The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Vs EVO MR FQ400

Suprash

Just so happens after we have been talking about these cars that yesterday I got caught up with a FQ330 or 340, can quite remember which it was now, but I can catogorically (sp) confirm these things fucking fly.......I spotted a grey on down past McDonalds with big grey plastic mud flaps, clean looking and I said to my mate straight away I am going to have to be on this mo fo to kill him, and kill him I couldnt. I absolutely spanked my Hybrids at a little over 1.3bar and couldnt get past him. When we first left the roundabout and I was only on one turbo in 3rd, no contest what so ever, all I could do was watch him go and wait for my car to hit the magic 4k revs, when it did I was holding the gap, as we reached a ton I started to feel a slight gain on him but I still had a good few car lengths to claim back yet, and then the next roundabout came so we had to brake. We were just starting to hit the ton then and I reckon by the time we had hit 120, I would defintily be realing him back but I would have been totally relying on the top end strength of the 3.0ltr, for exceleration and killing below 100 this thing had me all day long........very rapid......so is the 400 quicker ?

Liam/Lee, any of you two use the Evo forum, any chance of finding out who it might have been/spec ?

I'll find out for you. I would expect the spec to be around 390bhp which is very common as after this, you need to start uprating internals. And if it was up to this sort of power it wouldn't be far off the FQ400 specs. You are right though, the supra would have had him at anything above 100 in my opinion. They just don't pull like the supra high up but bottom end is mucho fun. There is a grey one in Tadley which i see in Basingstoke alot, it may have been him

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll find out for you. I would expect the spec to be around 390bhp which is very common as after this, you need to start uprating internals. And if it was up to this sort of power it wouldn't be far off the FQ400 specs. You are right though, the supra would have had him at anything above 100 in my opinion. They just don't pull like the supra high up but bottom end is mucho fun. There is a grey one in Tadley which i see in Basingstoke alot, it may have been him

Find out who it is (went past McDonals about 15:00 - 16:00 and played hard with a grey Supra, it also had palstic rally type mud guards), I wanna shake his hand for making me wanna go single now, nothing like that has pushed me that hard for a long time......I was most peeved off for about 3mins after and just kept thinking I cant go single yet, I have just paid out to have my stock turbo pipe work polished and chromed lol......

Find out who it is (went past McDonals about 15:00 - 16:00 and played hard with a grey Supra, it also had palstic rally type mud guards), I wanna shake his hand for making me wanna go single now, nothing like that has pushed me that hard for a long time......I was most peeved off for about 3mins after and just kept thinking I cant go single yet, I have just paid out to have my stock turbo pipe work polished and chromed lol......

i'm probably going for a bigger single on mine too, a GT35R :D

The XT stands for xtreme spec

its a better option than the FQ400 as i have no lag at all, i have max power and torque at around 3500RPM and it holds it to 7000RMP

scott i have 2 evo VIII's my XT400 and an FQ330, as you say proof in the pudding and i would be willing to have my ass handed to me (dont take this the wrong way, im not bragging just a genuine offer to find out on track as i would be interested)

no i didnt go for 2.3 as i wanted to keep it really drivable for country roads, i didnt want a massive turbo as i find it more fun in the twisties, i didnt want lag or a suden rush of power at the end of the revs

i dont have any recent pics or any good ones, this is all i have

[qimg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/liamlovatt/Picture002.jpg[/qimg]

[qimg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/liamlovatt/Picture001.jpg[/qimg]

I'm only going by straight line already doing 60-70. On a track i would get absolutely blown away. 1 because i have zero track experience and 2 because the handling in the evo is second to none. I'm pretty sure the 1/4 mile time on a standard FQ330 is around 13 seconds. I think the official time is 13.2 @ 105mph but i can't be sure, i just read that somewhere. My car will do a mid/low 13 quarter with a decent driver based on the mods i have. In fact, i know of a few members on the IMOC board that have 13.2 second quarters with less power than me. On the 1/4 mile the 330 would probably just beat me but what you have to remember is off the line the evo would have me for breakfast. After that i would be reeling him in all the way.

As i said, i'm basing a lot of my opinion on figures. What quarter mile times do you have in the 330? is it standard?

340bhp MR2 times are around 12.5 seconds with a terminal of 112ish.

Power for power i don't think the evo stands a chance. ONLY in a straight line though, which is no fun really.

Scott =op

scott not had my XT400 on the quarter yet but ill let you know how i get on, im up for some straight line runs and a rolling start if you fancy it ? i would be very interested

yes the 400 is much quicker than an FQ330, not only does it have more power but the torque's alot more to, the reason i went for a xt400 over an fq400 was the power and torque curv

they dont really have many kill threads on the MLR but ill have a look

Wasn't arguing about the 400. I have no idea what those are like in a straight line but the fact that your getting full boost at 3.5k revs certainly means it will be a totally different kettle of fish.

