The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Variable Geometry Turbo Technology for the Supra?

Gaz6002

You don't see Porsche kicking out 600bhp+ from 3 litres either but that doesn't stop enthusiasts from doing it.

Reliability and maintenance are viewed very differently OEM vs aftermarket. I could probably live with a turbo stripdown every 10,000miles as I don't do that many in a year in the Supra. Those turbos on the Porsche would have to function perfectly after xxx,000 miles. Depends on the usage of the car as to what is viewed as acceptable.

• 8 years later...

been trying to find ones to buy off the shelf from the various makes of these , there is a supra with a HE351VE but that info is on suprforums and i cant go on it at work to find out more information ,

question

why is it so hard to find these types of turbos to buy when we all know they are made ?

been trying to find ones to buy off the shelf from the various makes of these , there is a supra with a HE351VE but that info is on suprforums and i cant go on it at work to find out more information ,

question

why is it so hard to find these types of turbos to buy when we all know they are made ?

If you Read Ryan G build thread for the V8 I am pretty sure he had trouble with the turbos boosting due to the requirements in back pressure, they are not a simple design therefore I think they need a certain type of set up. But then again I might be chatting utter rubbish

Just unnecessary added cost and complication IMO. Match a modern billet wheel turbo to your needs and it will be perfectly responsive. Some of the little DBB turbos now made can be a little too responsive! :D

:yeahthat: sounds like a lot more bits that can go wrong, I am all for keeping it simple :D

Just unnecessary added cost and complication IMO. Match a modern billet wheel turbo to your needs and it will be perfectly responsive. Some of the little DBB turbos now made can be a little too responsive! :D

true

I did find a video compairing a precision 6266 vs 84 efr and there was only 70 rpm differenec in spool

Porsche have had a lot of warranty issues with thi VNT turbos, all apparently heat related. They work well on hard driven diesels with their MUCH lower EGT's. But drive a VNT diesel around town all the time and the variable vane mechanism carbons up and seizes...

Ryan.s issue was the turbo turbine exit area was far too small even with the vanes fully open. Made huge low end boost, but uncontrollable once the engine started giving a lot of exhaust gas flow, huge back pressure generated. All from memory. basically the turbos had too small an exhaust housing for the application. High CR turbo petrol engines with direct injection, and modern turbos with the exhaust housing cast into the manifold mean VNT technology is not so special. You can get near zero lag. What the VNT will do is perhaps maximise efficiency across a broad RPM range, I am sure metallurgy will allow this soon. The gains in road car turbo technology from F1 running turbos doesn't seemed to have materialised, sadly. They seem more into remote drive of the compressor for aero packaging reasons.