homework on them for the future - as thats the next lot to get down!!

I thought the through-put seemed fast and reasonable and the results very accurate

No worries mate :) - defo need some serious GTR homework, but afraid I won't be going back (sure they'll be happy with that! ;))- I'll be sticking with Thor dyno's in future.

Fast? You are joking aren't you? Thats some of the slowest dyno-ing I've ever seen. :eek:

And how many runs were they giving them some of the cars :eek: I wouldn't have allowed it with mine and I had to say to Sheena after about the 7th run that it won't have been doing the car any favours - 3 runs in succession absolute tops for any car sat on a dyno - surprised they did more, but then I guess theres that disclaimer we had to sign......... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by dude

That Dyno if its used correctly is the most acurate around , same as G force and CPL , he gets complaints all the time about 'oh i thought it was more than that' , this is the same make of dyno that the touring cars are tested on to see if they may be cheating and warrant a strip down , sure he can go to another dyno and get a higher figure but whos he kidding ????, like ive allways said they are great for tuning and seeing if you have made a worthwhile gain but you must allways use the same Dyno .

I'm sure it is mate, and I have no complaints with the dyno, but the operators IMHO need a bit more experience. Some of the reversing onto it :eek:

Totally agree - the only decent "real" dyno is an engine dyno on a flow bench, as you say though, it will do as a start point and then to return to later to see the effects of anything you've done.

Originally posted by Charlie@SRR

Hi,

Thanks,

Charlie Wright.

Managing Director

Surrey Rolling Road Ltd.

Hi Charlie,

Fair play, I guess there was some confusion there, and we got the line from Middlehurst (UK GTR dealers) about my car and the correct setting still caused your dyno to shut down - this is worrying and perhaps you need to look into the GTR thing before you invite them to your rollers? As I am sure you will, sure you can get G-Force's settings somehow ;)

As for pulling a fuse (I know this was suggested, perhaps not by yourselves), this is not a good idea on an R33 or R34, ok on an R32, but the GTR and SkylineOwners board will confirm this. If my car runs on a dyno then I expect it to run how it would be on the road - otherwise what is the point.......

As for running the car - indeed you could have, fortunately you showed the professionalism to confess you didn't know what to set it at and were worried about the results the dyno was reporting so top job in pulling it off and I agreed with your judgement there. And as for time trying to sort this, agreed - yes a little was spent, but you took far longer on other cars such as Sheena's R reg tiptronic so I don't believe you can factor time in as an issue.

We will keep you updated re the cupra - as my links above show, its a worrying figure your dyno reported in comparison, and his car performs on the road alongside them impecibly........

I'm not trying to piss anyone off, just my impressions from the day - like them or no, but all help in giving you thought and maybe something to look at, or not, up to you........

All the best with your venture

Neil

Sheena, I hope you get the problem sorted out soon.

These guy are new so give them a break. They did messed up my friends MR2 boost guage, we think they plug the hose in the old guage and not the new one. Thats minor problem and at least non of the car today came running off the dyno while doing the run, whats the worse that can happen?

My results

looks ok don't you think? At least 3 good runs from 3 supra TT today.

China