The mkiv Supra Owners Club

24 pot AMG brembo brake upgrade

paul mac

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! Could you not have run the stock in bell shoe type handbrake arrangement on the rear?

no unfortunately the buggers were 10 mm to small the supe is 190mm brake shoe (i'm sure you know this lol) but the thoughtless b*****ds at Mercedes used a 180 shoe, my initial plan was to get some from the scrappy the right size which i did from a ford KA but there was no way they would fit with the size of the supra wheel bearing, hence plan B machine off the handbrake drum and the Wilwood calipers

Brembo do the 14" with a compact caliper

Paul M, what sort of cost was involved?

£2000 ish for front and rear, i was originally going to get the 6 pot monoblock kit from MVP but to much red wine and e-bay is a dangerous combination on a friday night and before i knew it i was the proud owner of a set of McClaren SLR 8 pot calipers, though i dont think they came off an SLR :D

break down of cost~

front calipers e-bay £500

discs front and rear (USA) £1200

rear calipers e-bay (USA) £250

front bells (hi-spec) £120

pads £200

Misc nuts, bolts, aluminium, fluid £50

to offset this i have my brakes to sell, so total budget about £2000

They look out of this world:)

more like off a merc :D

looks like a nice setup.

as you have changed both the front and the rear calipers the brake bias should be ok, right?

What about the rest of the braking system, can it build enough pressure to get these calipers to perform? How does that work?

What about the rest of the braking system, can it build enough pressure to get these calipers to perform? How does that work?

good question mate, time will tell, if they dont perform well then i suppose i've gone to all this trouble the next logical step would be to graft on the merc master cylinder, but i dont track the car (yet) and had uk's as a benchmark prior to these so i know what decent brakes feel like, as you say i dont think the bias should be an isuue but if it is AP do a nice valve setup

Cool, good to see someone trying something different like that. They look they'll give you some serious stopping power... just hope your Falken tyres can keep up :)

good spot, no they cant keep up now :D, i have toyos on the front the falkens are on borowed time they are crap

I would say it would be cheaper, easier and better to change the rear disc size to accommodate a bell with the stock handbrake shoe arrangement within, and make caliper brackets to suit the revised disc, if it were to be semi productionised. It may not be possible, but i feel it well COULD be done.

couldn't agree more Chris i am sure a suitable bell/disc combination could be found, i think from a kit point of view the limiting factor would be the calipers as they aint going to be to thick on the ground, the front bells arrived today, specials made by hi-spec who i cant recomend enough jolly helpfull guys didn't question why i wasn't using their discs (they dont do any the right size) and all for £116, they are off to get anodised tommorow, oh and the assistant engineer sneeked in as well :)

car 082.jpg

car 084.jpg

car 086.jpg