Oil advice and recommendations

oilman

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I need some advice. Supposed to be using 0W-30 in the Accord 2.2 diesel (gen7 57 plate), Honda apparently recommend Castrol, but the owners club say just to use Optima Vimax 0W/30 fully synthetic as it's the same but cheaper. Now I know from your threads there is a lot of stuff in oil that means they're never 'the same'! So what's the difference between the £9.5 per litre Castrol Edge and the £3.6 per litre Optima?

One of the main differences in oils is often the additive pack

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-articles/Oil-Additive-Package.pdf

By reducing the quality of the additive package, the way the oil behaves can be drastically affected, although the label on the can may say 0w-30 Synthetic, just like the expensive oil does. If the quality of the basestock is reduced as well, not to a lesser type, just a more basic synthetic, again the can reads the same, but the oil doesn't do as good a job of protecting the engine.

I know Castrol are expensive, but they are good oils, usually exceeding the requirements of the specifications rather than just meeting them. They also do things like sponsor World Cups, which does add to the price. There are other oils, such as Fuchs, Millers, Motul and Gulf that are very good alternatives to Castrol. Gulf is probably the one I'd consider at the moment, very good oils at bargain prices due to the their re-introductory offers. Apparently, they are likely to be roughly twice as expensive as we have them for when they get into petrol station forecourts.

Cheers

Tim

Hi

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XFS, Shell Helix, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

As a budget choice, a 10w-40 will be fine and I would either go for the Fuchs XTR, Shell Helix, Millers XSS or Motul 6100

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-657-10w-40.aspx

Cheers

Tim

Is ester based the best? Apparently that Optima Vimax 0W/30 I mentioned is ester based even though it's pretty cheap? How do you know if one is ester or PAO and whether or not it's any good even if it is?

Yes, ester based oils are classed as group V oils and there is only 5 groups. They are usually a pao/ester blend.

Cheers

Guy

• 1 year later...

Hi folks,

With winter here and plenty of cold starts, perhaps it's time to consider changing the oil that you use in your car.

Does your antifreeze need changing?

Is your gearshift okay when cold?

Do you need something to protect your car from the weather?

Let us know if you need any advice, we are here to help. You can call us on 01209 202944, email us at [email protected], or just ask here.

Cheers

oilman

• 1 month later...