The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Turbo Nightmares!!

Wayney

Great thread - lol at JohnA :)

Wayne, being single is fantastic, its great fun.... only trouble is the car is NEVER right and never finished.

If you going to go single save until you can do everything at once and i mean everything.

Be prepared for some serious highs and some serious lows :(

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread - lol at JohnA :)

Wayne, being single is fantastic, its great fun.... only trouble is the car is NEVER right and never finished.

If you going to go single save until you can do everything at once and i mean everything.

Never 'finished' maybe, never 'right'? Hm. I consider mine is 'right' barring the suspension and that's just wear and tear and it should be getting fixed in the next 2 weeks ;)

-Ian

Never 'finished' maybe, never 'right'? Hm. I consider mine is 'right' barring the suspension

-Ian

Isn't yours Red though?

As for the thread, I built all of my parts up gradually as and when good deals came along, I definitely would not have the money to buy everything outright. I am considering once I hit 110-120k miles to upgrade the internals of the engine, but at the cost for everything new I will probably go for a stroker kit and do it with a full kit.

Isn't yours Red though?

As for the thread, I built all of my parts up gradually as and when good deals came along, I definitely would not have the money to buy everything outright. I am considering once I hit 110-120k miles to upgrade the internals of the engine, but at the cost for everything new I will probably go for a stroker kit and do it with a full kit.

Yes, it's red as well. So, so perfect :p

You still not selling it then :nana: :whistle: You know that EMU you are getting will let you raise the rev limit...?

-Ian

Wayne,

I've had my BPU car for nearly 3 years now. I have always looked at the possibility of going single. I have also gone for a ride on some of the single turbo cars on here (e.g. Terry S's old motor and TRD3000GT's).

Me personal advice to you would be to enjoy and get used to your BPU car first as you've bought it fairy recently. I think I have just about mastered driving my car - knowing the limits in the wet e.t.c and that's taken me nearly 40,000 miles of driving! I'm now confident whenever the rear end fishtails and controlling it, it doesn't catch me by suprise if the rear wheels lose traction.

In my opinion most of the single supras are quicker than BPU but not by a great deal. That's why I decided to keep the car BPU - It does the job and does it well.

Cheers,

Ro

So what set up would you go for?

Wot do you think about a T67 Turbo?

I love it!!! Highly recommended :D

I had my car done by a tuner that I trust and though not cheap..again it's a case of getting what you pay for. Had no issues with the car at all and love it to bits now :)

Good thread :)

The 'issues' involved in going single was one of the main reasons I sold my Supra. It was, and still is, hard to know who to trust with your beloved car and a serious wodge of cash.

Had the route to single been easier, I would no doubt have gone down that route, but there is too much misinformation and cowboys about for me to have thrown 'X' thousand pounds at a rapidly depreciating 14 year old car.

My car has now been singled by the new owner, he has the knowledge and facilities needed to do the work himself - I didn't. It seems that most the decent singles on here are done by people who are happy with a spanner, seriously know their stuff and can't be sold down the river by 'tuners' desperate to get the next car though the door.

I don't regret going the big NA route instead of big single :)

Sounds like a great advert ;)

There is no reason why you should encounter failures with engines if you buy supporting parts that do the job. Skimping on things as has been mentioned will just lead to problems in the future.

Ian, fancy doing some track days with me when your suspension is sorted, would be nice to finally see your car in action after all these years of modding. :)

Sounds like a great advert ;)

There is no reason why you should encounter failures with engines if you buy supporting parts that do the job. Skimping on things as has been mentioned will just lead to problems in the future.

Ian, fancy doing some track days with me when your suspension is sorted, would be nice to finally see your car in action after all these years of modding. :)

Ian's usually our quickest member on the handling circuit at TOTB...and he'll be going for that again....

Ian's usually our quickest member on the handling circuit at TOTB...and he'll be going for that again....

Haha only because I'm the only one on there :rlol: Although this year I'm going to hit it with a vengance (don't, just don't...)

Bobbeh - trackdays make my mechanical sympathy bone ache :( Much as I love track driving, I stress so much it's not fun 'cos it's my only car, I :love: it, and it's expensive to run. Plus I don't fancy crashing it - I've got plans to build a locost racer that I don't give a poo about for that job :)

-Ian

...trackdays make my mechanical sympathy bone ache

Should've kept it BPU, then you could thrash it all day long because you're not so close to the tolerances. Most of the time on track, for most of us, massive BHP would be a hindrance rather than a bonus. Hammering down through Paddock at Brands at WOT is awesome with 300ish BPH, but much more would be lunacy...so what's the point?

Should've kept it BPU, then you could thrash it all day long because you're not so close to the tolerances. Most of the time on track, for most of us, massive BHP would be a hindrance rather than a bonus. Hammering down through Paddock at Brands at WOT is awesome with 300ish BPH, but much more would be lunacy...so what's the point?

