The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra and personal debt - what's your story?!

Sheefa

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny this thread has cropped up, as I got all my paperwork together last Friday and worked out some costs (car cost, service charges, parts and insurance)... wouldn't even like to think about petrol costs...

NA Supra (5 years ownership) = 290k

TT Supra (1.5 years) = 190k

:scared:

Lucky that is HK dollars :blink:

Just got a mortgage and a loan for the car which will be payed off this year. Hate being in debt. i have credit cards but have never used the. Other half has one but is always payed asap. Also brought my house last year and have never had it so good. But i do work hard and will be working twice as hard as theres so many bits for the supe i want when the loans gone. Oh she wants an evo too :(

Funny this thread has cropped up, as I got all my paperwork together last Friday and worked out some costs (car cost, service charges, parts and insurance)... wouldn't even like to think about petrol costs...

NA Supra (5 years ownership) = 290k

TT Supra (1.5 years) = 190k

:scared:

Lucky that is HK dollars :blink:

Thanks for qualifying that, just! How many HK dollars are there to a pound sterling then?

Our 'cheap' wedding is costing £7k as well. D'OH!

:blink: Would hate to have to go through the expense of a "proper" wedding again (mine was 27 years ago).

Did my daughters recently, the trouble is that everybody's got you over a barrel, flowers, cake, dress, venue hire, reception hire, food, drink etc etc etc.....

The trouble is that it means sooo much to the bride, if you try to "haggle" you just like a) you are just tight or b) worse - you don't love them enough. :(

Best just to grin and bare it !

On the car, we are very lucky as we own a business and the car is a "company car" and so a chunk of the fuel / expenses etc. go through the business.

On mortgages, the figures sound high now, but the years soon roll by and it gets cheaper to cope with the payments.

Our first mortgage nearly bankruped us as it was for almost £12K :blink:

Gotta laugh now.........

G

Some of the people on here must earn loads then is all I can say. Either that or you've got no mortgage (when I say no mortgage, I mean those that have a mortgage that costs less than £500 a month!).

Bloke at work who I'm training, earn just more than me AFAIK, said there's no way he could live if his mortgage was the same as mine (£830/month), his is about £200!

//edit: Good point G, hopefully ours will seem small in 15-20 years!

Thanks for qualifying that, just! How many HK dollars are there to a pound sterling then?

At todays exchange rate HK$480,000 = GBP30,812.71

but a couple of years ago, when I was at my peak buying parts time, HK$480k was about GBP40k...

A lot more than I thought but not one penny regretted ;)

However thinking about the petrol over 5 years @ HK$800 a week, that is an additional HK$208k = GBP17k...

:cry:

50K OMG! I can’t believe how much some people spend on their cars.

I've still owe loads on my student loan. Have a mortgage but don’t really class that as debt more as a savings account. Other than that no debt but finding it hard to save anything at the moment due to the large expense of home improvements.

My mortgage payment is £550 a month.

Well I'm not as badly off as you but paying for everything on the Supe twice means I have credit cards. In fact I was looking at this yesterday, it is definately going to have to be sold or I will never clear it and I'm fed up with having no spare money each month.

Guest mk47

I always wondered how come some of the youngsters on here could afford to modify their cars so much. Now I know - you can't!!

Can! just manage money properly :) I have no major debts apart from a few hundred £. Dont use any CCs and only spend what i can.

Guest Nicholas

Interesting reading this, I recently worked out that I earnt over 90k last year and yet have very little savings.

My major spending worked out like this: -

Bought my first house = £21,000.00 deposit

Started a business = £20,000.00 start-up costs

Bought my supra = £16,500

The rest was spent on rent in London and enjoying life... must learn to stay in more :blink: I think once I get the new turbo on my car and the bodywork done I'll take a break and keep her as is for a year or two.

Well I'm not as badly off as you but paying for everything on the Supe twice means I have credit cards. In fact I was looking at this yesterday, it is definately going to have to be sold or I will never clear it and I'm fed up with having no spare money each month.

Hi Rosie....

What's the latest on "The Car" ????

Ready for the JAE ? would be great if it was.

Cheers

G

Well bugger this, it's time for a serious bank job. Check out the next edition of Crimewatch UK. I'll be ram-raiding a bookies with my Supra, and then a securicor van and then a bank. That should hopefully be enough!

