The mkiv Supra Owners Club

180 mph

blackshadow

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just curious, what happens when you switch the torsen lsd with the trd? ratios change dramaticly? more top end less top end?

From memory the diff doesnt change the ratio, the ring and pinion if changed will though.

Changing the diff from any type of stock diff to a TRD diff won't change the final drive ratio.

The actual diff is attached to the ring gear which is swapped from the diff you have to the TRD diff. As a result the ratio remains the same.

Changing the diff from any type of stock diff to a TRD diff won't change the final drive ratio.

The actual diff is attached to the ring gear which is swapped from the diff you have to the TRD diff. As a result the ratio remains the same.

Thanks for confirming Tony, thats clears one thing up with the gear calculator :)

No probs. It's a common misconception. The big metal bit that people can see from under the car is actually the diff carrier, not the diff itself.

The actual diff looks like this:-

http://www.boomplustoys.net/images/trd/TRD%20LSD%20for%20AE86.JPG

The hole pattern around the outer edge is what the ring gear bolts to.

The pinion gear is bolted to the end of the prop shaft and is what spins the ring gear and consequently the diff itself.

The diff then adjusts how much drive is put to the left and right wheels.

What i ment was UK vs Jspec and Auto vs Manual. Do they all use identical diffs

There are two stock diff types but different ratios :-

Crown Wheel Size: A (8'' - 203mm), B (8.7'' - 221mm)

Differential Ratio: 01 (4.083:1), 02 (3.769:1), 03 (3.267:1)

Differential Type: A (Standard open differential), B (Torsen LSD)

There are two stock diff types but different ratios :-

Crown Wheel Size: A (8'' - 203mm), B (8.7'' - 221mm)

Differential Ratio: 01 (4.083:1), 02 (3.769:1), 03 (3.267:1)

Differential Type: A (Standard open differential), B (Torsen LSD)

It's not that simple (wish it was!), for example, the export spec 6spd diffs don't fit into those.

Guest drlee

i got 196,on gps,that was before i sorted brakes,,oh yes,and had to replace engine,because a spark plug wanted to get intimate with no,4 piston!!!lesson learnt,all sorted now tho. d

Guest Leadfoot

I can confirm that a T88 will pull 200mph. The after market front bumper will not . Bonnet pins are highly recomended

the thing i would be worried is since i have a aftermarket fibreglass front bumper (copy's) any weakness in the bumper could make it split and fly off or get trapped under the car while doing 170/180 mph

could this happen or am i safe ?????

the thing i would be worried is since i have a aftermarket fibreglass front bumper (copy's) any weakness in the bumper could make it split and fly off or get trapped under the car while doing 170/180 mph

It will depend on the bumper design and how well it is constructed and secured. The do-luck design is incredibly strong as it has a huge undertray which stops almost all flex at the front end. My old one is a very well made copy and never had an issue after many, many high speed runs (120+ on probably hundreds of occasions)

It topped out at 198mph on the stock rev limiter in 6th gear and felt absolutely planted to the track.

Good to know. I have a genuine Do-luck front and feel better now. How about rear spoilers? I have a low profile genuine Top Secret job, and I know I should feel confident in it, but I do like to worry.......

The stock bolts do a good enough job keeping it on at silly speeds (much more than 200mph), so unless it's poorly secured or is producing a lot more downforce it will be fine :) The stock one has been known to go past 230 mph ;)

The rear wiper is another matter!!

The stock bolts do a good enough job keeping it on at silly speeds (much more than 200mph), so unless it's poorly secured or is producing a lot more downforce it will be fine :) The stock one has been known to go past 230 mph ;)

The rear wiper is another matter!!

Cheers :)

Guest drlee

its cool resurecting old threads isnt it!!its like digging your dads old flares out of the loft,thrashing them on for a time honoured visit to the local pub:p

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Budz86

Something along these lines happened to a mate of mine in his R33 Liner. Bumper came off (luckily only doing about 40 at the time, but at the end of a dual carriageway) and got stuck under the front 2 wheels :blink:. He had no steering and couldnt help but drift it straight into the roundabout! Car was written off and he was quite shaken up.

He now drives a corsa! lol