My argument was only based on the 330's ;)

Scott =op

just had a quick look at a post lee made and i think it may have been mr Raj with 375bhp, he wont directly admit it though as there are to many flamers on the MLR

Just had a quick look, looks like the same car as the one in Raj garage, ask him by PM if he wants to meet up for a little meet, I wanna see where exactly his is so much quicker and to admire the beast that has got me thinking single turbo again, wouldnt mind having a bit of compare, maybe a spin in it if he'll let me, of course I would retrun the favour and take him out in mine.....

Looking at his stats he is running 375bhp, presume this is at the fly, Im running 380 at the wheels or was on the last dyno before a new hybrid rebuild, so could gearing and the different setups between the two, ie, him being low down grunt and me being top end grunt, could that much BHP be lost between the two.....in that he still seemed quicker, I know we was below a ton and my extra power should be more usefull above a ton, but I would have thought 70bhp odd more would beat it no matter on the set up......

Just had a quick look, looks like the same car as the one in Raj garage, ask him by PM if he wants to meet up for a little meet, I wanna see where exactly his is so much quicker and to admire the beast that has got me thinking single turbo again, wouldnt mind having a bit of compare, maybe a spin in it if he'll let me, of course I would retrun the favour and take him out in mine.....

Ash, Raj is always at the reading meets

Looking at his stats he is running 375bhp, presume this is at the fly, Im running 380 at the wheels or was on the last dyno before a new hybrid rebuild, so could gearing and the different setups between the two, ie, him being low down grunt and me being top end grunt, could that much BHP be lost between the two.....in that he still seemed quicker, I know we was below a ton and my extra power should be more usefull above a ton, but I would have thought 70bhp odd more would beat it no matter on the set up......

Evo's get a fair bit of trans loss as 4wd, if he has 375bhpfly thats about 280atw's, you say yours is 380atw's, there must be something wrong with your car, you should win with a 100bhp atw's more and simlar weight cars.:)

EDIT, i just read yours is RHHP... Thor i take it? that would explain it:D

Evo's get a fair bit of trans loss as 4wd, if he has 375bhpfly thats about 280atw's, you say yours is 380atw's, there must be something wrong with your car, you should win with a 100bhp atw's more and simlar weight cars.:)

EDIT, i just read yours is RHHP... Thor i take it? that would explain it:D

*cough* dont know what your on about *cough* :D

Ok, so I guess truley I could probably knock 30/40bhp off. I do want to get a different dyno done, but I need Thor for the comparison factor to see if these hybrids are making what my last set where, so need to go back to Thor in the next couple of weeks.......

Just so happens after we have been talking about these cars that yesterday I got caught up with a FQ330 or 340, can quite remember which it was now, but I can catogorically (sp) confirm these things fucking fly.......I spotted a grey on down past McDonalds with big grey plastic mud flaps, clean looking and I said to my mate straight away I am going to have to be on this mo fo to kill him, and kill him I couldnt. I absolutely spanked my Hybrids at a little over 1.3bar and couldnt get past him. When we first left the roundabout and I was only on one turbo in 3rd, no contest what so ever, all I could do was watch him go and wait for my car to hit the magic 4k revs, when it did I was holding the gap, as we reached a ton I started to feel a slight gain on him but I still had a good few car lengths to claim back yet, and then the next roundabout came so we had to brake. We were just starting to hit the ton then and I reckon by the time we had hit 120, I would defintily be realing him back but I would have been totally relying on the top end strength of the 3.0ltr, for exceleration and killing below 100 this thing had me all day long........very rapid......so is the 400 quicker ?

Liam/Lee, any of you two use the Evo forum, any chance of finding out who it might have been/spec ?

You sure it wasn't a FQ 400?

The reason im saying so is, im JDM 1.2 Bar, stock tubbies, TTC and i came against a FQ340 (In the thread below i have said its a FQ320, it was actually a FQ340). I did 3 runs with him and i always got infront and my lead just grew as i topped near enough 160 leptons.

On the last run we were side by side 80MPH roll, he stuck with me till around 100, after that i honestly just left him, by the time i hit 150 ish he was a good 6 car lengths behind.

Have a look at the vid and watch the speedo, if you listen very carefully at 2 mins of the way through the vid you'll hear me hit the horn twice at which point we both went for the final run.

Either your car isn't doing to well or you cant drive:D

Heres the link http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=94697

You sure it wasn't a FQ 400?