I'm going to ignore the student loan for now. If I concentrate on clearing the 'real' debt then I'll be OK. Sell car and clear £8k tops say, and paying off another £300 a month means I'll be clear in 20 months. Not 'too' bad. :)

Bloody hell Nick - £90k! That's a nice salary for your own business mate. What do you do again, own your personal clothing company or something?

EDIT: It's in your sig so ignore me!

If anyone fancies going into business with me, I'm up for it. I'm a level headed guy and very cautious with my money too.

This won't help Greg but at 32 I am completely debt and mortgage free. I have never been comfortable borrowing money for anything!!:(

It seems the younger generation want things fast and don't seem to care if it damages their long term financial stability. I want to retire in 25 years time if not before. A Villa in Portugal and a nice car would be nice too!!

I was 32 before I had a nice car aswell and spent most of my 20's skint because of the CSA and a huge mortgage. Now I look back and think it was the best thing that could have happened to me!! Weird......:blink:

H.

Guest Phillw454
What debts? Car bought for cash, no outstanding CC bills - I just don't spend more than I earn.

I always wondered how come some of the youngsters on here could afford to modify their cars so much. Now I know - you can't!!

Wouldnt say that, im 20 and can afford to pay rediculous insurance, mod and run my supra with no help from anyone.

Guest Nicholas
Bloody hell Nick - £90k! That's a nice salary for your own business mate. What do you do again, own your personal clothing company or something?

EDIT: It's in your sig so ignore me!

If anyone fancies going into business with me, I'm up for it. I'm a level headed guy and very cautious with my money too.

lol it is a lot but living costs down here are really high matey, the majority of that was from my full time job as the business only started last year :)

If I was you Greg I'd put a grand or two into premium bonds you never know when that mill will come up :D

You can't count mortgages as debt really as they're kind of perpetual and necessary.

Leaving uni I'd racked up £6k debt on cars and living. After that I bought another car so that took me to £12k. Since then until I was 30 I'd always kind of hovered around being £10k in debt.

Feb 08 should see me completely clear of debt for the first time since being 18 (mortgage excepted).

I can't wait as I'll be £600/month better off! :nana:

I'll enjoy that for 6 months or so I reckon then it'll be time to move house and spend it all on a fatter mortgage. :(

Good work Havard and Pete - some great stories there and looks like you've got things well under control too.

That's it for me. I'm only 24, well can't really say 'only' anymore, and I really want to get things in check now for the future.

You're right Havard, the culture today has completely changed and people aren't normally prepared to save for years for something they want. That's it - no more debt from me!

debt can be used to your advantage, so long as you can manage your finances and dont go overboard. What I forgot to mention in the first thread is that I also have 2 other houses in South Africa which are at about 50% mortgage to equity, being rented out.

First comes the house here, which will need to be modernised. Then move to contract work and hopefully start paying off the mortgage faster.

I must admit though, you were very unlucky with the car that you bought, at least I knew I was buying something with problems, you didnt, and paid the full price for it. Its unfortunate, but thats how it happens sometimes... Best of luck getting it sorted.

BTW what do you do?

Well bugger this, it's time for a serious bank job. Check out the next edition of Crimewatch UK. I'll be ram-raiding a bookies with my Supra, and then a securicor van and then a bank. That should hopefully be enough!

)

The problems you've had with your Supe, you'd have to hire a tow truck to help you ram raid the bookies!!

If I was you Greg I'd put a grand or two into premium bonds you never know when that mill will come up :D

If its anything like the Premium Bonds that I run for the 11 of us investing at work, then £1,800 in over a year's savings hasn't earnt us a sausage in winnings yet! So much for the comparable to building society interest rates ay?!

We used to have a lottery syndicate here too, but as we never won we thought we'd wise up and invest in Premium Bonds. That's no good either. At least the initial investments are still there.

Guest Nicholas
If its anything like the Premium Bonds that I run for the 11 of us investing at work, then £1,800 in over a year's savings hasn't earnt us a sausage in winnings yet! So much for the comparable to building society interest rates ay?!

Perhaps not when you calculate it year by year but there's always the chance that you might win a one off 5k, 10k or a mill.

I've had a quite a few £50 winnings in premium bonds so often invest more in them.