It's a totaly different story when on the motroway and you come accross a 50k+ Supercar and hit the loud pedal.

If I was to use the Supra all day long on track only then no doubt I would have stayed BPU.

I think it boils down to how you drive and where you drive. For me it's a second car that I use at the weekend, I stretch it's legs down the M6, I would never change back to BPU after going single.

Hammering down through Paddock at Brands at WOT is awesome with 300ish BPH, but much more would be lunacy...so what's the point?

Less weight, better suspension and tyres would make more HP useable. I agree with what you're saying generally though :)

It's a totaly different story when on the motroway and you come accross a 50k+ Supercar and hit the loud pedal.

What's the point of willy-waving on the motorway? Anyone can go fast in a straight line.

Ok so lets go back to what you originally said and wanted to know.

Guys,

After a series of road trips this summer to LeMans & Paris, with a convoy of supercars. I'm tinkering with the prospect of going Single! BPU is great but it'll be nice to give a Lambo and a Ferrari a good spanking once in a while!!

But I am put off by all the problems and countless unreliability you then encounter. All I ever hear, is people ranting on about the problems they have had.

Can any one please shine sum light on this topic!

I'm not after mad power 550 BHP would be fine for me, possible a T67 Turbo (So the car is still street drivable).

Can some one please define a good set up?

Thanks

Wayne :)

You want a REALIABLE BPU Supra not BPU +++++. Lets keep that in mind when you do this cause it is very easy to get carried away spending money and modifying these cars because we are HP hungry. :)

Depending on your power goals and budget, We have built quite a few of BPU and High Horsepower Supra's including our Race car which was the first 9 and 8 Second Supra in the US.

I would say for Money and Power the best way to go would be with this setup, its quality and good money well spent I would say!

BPU (Basic Performance Upgrades) List by Definition

Intake

Downpipe

Spark Plugs

Exhaust

Boost Cut Controller

Boost Controller

Boost Gauge

Basic Parts upgraded using Stock Twin Turbo's

APU (Advanced Performance Upgrades) List;

PHR Stage 1 or 2+ Turbo Kit- Depending on your goals. These 2 kits have been some of the best on the market with the powe that they make and spool times!

Stage 1 or 2 Fuel System- Depending on which Turbo Kit that you go with above. Very Very IMPORTANT that you do this and do it right!!! I cannot stress this enough, as it has became a very big thread on Supraforums. People always cut corners on the fuel system and do something else to try and make up for it. This IS the most important thing on the motor!

Greddy 3row FMIC - Quality, fits well, makes good HP tell about 800-900hp without having to upgrade to the 4row. If you go with the 4row making anything less than around 800hp, YOU WILL LOSE POWER!! I am sure that everyone already knows this.

MAP ECU I or II - Both are very nice units and can support the power up to 800hp easy. We have tuned it with 1000cc injectors and made almost 1000hp. But then again we have Jarrett as our Tuner. :)

Fluidyne or PWR Radiator - When upgrading to a Single Turbo Kit it becomes and issue with cooling depending on where you live, so the best thing would be to just upgrade the Radiator. Cheap and cost effective! You will have to do this at some point so dont let it be the last thing you do.

RPS Clutch - That is if you are a 6 speed, if you are an auto you should be ok, if you want to be on the safe side and spend more cash you can upgrade your transmission with a built BL Transmission!

Also other APU Upgrades are Cam gears, Cams, Pulleys, etc... Then you forget and now you have a race car. :)

Now you know what real BPU is by DEFINITON.

Cheers,

Joe

What's the point of willy-waving on the motorway? Anyone can go fast in a straight line.

So you're having a pop at Ian for not wanting to thrash his car on a track, and just basing that on the fact he has single??! :rolleyes:

Not everyone can take the smile from a Ferrari/Lambo driver and turn it into a frown:)

Going fast round corners isn't for me, especially on our roads.

Hopefully the myth of "you can go single on a Supra for under three grand" has finally been busted. A shame it was through tears and expense of the unsuspecting punters rather than common sense and research.

-Ian

without opening another can of worms i disagree (reservedly) with this, you can build a single for under 3k but you have to know what you are doing, i have worked in maintenance/engineering all my life and started "tinkering" with engines at an early age, however if all you have ever done is change a set of spark plugs forget it, it is not just a case of bolting bits together (anyone can do that) more importantly it is the base knowledge of tools, materials and tecniques that is vital, i feel for people who want to build a decent car but dont have this underpinning knowledge as i learnt very early on with cars most garages are utter crap and thats when i decided i would do everything myself, if you cant do it yourself you are then at the mercy of these idiots and to have a car like a supra prepared properly will then cost ££££££