Comparison of Single Turbo RWHPs

Jake

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you need to be careful you are comparing apples with apples guys. All manifolds should be the same material etc, preferably the same dyno.
Indeed. I chose these three cars because they were all dyno'd at the same place.

Not much I can do about the manifolds etc though.

Indeed. I chose these three cars because they were all dyno'd at the same place.

My last dyno print was with boost problems, but wasn't far off of Joe's curve at all. Car goes away next week for an engine rebuild amongst other things. IF it goes back to the same dyno for finishing, then I will post the chart for you :)

Good comparison idea though as a few cars have been dyno'd there.

Jakes, when i went from the T88 to the GT4088 i lost about 100peak bhp, but the way the smaller turbo delivered its power made for a far faster street car, id never go large turbo again for a street car,

Imo have the best of both worlds, small to mid size tubby with Nos for that extra top end punch if you come up against something real fast.:)

Take your point Jamie, i guess its what u want... i generally don't hammer mine all the time... just like it really as street sleeper and upset very high exotic cars when i break boost and leave them standing like they were parked up or stood in a car park.. The t51r really isnt that laggy compared to the t88...

These are manual gearboxes ya know, easy enough to drop it down one gear and bob is your uncle. ;)

The only way... i could gain from you guys is really a 3rd gear pull onwards (at the right rpm), 1st and 2nd all i'd be seeing is your rear bumper and i'd be eating your dust :rolleyes:

Looking at my old T67 journal bearing graph it sits between Jakes and Gamers. Nice :)

4000rpm = 215bhp

5000rpm = 420bhp

6000rpm = 570bhp

6500rpm = 630bhp

Factor in my 8% drivetrain losses

4000rpm = 195bhp (just ahead of Gamer)

5000rpm = 385bhp (just behind Jake!)

6000rpm = 525bhp (equalling Suprafan)

6500rpm = 580bhp (er, hang on... :blink: )

Wait a minute, much as I'd like to think it were true, the old non-Dbb T67 surely can't leave a T71GTQ for dead and then overtake a T51R? Apart from Jakes turbo massively pwning the others below 4500-5000rpm, it appears to be the best of both worlds - faster spool and more power. What was the boost these turbos were running at? What cams? (cams are a huge factor in 6000+ rpm breathing, stockers really choke up)

One day I might get the DBB dyno'd but I'm not sure I can be arsed as I know it's 'better' in the midrange :)

-Ian

OK, the reason mine is/was not performing to it's full potential is due to the fact that I had a leaky seal on the T71 that I did not know about until the system was pressure tested a few weeks later. That was the reason behind my high EGT problem that I was trying to diagnose.

Mine was not holding boost very well as can be seen in the SRR sheet that I posted that was done about a week or so after the Maplin run.

I had the work done to rectify the leaky seal then I went to SRR again but because I did not have the Motec tweaked again to take into account the now properly working turbo she was running a bit rich so my power output actually went down. I would have had the map tweaked again but it was on my way home from SRR that I had my accident. ;)

Regarding the cams, IIRC, I had 264/264 at that time

*Story to be continued when my car is ready again*

How do you mean "Factor in my 8% drivetrain losses"? It works the other doesnt it? The 580rwhp was what was measured and the 630fwhp was calculated, wasnt it?

Mine was at 1.4 bar with 264/264 cams but they wouldn't help the top end on an asthmatic turbo like the PHR1-GT60