The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Has driving another car totally spoilt the Supra for you?

RedM

Im lucky because i'd driven lots of fun cars before I bought the soop so went into ownership with eyes wide open.

Loved the Supra from the first moment my arse hit the leather and the key turned...

Having said that I was almost tempted by;

Lotus Exige (awesome responsive handling)

Caterham 1800 (raw enjoyment)

TVR Tuscan & T350C (both incredible and so much torque!)

If I had a massive private track and I could only have one of the above it would probably be the Caterham. If I had to buy a car to be seen in it would be a Tuscan.

As far as being tempted away from the soop... not yet! :cool:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an n/a owner I dream of having a sinlgr turbo manual conversion aerotop in black!

Even if I won the lottery (rollover) i'd still get one first!

For me, the above with tp secret bodykit and trd spoiler and new interior would be a dream.

Its the best lookind car out there when modded properly.

I'd send it to Envy with a wad of cash and ask Gaz to put the best on it!!

I think Bolarbag is on to something regarding the autobox. If someone dumped all the parts for a manual conversion on my doorstep FOC I'd have the conversion done tomorow, and I suspect I'm not the only one put off by the cost of the conversion either.

I have been using MANU mode more lately, but it still isn't quite the same is it.

You're having a laugh. The speed with which the autobox changes in manu mode is just remarkable. I love it. The only downside to the autobox is launching and lighting up the wheels in general, IMO.

You're having a laugh. The speed with which the autobox changes in manu mode is just remarkable. I love it. The only downside to the autobox is launching and lighting up the wheels in general, IMO.

I know it sounds crazy, but after discovering 1st gear recently, I am totally addicted to the initial pulling power. I was launching in 2nd before then, and missed out on the rush! My girlfriend doesn't like it at all! :D

I know the auto MANU has fewer gears, but selecting them is never a problem, its instant and without any selection errors. I wonder how many manual users have selected the wrong gear and potentially messed up a chase?

The handling is not a problem now either ;)

I know it sounds crazy, but after discovering 1st gear recently, I am totally addicted to the initial pulling power. I was launching in 2nd before then

How did you manage that? The only way to launch in 2nd is to have MANU-on with the stick in 2 or D. Is that what you were doing? :)

Na just using it in normal auto mode, and moving the gear stick into 2nd. It then launches from '1st' then virtually straight into 2nd, so I didn't really get to feel the full force of 1st. Anyway, after a year of ownership, its an absolute delight!

Back on topic, I think the idea of a supercharged V8 Supra would be the pups nuts! A bit thirsty though, I'd thought.

It was everything the Supra isn't. It was responsive, handled like it was on rails, it didn't rattle and sounded amazing.

Quite suprised by that comment. I would never have said the supra handled badly, rattled or didn't sound amazing!

Not that I've driven a 911 and I'm sure it's loads different- but then it's new!!!

...and that you've got 4 long gears instead of six closer spaced ones. The accleration when you get into top drops significantly. I remember being matched up to an E39 M5 a few years ago, more or less even to 135mph, then my car went into OD and the M5 walked away. I can light up the rears and do huge arcing drifts (and nearly killed us and the 993 Turbo S I was racing once) and yes the standing starts are dog shit awful imo.

I must say firstly that i am more contented with my Supra than near any car i've owned previously, if i could change anything it would be a blown V8 under the hood. As for Porkers i've always been a fan of the 911, & its still the one to have for me, i absoloutely love the camaro, the dodge aint bad either.

I'd send it to Envy with a wad of cash and ask Gaz to put the best on it!!

:)

I'd love someone here to write a blank cheque and ask us to create the ultimate road going Supra.

I reckon with the right bits, tuning, and chassis mods/setup you'd easily be able to skin the arses off one of those metal race Porches/Vipers round the 'Ring and till be able to drive it there and back. :D

Gaz.

I'd love someone here to write a blank cheque and ask us to create the ultimate road going Supra.

I reckon with the right bits, tuning, and chassis mods/setup you'd easily be able to skin the arses off one of those metal race Porches/Vipers round the 'Ring and till be able to drive it there and back. :D

Gaz.

Ok so theres a Vette C6 for £40k...say i bought a Supra for say £10k or less and spend £30k on mods, what kind of machine would i end up with, how many disputes with companies along the way lol but more importantly how reliable and could it be used as an everyday car...I bet £30k could creat quite a nice Supra! Lots have spent far more than that I know

Guest nexus

There was a tt supra on ebay a few weeks ago nearly all the shell was carbon fibre looked very nice not sure what power it was think it went for around 17k a very nice car, i used to have a auto n/a 2 years ago loved the car just needed more power for my liking but for all the ones that seem to be getting sick of their car ill be after a tt in a few months lol

Gaz.

That doesn't really mean the Supra is particularly special though does it? There are many cars I could pick up for £10K and with a blank cheque they could all be turned into something special.

Isn't that the big power one they build on video? This road race car is fast, very fast!

Wow thats a monster. The man can drive too. The car was clearly better on the brakes and corners than the two big power cars and at least strong enough to hold its own down the straights. Is that

still a 2JZ in there?? Made me laugh a little how all three of those cars made the other machines look like they weren't even trying :D

Guest Skidracer

Strangely, the cars that spoils my supra, is two other Toyota's. First, my mates corolla gt ae82, and second my very tired MK1 MR2, series1, that I bought a while before the supra. It's totally standard. It's even got the original wheels. But it's just so much more fun. Its just the way it drives, with such a mentalist attitude. I keep throwing it into corners while sliding, and it never puts a foot wrong. That's just something you can't do in the supra. Other than that, it must be said; I really can't see myself ever selling the supra. As a high speed cruiser, I have never driven anything that beats it.

Edit: By the way, the supe is the best daily driver I've ever had!

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the thread ressurection!

One day someone will drop an ali big block V8 Chevy in a Supra and those that get to ride in it will desperately want one.

Where would one of these be found? Are these in the newer Corvettes?

How much would one be looking at for a swap? I'm also wondering if engines could be salvaged from the US (exchange rate and all).

Anyhow, just asking and curious.;)

Apologies for the thread ressurection!

How much would one be looking at for a swap? I'm also wondering if engines could be salvaged from the US (exchange rate and all).

Anyhow, just asking and curious.;)

Theres quite a few people dropping the chevy lumps into RX7s now:)http://www.grannysspeedshop.com/

The one I've resisting spending any time in is a Ferrari 355 or 360 as that might see the end to Supra ownership :D It’s not so much the performance (they’re only a bit quicker than BPU), but the thrill of driving them is something else.

mmmm 360. Despite what my brother keeps telling me ("they aren't that good... blah blah blah"), I would really love to have a Ferrari 360. I think they are a great looking car and sound amazing.

Corvettes haven't had a big block V8 since 1974

The aluminium small block LS series have been in Corvettes since the C5 came out in 1997.

It has gradually got bigger, from 5.7 (LS1) to 6.2 (LS3) for the 2008 non Z06 Corvette. The latest Z06 has the 7.0 LS7.

There is a 6-700bhp supercharged version due in 2009 (LS9), in a super fast Corvette called the Blue Devil or SS depending where you look :drool: