The mkiv Supra Owners Club

First impression PHR stage 3

JamieP

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that Jamie, try the 4088R, am I right in thinking you'd have less trouble running antilag on one of them due to them being DBB?

Ive been in a gt4088r a few times and over lapped the dyno graphs with mine, the extra cost dont really warrent the effort imo but as i have all the water pipes now i may go that way, as i said ive not given up on this one yet.;)

Sorry to hear you are having stress matey, but it's an interesting read. I'm inches away from ordering up a 4088 dbb for myself, but now I need to know how you guys get on with the .96 housing over the 81.. I'll be keeping a look out!

The vids and stats jamie has posted so far look very impressive for this tubby.

I think we all owe Jamie a big debt of gratitude, spending all his hard earned cash and finding all the best bits for us to invest in!

Jamie , running a larger turbo like the 72mm trim version is totally different to your gt4088, because its the physical size , remember the gt4088 is only a 64mm turbo , you will get more lag with the 72mm turbo's . These turbo's will have more grunt top end then the gt4088 , yes i have been thinking about changing down aswell , but trying to look at a happy medium. A 67mm turbo seems the better way forward, but i like the motorway pulls rather then racing around the streets . Iam changing to a 71gtsdbb , this is supposed to spool just like a 67mm turbo , but pulls much harder at the top end.

If that fails i have a gt4088 on standby :-))

Yea i understand this is will be more laggy and i could live with that if it had the top end power but at the same boost as the gt4088 its down on power, there must be something wrong with this turbo and ill be taking it back to the seller first chance i get.

Jamie , running a larger turbo like the 72mm trim version is totally different to your gt4088, because its the physical size , remember the gt4088 is only a 64mm turbo , you will get more lag with the 72mm turbo's .

Michel.. do mean the turbine diameter? the 4088R is 77mm, no?;

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT40/GT4088R.htm

Can't believe that the PHR 3 isn't performing very well mate, seems odd :confused:

Indeed if it's got all its blades (which I assume Jamie has checked) there's not a lot more to it.

I'd suspect the map hasn't been optimised for it yet.

Indeed if it's got all its blades (which I assume Jamie has checked) there's not a lot more to it.

I'd suspect the map hasn't been optimised for it yet.

Compressor blades are fine, hotside look fine but without pulling the cartridge apart i cant say for for sure, What i cant get my head round is how the gt4088 looks bigger spools MUCH faster and is 90bhp up on this at 1.2bar, the new 1.2bar map is just fine.

Im not wasteing time and money mapping this any further.

Arnt you only going to see a real big difference in performance to run higher boost on a larger turbo like this?

No, at the same boost the bigger turbo should make more power, 0.2 bar (would normally run 1.4bar on the street) aint gonna make that much difference imo 50-70bhp

I think it would be helpful if Paul posted his results with the turbo as it does seem down on what it should be producing.

Correct that a larger turbo will flow more air at the same pressure but I imagine at 1bar this thing is just starting to spin up.

Correct that a larger turbo will flow more air at the same pressure but I imagine at 1bar this thing is just starting to spin up.

This is what I was getting at, its not as close to its optimum as a smaller turbo would be. I dunno :innocent: I'm sure Paul can set things straight with you :)