The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jamie's Demo of GT4088 Turbo from T88

Jonty

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the gt4088 is $899 and the gt4088r is $1899. What is the effective difference? Is it that is spools slightly quicker? $1000 for a few 100 rpms quicker spool doesnt add up for me. Looking at the 2 fact sheets for the turbos, they seem to generate the same power. Im probably missing the point but once again, forgive my ignorance on this.

Anti surge hype??? no it does as it would surgest, it both aids spool and stops turbo surge look up turbo surge on google or something similar.

the gt4088 is bigger than the 4067 and also it does have a better inturnal organs as such lighter blades and i think a different amount of blade and does allow it to produce more power and have better spool than the 4067.

I have the gt4088R and have the garratt version very good turbo not much difference from the gt4088 to the R version only the R has anti surge and dbb alot of money more and no more power just spool circa 300 rpm sooner. Does that make it worth the extra?? you deside.

To answer the question on the ar sizes yes the bigger you go the higher the boost threshold will be but more power can be made, big ar's and trim on exhaust side will = high top end or top rev power and visa versa.

Hope you get my points if not feel free to pm me for anymore info :cool:

On the GT4088R the 40 means it is a GT40 turbine wheel which is 77mm and 73 trim all of the GT40 turbine wheels have these specs, now the 88 means that the EXDUCER is 88mm 54 trim and Inducer is 64.7mm and the compressor housing is .72 A/R

On the Precision GT4067R we got a kicker but still the same on the GT40 portion which pertains to the turbine wheel again 77mm and 73 trim all of the GT40 turbine wheels have these specs. Here is the kicker the 67 means this turbo has a 67mm Inducer and 84.07mm Exducer

So the 4067 is smaller on the exducer and larger on the inducer.

a few things worth noting

-the larger 67mm wheel does not necessarily move more air than the 64mm 4088 wheel

-gt40 turbine wheels are cut down gt42 wheels

-turbine a/r size has a HUGE amount to do with the turbos performance (often overlooked)

-divided inlet turbos (most of these) have a downside.

The 4088 wheel has 14 "scoops" and the 67wheel has 12 "scoops" the 4088 scoops more air, but it will warm it up faster because it grabs more.

divided inlet turbos have half the volume for the same size pulse. they make the flow non-steady state and as a result, the turbine sees pulses. This is definitely not ideal IMO. back pressure problems are pretty much bound to happen with this setup. Spool up is better at the expense of top end flow.

ported shroud compressor housings do move the surge line, at the expense of pulling more vacuum on the compressor wheel. The ported shroud increases the available air at choke flow. it essentially makes the inducer "virtually" bigger

Anti surge is for turbo's that arn't a good match to your engine.

That's my understanding of it as well. One wonders if this turbo would actually surge if it didn't have said housing. Possibly not in which case it's a "shiny thing" that does nothing but costs money. Hmmm.

Still, sounds like it delivers the goods. What gear are you in to hit 0.9bar at 3100rpm? I bet it's not 1st ;)

-Ian

Great to see all the info and comments - choices choices!:D

The GT4088R I have ordered has both oil lube and water cooling. Oil acts as lubricant and water cools. Some people concerned about overheating water system. However according to Precision the water flows very quickly through the turbo housing and it not super heated etc. Will need to plumb in carefully to get optimal flow etc so it all works. Expecting near similar to Jamie performance as mine is built egine without manifold etc. Exhaust choice is my current challenge in getting the right one???? If my install delivers 75% of Jamie's results I'll be very happy. Be interesting to see how it all works together. Will keep you updated Br Jonty - I was condtioned to big turbo mentality - however for Superb Street use this set up is tops and delivers in spades. We will have 2 test ride cars available shortly.

What gear are you in to hit 0.9bar at 3100rpm? I bet it's not 1st ;)

-Ian

Lol, the best gear for making the turbo spool early, 6th;)

Ill get some datalogs from Dan if i can.

Ive got a boost leak at the min,1.4 dropping to 1.1 which has effected the spool slightly, im gonna investegate that on saturday.

The GT4088R I have ordered has both oil lube and water cooling. Oil acts as lubricant and water cools. Some people concerned about overheating water system. However according to Precision the water flows very quickly through the turbo housing and it not super heated etc. Will need to plumb in carefully to get optimal flow etc so it all works.

It doesn't overheat provided its plumbed in correctly ;) James Turner had some issues with his but that was due to the pipework being wrong.

divided inlet turbos have half the volume for the same size pulse. they make the flow non-steady state and as a result, the turbine sees pulses. This is definitely not ideal IMO. back pressure problems are pretty much bound to happen with this setup. Spool up is better at the expense of top end flow.

Divded housing are supposed to increase spool utilising the different pulses from the cylinders. For this to work most effeciently they should be matched to a divided manifold which optimises the exhaust pulses.

My motor uses a non DBB divided housing and my spool is pretty good.