The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nurburgring

attilauk

You could try our pace notes system. Do a few laps and write down the corners with this system, and your passenger can call them out.

e.g.

corner severity 1 to 5

corner type (if applicable) opens, tightens etc,

distance when needed in yards

crest to corner distance etc

here is an example.

Easy 1 left into immeadiate 3 right - tightens, straight flat 200yrds into 4 right opens, crest 50 yrds, 200yrds 1 right - flat open, 2 left caution - tightens, into 5 right into immeadiate left hairpin etc

you get the idea, you can modify the system to suit your own style takes the mystery out of the track :-)

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Bobbeh, managed a 9m15sec time before the power steering pump overheated and died. I love it here. I have found an excellent workshop ran by a race engineer who can look after your cars when u r here.

TTE - True torque engineering at Hauptstrabe 19 D-53539 Zermullen which is on the B257, follow the signs for Mullenbach its a couple of miles on the left. He can do any wheel alignment work handy if u need to adjust camber to cope etc. He has worked for Porsche, VW etc raced corvettes, you name it.

I would never take a Supra around the ring again without a power steering oil cooler thats for sure, thank God it went as I entered the pits.

I was amazed at how slow the bikes are, they really hold you up on the corners. I was warned about stripped out golfs, 911 and M3, all which were no problem to beat, German reg or not, except the semi race prepared 911 which left me sitting in particular the black and yellow one driven by a fit blonde, I lost sight of it after 2km.

I will be back here, everyone is friendly, craic in the pits was amazing on Sunday, so for race and social this is the place to go. Feel sorry for the local guy in the 966 Turbo who i passed 8 corners before the end and pulled away from on the straight, Marc the motor engineer who is fixing my Supra knows him and is torturing him that he got beat by a UK guy on his first weekend in a Toyota lmao!! I did u fellow Supra owners proud.

People like Supra,s here its like u r exclusive as 911,s are in abundance!

Will write more when i get home. My Thanks to Matt, who sat with me, turned green and looked quite unwell and managed not to throw up on the ring lol.

Good stuff fella :) Please to hear you're 'represenin' :D

9:15 is nice! :D Power steering problems?! Thats weird, I had no probs at all - maybe I wasnt driving fast enough ;)

Know what you mean though, Jap metal is 'rare' out there compares to the countless 911's and M3's you see, the Supra always stands out :)

Maybe next time I wil get a better time now that i know there are markers to show you the turn in and sometimes apex points.

Will never do the ring again with both P.S. and engine oil coolers, as the German supra owners I know think its very dangerous without them anyway its cheap to do !.

By the way the DBA discs and Endless CCX pads I got from Envy performed perfect the whole time.

911's suck, they are like piles, sooner or later every asshole has one around the ring lmao!

When are you going?

The Germans think I am brain dead for going on the ring with no power steering cooler. They refuse to even watch me without it. I suppose for about £100 they are an excellent mod. I left my car there with friends who will fit my cooler, so I'll go back for more either this weekend or next.

I did see a few of the stripped out and caged porkers on race rubber, man they are quick, but if you did the same with a Supra the German engineers reckon it would be better so for next year they are intending to make a race Supra to compete and win.

90% of bikers are an obstical on the ring for fast car drivers :-)

How were you going round, lap after lap after lap? Or did you take breaks? Like I said previous, I had no issues at all m8 but I did rest the car after each lap pretty much.

Why is the power steering going to get pressured more than any other driving? General engine bay heat? I thought the slower you went having to move larger wheels would cause it more stress.

Yeah, the previous lap record holder for a few years was that Blitz Supra which did it in 7:21, so just point them in that direction :)

Bob its all down to heat, high engine RPM, loads of steering and the small capacity of the system. When I came in and mine started to pack up I checked the temp with my snap on infrared device which told me it was at 144 degrees, any wonder it failed!. I had no issues either then all of a sudden it stopped! after which it was almost impossible to turn a left hand bend, so if it goes, its a trailer job.

Toyota Europe have bugger all steering parts in stock and all has to come from Japan at the moment so you dont want to go looking. Actually they quote you 2 days from Brussels and then when you enquire on the 2nd day they tell you a different story and its a week from Japan. Phone then and complain to Toyota Germany and the guy admits that its a lame setup. Toyota Europe are going to get some ear bashing from me next week, I did them proud on the ring and they messed me about.

There is a local Toyota dealer to the ring, who's door i shall not darken again, IMO they really know how to try and take advantage of a tourist. Fortunately i clicked on to this before they got too far into me.

I did single laps and then at the end I did a double without having to que, then the pumps internal plastic bits melted, and also the seals in the rack. AFAIAC it could happen to any fast moving Supra.

Saw what i think was the new Supra testing, pushing a Viper up there straight. After my experience with Toyota this week I am sorry i didn't let all the tyres down with a valve lifter.

Cool, pic, I know that corner (I think), thats the bend just before the 2nd kaurrsell? :)

I'll keep an eye on things, I still think a good rest before runs is a must unless like you say additional coolers are installed :) Thanks for explaining the situation though.

Also, having said that, you're running BPU and Im not which probably didnt help your temps. What was your engine temp gauge like after your runs?

Engine temp looked the usual, maybe 2mm up but thats about it. As the pump is belt driven and the RPM's are high and your steering everything but straight most of the time I suppose its risky. I would never drive another Supra around the track without a rad on the PAS. The local German engineers advise this also.

Might see you there next weekend, you never know :-)

Well only if Michel Lane takes his. Hes not going with our group, he said somehting about meeting us down there, so I dunno. AJI is going with 400+ bhp and some tuned RX7's are also coming.

If you want to race something quick, how about my m8's 1000-1200 cc bikes :D

Big bikes are too dangerous if he drops it in front of you, i dont fancy going over the top of him. I have seen so much bike carnage on Sunday, about 15 in the ditch and thats just what I saw, I steer well clear of bikes, personally i'd ban them from the ring but thats just my opinion.