The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Saw a Supra today and am puzzled

imi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the discussion in this thread, I think we all have learnt a valuable lesson and by there is nothing to gain by posting some cars Registration number on a public forum would do anyone any good.

He is a private seller (who I believe wasnt in the know) and not a dealer, had it been a dodgy dealer doing this intentionally, then perhaps I would have named and shamed them (provided this forum allowed me to).

My search continues :gallery:

Here, I've heard that about half the VIN plates of 6 speeders have the gearbox as auto, although I heard this aaaaaages ago before I knew anything about them - is this a big load of old Internet or is there something to it? Has anyone else got an autobox code instead of a manual? I've got V160 :thumbs:

-Ian

Originally posted by Supragal

Interesting. It would be good to see how accurate that info on the nz site is- where did they get it from? for example.

well i've looked at my fair share of cars (not many 6-speed TT's though TBH) and the first thing i do is create an expected chassis plate from the advert to check with the owner/car. To date they've allways matched, even the chassis number/age bands.....

saying this the manual / auto ref being different could mean just a conversion, its the aerotop ref that rings the major alarm bells here.......

Exactly scooter....not only is the Car NOT an AUTO, it sure aint an AEROTOP..

BTW: I checked this against the nz site....and more importantly against the SUPRA TECHNICAL Manual...

I also called TOYOTA themselves and spoke to a chap from the IMPORTS department...he confirmed my finidings...

so while I deserve a pat on my back for being accurate.....I am really dissappointed that the car was ideal bar from the plate..

WHY ME????

Originally posted by imi

so while I deserve a pat on my back for being accurate.....I am really dissappointed that the car was ideal bar from the plate..

WHY ME????

I don't know the circumstances of the previous owner etc, but the funny (annoying?!) thing is that the guy obviously wasn't as clued up as you are now, and yet has enjoyed it and probably had no massive problems with the car and in all honesty you probably wouldn't either.

However there is a risk of you losing the car / money etc and that is after all, why you bothered to look up/verify the chassis plate details in the first place.

Resume your search you will find another:)

Was Peter right? Is there another place to check this number under the trim or something somewhere?

The chassis number? It's at the rear of the engine, stamped into the bulkhead, at the top, just under the rear edge of the bonnet. It shoud be fairly obvious if it's has a new chassis number welded in or if it's been covered over.

Of course it's in upper case, starting with JZA80-

I can take a pic if anyone is in any doubt

• 5 weeks later...

BTW: the supra that I brought to your attention has now been sold. I also found out who the importers allegedly were and they are a "well respected" importer on this forum.

I told the garage (that converts the car once they come into the UK) about this incident and he goes:

"yes, a lady called me the other day about such a car and was giving me a verbal bollocking over the phone"

He then tried to explain to me that the car was kosher...

When I told him that the model number was of a 4 sp AUTO AEROTOP, he said that it could have been converted to a Manual TIN TOP :baa:

Only when I told him that the chassis number was missing a number and that TOYOTA had no record of that, did he then look puzzled.

I have now seen a second one on the web.

1996, N, 6 sp man. looks ace.

However, I checked out its VIN plate no and it was manufactured in Oct 1994.

I offered the guy 14K thinking that it was a 1996, but now that it is a 1994, 14K is a bit too high.

sometimes ignorance is bliss......:angry:

Was Peter right? Is there another place to check this number under the trim or something somewhere?

I think there has to be legally. Or maybe that's just a UK thing?

Certainly my kitcar needed it for SVA approval.

It's designed to stop people simply changing the plate as it should be stamped somewhere else on the chassis.

Another way this is to check engine numbers - Toyota will know every engine which went into what car. (Unless it's been swapped of course... and we all know the Japs have a tendancy for this kind of thing due to emissions law)

Pete

Originally posted by imi

I have now seen a second one on the web.

1996, N, 6 sp man. looks ace.

However, I checked out its VIN plate no and it was manufactured in Oct 1994.

I offered the guy 14K thinking that it was a 1996, but now that it is a 1994, 14K is a bit too high.

sometimes ignorance is bliss......:angry:

That one should be easy to spot, if it was a 96 car it will be a facelift, 94 would be a non-facelift. Most obvious difference would be the 5 dial dash (in grey) on the facelift, plus the side repeaters in the front bumper not the wing.

Originally posted by baojun

I used to have an import Mugen Integra Tyre_R, manual, 2door.

BUt the V5 was saying 4 door with automatic.

I have imported the car personally and I know DVLA has made a mistake.

Yes, but the issue here was that the ID plate on the car had a model code that was wrong, not the V5 document. When my car was registered the dealer got the VIN no. wrong by one digit. I had to write to the DVLA to correct it, which they did without any real evidence, so the V5 can be wrong, but the chassis plate should be correct.