The mkiv Supra Owners Club

24 pot AMG brembo brake upgrade

paul mac

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not been plane sailing Matt, the messing about factor was quite considerable and the car was off the road for quite a while which i dont mind but others may not be prepared to tolerate

And with my track record i've got to make use of as much as possible the time i have with my supra as it seems to be always somewhere except with me!! Lol :D Couldnt be ars just need to sure im making myself think only about that instead of those gorgeous front and rear set ups you have...oops nearly went of my train of thought then :D

but if you start selling this kits as bolt on job now you have done all the leg work, it would be a hell of a purchase over mine

Matt i have had a few pm's on this, i would never offer the brakes as a kit, a) getting hold of the caliper without resorting to illegal means :D would be difficult and, b) from a legal point of view where would i stand if something went wrong with someone elses installation and someone was hurt, i will gladly advise anyone and provide drawings (thats what forums are all about) but so i can sleep at night thats as far as it goes :blink:

Matt i have had a few pm's on this, i would never offer the brakes as a kit, a) getting hold of the caliper without resorting to illegal means :D would be difficult and, b) from a legal point of view where would i stand if something went wrong with someone elses installation and someone was hurt, i will gladly advise anyone and provide drawings (thats what forums are all about) but so i can sleep at night thats as far as it goes :blink:

Fair enough, but you could sell them as "for show" only :D which means if someone fitted them you wouldnt be liable . All you would need then is a bank account to take all the funds and then just a cup of horlicks for the nights sleep :D

• 5 months later...

Paul,

Is there any chance you have a photo of the AMG rear pad next to a UK spec rear pad please?

It's clear to me that the front pad area is roughly double that of a UK spec but I am wondering about the rears......?

Thanks

Dan

• 2 years later...
Paul,

A few questions for you mate....

What is your caliper bracket material?

Do you know what the caliper piston material is?

Any idea of weight of the complete front or rear setup?

How about the weight of a rear caliper (no pads or brackets)?

Hi Dan

This is a blast from the past :D, bracket material was T6 ally, i didn't work out any stuctural loadings i just used the tried and tested battleship engineering principle and made them BIG, are you making your own brackets ? as i have some tips that could save you time.

The front face of the pistons is steel and looking through my old pics found one that backs this up, whats on the inside of the caliper is a mystery to me as the front face that contacts the pad may be attached to something else undernieth.

As for weights i have seen your thread but i dont have anything exact, i will weigh it all the next time they come off (shame as its all been off recently for my suspension rebuild), from memory there wasn't much in the fronts, lighter by about half a kilo i think but the rears were considerably lighter due to the lack of handbrake gubbins

Thanks mate. I added your kit to the comparison table I've done - hope that's alright with you? The materials and weights were the only bits of missing info, hence the questions.

I was in the process of making rear caliper brackets for my setup but I've just had a shoulder operation and am out of action for a few weeks.....fabrication is on hold! :( I didn't go with the AMG stuff in the end, I bought a full set of Alcon monoblocks :faint: I'm going with fully floating Alcon 365mm front discs and stock 324mm rear discs.

aa.jpg

bb.jpg

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

They sure are and I very nearly went with the same setup but (and I'm sure Paul will agree) the aftermarket disc availability is not amazing with the AMG stuff as the swept region is very deep and specific to these AMG motors. That put me off a little bit plus I didn't really want to just copy Paul's approach :D

Thanks mate. I added your kit to the comparison table I've done - hope that's alright with you? The materials and weights were the only bits of missing info, hence the questions.

I was in the process of making rear caliper brackets for my setup but I've just had a shoulder operation and am out of action for a few weeks.....fabrication is on hold! :( I didn't go with the AMG stuff in the end, I bought a full set of Alcon monoblocks :faint: I'm going with fully floating Alcon 365mm front discs and stock 324mm rear discs.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz202/danc8000/Brake%20Stuff/2b245439.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz202/danc8000/Brake%20Stuff/35d06345.jpg

yep saw the Alcon stuff on your brake thread, they look very sexy calipers and the cast in bridge looks excellent (mine are bolted in) these should make these calipers uber rigid, i really must look into how they actually machine the piston bores on these monoblock jobbies, when i looked at mine i thought how the $*%# do they do that :D

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...