Supra Vs EVO MR FQ400

Suprash

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

when i had an FQ300 it pulled away from a couple of BPU supras off here during high speed runs.

now i have an XT400 and to be honest you would have to have alot of power in a supra to keep up at low speed or high speed due to weight, mine has been off the clock (dont know how acurate the evo clocks are)

it pulls hard to 140 then after 160 it does strugle a bit.

reliability really has to go to the supra though. my last supra had 60k miles of solid abuse and the only thing to go was the head gasket, lets just say the evo has cost ALOT more to keep it going !!

Whats the XT all about Liam??

TBH i didn't find my evo quick at all. It only had a few mods and was pushing just over 300bhp. Being an EVO V and a damn site lighter than the FQ's i really can't see a 300 pulling away from a standard supra over 80mph let alone a bpu one. Quarter mile times will prove this for a start. They are SHOCKING.

One of the guys on here was doing a power run and ran into a 320 evo on the motorway. He said he seen it for a few seconds and then it was gone. The video he posted was of the dash and i aint seen no evo shift like that at 100 +. Everyone i know who has previously owned evo's or who owns them now says the same about +100. My MR2 is pushing out around 260-280 max and i have pulled a few car lengths on evo's from 80 onward. Once we hit 120 i'm gone though. They aint built for high speed motorway pulls.

Up till 100 evo's are great, after that i think they are pretty slow. Of course the 400 will be a completely different beast but i still don't see it troubling a BPU supra at speed. if the 300 ones are anything to go by.

Guess its something i would have to suck and see though.

Scott =op

TBH i didn't find my evo quick at all. It only had a few mods and was pushing just over 300bhp. Being an EVO V and a damn site lighter than the FQ's i really can't see a 300 pulling away from a standard supra over 80mph let alone a bpu one. Quarter mile times will prove this for a start. They are SHOCKING.

One of the guys on here was doing a power run and ran into a 320 evo on the motorway. He said he seen it for a few seconds and then it was gone. The video he posted was of the dash and i aint seen no evo shift like that at 100 +. Everyone i know who has previously owned evo's or who owns them now says the same about +100. My MR2 is pushing out around 260-280 max and i have pulled a few car lengths on evo's from 80 onward. Once we hit 120 i'm gone though. They aint built for high speed motorway pulls.

Up till 100 evo's are great, after that i think they are pretty slow. Of course the 400 will be a completely different beast but i still don't see it troubling a BPU supra at speed. if the 300 ones are anything to go by.

Guess its something i would have to suck and see though.

Scott =op

I agree completely, the evo is a low down car and imo doesn't pull hard at all over 100+ It would definitely hold its own lower down though against BPU. I'm not interested in top end cars at the moment hence i bought the Evo and am loving it. I only bought it as a temporary car but now have big plans to mod it:D

I agree completely, the evo is a low down car and imo doesn't pull hard at all over 100+ It would definitely hold its own lower down though against BPU. I'm not interested in top end cars at the moment hence i bought the Evo and am loving it. I only bought it as a temporary car but now have big plans to mod it:D

What you temporary car going to be replaced by then??

I reckon an evo would do more than hold its own at lower speeds ;)

IMO, sorry guys, supra's aren't really that fast considering their power below 80. When i saw the vid of that guys power run on the motorway i couldn't believe his speedo after 80mph.

Is that because its a straight 6 or something?

Scott =op

The XT stands for xtreme spec

its a better option than the FQ400 as i have no lag at all, i have max power and torque at around 3500RPM and it holds it to 7000RMP

scott i have 2 evo VIII's my XT400 and an FQ330, as you say proof in the pudding and i would be willing to have my ass handed to me (dont take this the wrong way, im not bragging just a genuine offer to find out on track as i would be interested)

no i didnt go for 2.3 as i wanted to keep it really drivable for country roads, i didnt want a massive turbo as i find it more fun in the twisties, i didnt want lag or a suden rush of power at the end of the revs

i dont have any recent pics or any good ones, this is all i have

Can't believe you are selling to get married:D Buy yourself an Evo, great family soon with performance to boot :)

Tell me about it, we have spent every spare penny we have on everything else and i'm having to sell just for about the last 3k we need....

Also thought about another supra with the spare but don't mean to start the J-spec/UK thing but I don't think i'd be happy with a J-spec. I got mine cause it was EXACTLY what I wanted, Black, Beige leather and manual so might be buying another for the wrong reason..

BUT....

I've always liked the Evo 7, slightly better than the 8 looks wise, probably only because of the wheels, but don't know Evo's like I do supras!