The reason im saying so is, im JDM 1.2 Bar, stock tubbies, TTC and i came against a FQ340 (In the thread below i have said its a FQ320, it was actually a FQ340). I did 3 runs with him and i always got infront and my lead just grew as i topped near enough 160 leptons.

On the last run we were side by side 80MPH roll, he stuck with me till around 100, after that i honestly just left him, by the time i hit 150 ish he was a good 6 car lengths behind.

Have a look at the vid and watch the speedo, if you listen very carefully at 2 mins of the way through the vid you'll hear me hit the horn twice at which point we both went for the final run.

Either your car isn't doing to well or you cant drive:D

Heres the link http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=94697

Or, maybe you should read a little better, as I said we only raced to a ton and then he gave up. I could feel as we got closer to the ton mark that mine was starting to pull him back in, if we had kept going Im certain after 120+ I would have rocked passed him, which confirms with what your saying as well ;)

Did you race him from 30mph up to a ton, prob not, well if you did, he would kill you, same as he did me, especially as I came off the roundabout in 3rd at like 1800/2000 revs while on one turbo, I was pleading for the magic 4k, then I was holding onto him.

Not sure why I typed all that again, I should have just made you go back to the begining and read it again more carefully....:p

Or, maybe you should read a little better, as I said we only raced to a ton and then he gave up. I could feel as we got closer to the ton mark that mine was starting to pull him back in, if we had kept going Im certain after 120+ I would have rocked passed him, which confirms with what your saying as well ;)

Did you race him from 30mph up to a ton, prob not, well if you did, he would kill you, same as he did me, especially as I came off the roundabout in 3rd at like 1800/2000 revs while on one turbo, I was pleading for the magic 4k, then I was holding onto him.

Not sure why I typed all that again, I should have just made you go back to the begining and read it again more carefully....:p

Erm mate,

I have raced him (FQ340) from 40 roll (Ok not quite 30) as i know the guy, twice and i came out on top both times, it was neck and neck till 80 and after that i pretty much left him.

Heres the technical part for those who care lol,

Im 350 ATW, weighing in at 1542KG,

hes 280 ATW weighing in at 1480KG,

there's not much in weight advantages for either of us.

It's pretty clear cut who'll come out on top on a roll start...lol how did you come to the conclusion he'll kill me? look at the stats above.

From stand still he has me till 110 always and after that i leave him with ease.

You sure you've got hybrids?:D

Your starting to wind me up now cause you clearly aint listening to what Im saying.............

Yeah on 1 turbo in 3rd at 1800-2000revs he will kill you, he killed me until no2 came online, and then up to 80/100mph while on both turbos I was holding him level, so this ties in with what your saying so far right.......

And when we hit 100, I started to pull him back in.........120 + I would have shot past Im sure but dont know cause we never got there.......

So wheres the problem...........its sounds to me like we're both saying the same.........

My hybrids were dyno'd at 380rhhp at 1.1 bar.............

Your starting to wind me up now cause you clearly aint listening to what Im saying.............

Yeah on 1 turbo in 3rd at 1800-2000revs he will kill you, he killed me until no2 came online, and then up to 80/100mph while on both turbos I was holding him level, so this ties in with what your saying so far right.......

And when we hit 100, I started to pull him back in.........120 + I would have shot past Im sure but dont know cause we never got there.......

So wheres the problem...........its sounds to me like we're both saying the same.........

My hybrids were dyno'd at 380rhhp at 1.1 bar.............

Im winding you up?

I dont care about what revs etc, when ever i race, i stay within the power band.

On roll 40, 2nd gear at 4k rpm, i left him after 80, infact i killed him.

Standstill he has me till 110 after which again i killed him.

I put down 70BHP more than he does ATW.

So basically what im saying, is, if i killed him on a 40 roll to 100, i doubt very much he'd kill me on a 30 roll to 100, it'll be neck and neck, he'll obviously get the jump initially as ill be pootling along at 2k RPM at 30, i dont know about your car, but mine makes up ground very very quickly.

Besides im TTC so ill never be just one turbo, its either none or both.

he'll obviously get the jump initially as ill be pootling along at 2k RPM at 30

Im winding myself up........ ;)

There you go, thats my refence to he killed me, he got the jump on me by quite a few car lengths, then once in the power band I was holding him, why am I having to keep repeating this though, when Im saying exactly the same as you.......:D

I wondered how much a difference TTC would make with the lower down torque........

So you know someone with one of these......?

same as you.......:D

I wondered how much a difference TTC would make with the lower down torque........

So you know someone with one of these......?

Low down torque isn't as good as sequential, it's mid range where there is an improvement.

Speak to nic, he has a dyno plot to prove what i have just said.