The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Full BPU Vs Hybrids

Wayney

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to doubting Thomas we go ;)

Sorry fella, i have to concur, J spec tubbies just don't have the flow at 1.25, they might at 1.5;) but would put in so much heat you would loose power, + AFAIK grey injectors are J spec to, think maybe the RR is set up for customer satisfaction.

I agree. Mine is running 1.4 and has been for ages.

I have noticed that too much aceleration it start to slow in acceleration, but if you catch the boost right it pulls so much better than when the foot is nailed to the floor and tubbies almost hitting over 1.4.

I must say though, maybe its just mine but they are built very well as had no problems at all running this boost.

Mind you I am asmost hoping they give up the ghost so it forces my lazy ass to upgrade as I keep saying I will but never get around to it - Typical!

Yeah, like I said, they have been boosting at that for ages. But as mentioned I think the extra heat/boost does effect the power.

1.2 ish BAR is probably the peak performance on them. I only notice it when I put the foot down, but if I stay at about 1.2 it seems to pull better. Get the feeling of bogging down at the 1.4ish mark.

Mine made estimated 429fwhp (around 360rwhp) on stock J-spec turbos at 1.25bar. So 435hp may be possible.

With following mods:

Stock turbos running in parallel

Brand new short block

Rebuilt/flowed head by CW

HKS 256/264 cams

Stock 440cc injectors (with FPR upping the fuel pressure).

Emanage

Exhaust, blah, blah

As a comparison on the same dyno with the GT35R it made 542fwhp.

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/9441/dynozp8.jpg

Wayney me ol'son sorry to hear your turbos have blown. I didnt realise thats why you was asking for advice the other evening. Like i said there is no RIGHT answer in the question 'hybrids vs singles'. Its all down to personal opnion and preferance.

In your case a young entrepreneur with plenty of cash id say go down the big single route. As you have mentioned before you trail along with friends who own Pagini Zonders and Ferrari f50's so its best you fork out some of your loose change on a good street single turbo kit.

Hybrids and stock turbos will limit you in your BHP figures since most use the stock manifold which also increase EGT's etc... (correct me if i am wrong)

Why not go down the big single route? Make sure you fork out on a good fuel set up and good supporting mod's i.e uprated intercooler, clutch and maybe some uprated internals.

There are lots of examples to follow on the board... Plenty of members have gone single, some have faced problems others have since been ok.

Id say take the plunge...Who knows you could be our next 'Jamiep'. ;)

:D

Mine made estimated 429fwhp (around 360rwhp) on stock J-spec turbos at 1.25bar. So 435hp may be possible.

With following mods:

Stock turbos running in parallel

Brand new short block

Rebuilt/flowed head by CW

HKS 256/264 cams

Stock 440cc injectors (with FPR upping the fuel pressure).

Emanage

Exhaust, blah, blah

As a comparison on the same dyno with the GT35R it made 542fwhp.

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/9441/dynozp8.jpg

thanks for for that nic needed some back up as i cant see chris making the dyno faster for people as it does not affect him at all he still gets payed for the work!!!

I have had first hand experience with hybrids, with Supratoys old car, running 550's and apexi power fc,

Cost a lot of money well over 3k, and he was never happy with it,

Raced him with his J-Specs...550's, beat me by two car lengths everytime,

Raced him with hybrids, I beat him with a car length everytime

And I beat him on the same rolling road by 0.5bhp;)

thats not to say hybrids are completely sh*te and a waste of time! Their just...well a waste of time;)

Got to agree and I was at the same RR day. I don't think Vinny was running them at their boost limit though was he?

IMO decent hybrids (not all hybrids are created equal) are only better from the point of view of longevity at higher boost figures. Not worth the money.

Cheers,

Brian.

• 5 weeks later...
i started of stock, "well except a body kit" i then went bpu, then from advice went hybrids, if i could go back and start again, i would not muck about with hybrids, as i had so many problems with air leaks (or pipes blowing off) i have now gone single and wish i had at the begining, but saying thati still have problems but not for long, (hopefully):D

As you stated you had alot of problems with your installation. Who done it for you? Also were they all rectified?