The XT stands for xtreme spec

its a better option than the FQ400 as i have no lag at all, i have max power and torque at around 3500RPM and it holds it to 7000RMP

scott i have 2 evo VIII's my XT400 and an FQ330, as you say proof in the pudding and i would be willing to have my ass handed to me (dont take this the wrong way, im not bragging just a genuine offer to find out on track as i would be interested)

no i didnt go for 2.3 as i wanted to keep it really drivable for country roads, i didnt want a massive turbo as i find it more fun in the twisties, i didnt want lag or a suden rush of power at the end of the revs

i dont have any recent pics or any good ones, this is all i have

Very nice, i wouldn't mind knowing the spec of how they achieved the magic 400. heres mine before i start the modding

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/LEE2SARE/evo+020a.jpg

well here is a rough idea of what it takes, but i did go overkill on the strenth so it was future proof

Evo 400 induction filter

Evo 400 maf deletion pipe

aps 3.5" full exhaust

hks valve springs

hks cam gears

hks ic hard pipes

hks cam belt

hks 1.2mm head gasket

hks 272/272 cams

hks ssqv bov

sard fpr

arp head studs

arp main studs

crower con rods

wiesco 85.5mm pistons (with teflon coating)

eagle billet crank

megan racing exhaust manifold

Ths ported turbo elbo

Ths ally radiator

helix organic clutch

walbro fuel pump

acl shamfered bearings

3mm lash adjusters

mr turbo with 10.5 turbo housing

Gems stand alone engine management

2 bar map sensor

induction temp sensor

uprated boost control solanoid

titanium valve spring retainers

Ralliart thermostat

Ralliart radiator cap

balance shaft removal kit

ngk irridium spark plugs

Mocal 19 row oil cooler

well here is a rough idea of what it takes, but i did go overkill on the strenth so it was future proof

Evo 400 induction filter

aps 3.5" full exhaust

hks valve springs

hks cam gears

hks ic hard pipes

hks cam belt

hks 1.2mm head gasket

hks 272/272 cams

hks ssqv bov

sard fpr

arp head studs

arp main studs

crower con rods

eagle billet crank

Ths ported turbo elbo

Ths ally radiator

helix organic clutch

walbro fuel pump

acl shamfered bearings

3mm lash adjusters

2 bar map sensor

induction temp sensor

Ralliart thermostat

Ralliart radiator cap

ngk irridium spark plugs

Mocal 19 row oil cooler

Very nice spec, I hope to be at this stage of tune(although not as excessive) in the summer:D Costs alot more to tune these than the supra doesn't it?:( Looking at your signature, can you get any good prices on anything Evo related?

Evo 400 induction filter

aps 3.5" full exhaust

hks valve springs

hks cam gears

hks ic hard pipes

hks cam belt

hks 1.2mm head gasket

hks 272/272 cams

hks ssqv bov

sard fpr

arp head studs

arp main studs

crower con rods

eagle billet crank

Ths ported turbo elbo

Ths ally radiator

helix organic clutch

walbro fuel pump

acl shamfered bearings

3mm lash adjusters

2 bar map sensor

induction temp sensor

Ralliart thermostat

Ralliart radiator cap

ngk irridium spark plugs

Mocal 19 row oil cooler

Wow, thats alot of work, my supras putting out 409.9 Bhp and i did this:

1. Hybrid Turbos

2. Bigger Fuel pump

3. Decat pipe

4. umm

5. scratch scratch

6. umm thats about it

;)

Wow, thats alot of work, my supras putting out 409.9 Bhp and i did this:

1. Hybrid Turbos

2. Bigger Fuel pump

3. Decat pipe

4. umm

5. scratch scratch

6. umm thats about it

;)

Same, well nearly. Got the hybrids, better fuel pump, FMIC, full decat etc, but I'm only pushing out 300 odd at the wheels for some bizarre reason!!! 430 at the fly.

Just so happens after we have been talking about these cars that yesterday I got caught up with a FQ330 or 340, can quite remember which it was now, but I can catogorically (sp) confirm these things fucking fly.......I spotted a grey on down past McDonalds with big grey plastic mud flaps, clean looking and I said to my mate straight away I am going to have to be on this mo fo to kill him, and kill him I couldnt. I absolutely spanked my Hybrids at a little over 1.3bar and couldnt get past him. When we first left the roundabout and I was only on one turbo in 3rd, no contest what so ever, all I could do was watch him go and wait for my car to hit the magic 4k revs, when it did I was holding the gap, as we reached a ton I started to feel a slight gain on him but I still had a good few car lengths to claim back yet, and then the next roundabout came so we had to brake. We were just starting to hit the ton then and I reckon by the time we had hit 120, I would defintily be realing him back but I would have been totally relying on the top end strength of the 3.0ltr, for exceleration and killing below 100 this thing had me all day long........very rapid......so is the 400 quicker ?

Liam/Lee, any of you two use the Evo forum, any chance of finding out who it might have been/spec ?