The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Vs EVO MR FQ400

Suprash

Hardly ;) I wonder what 1000 out of a 3.0 or 1400 out of a 2.6 is called then :D Big turbo means just its crapto drive off boost.

But I think you'd be hard pressed to beat it around a road course as its so light and with a good amount of power to make it very fast. For motorway racing would be different story, I believe a BPU Supra should kill it at mid-top end speeds.

I think he meant stock with warranty and reliability etc.

I'm with most of you, the 340 is by far the better model. I was a member of lancer register for a while and the guys on there had 400bhp without the drawbacks of the fq400 as they pushed their turbo a little harder. I'm pretty sure that the differences between the 340 and the 400 are the manifold, the clutch, the mapping and some other bits and bobs. As far as i know the turbo is exactly the same, its the mapping that makes it laggy to keep the juice for the top end.

An FQ 400 would have a supra from a standing start to just about any speed. However most of an evo's time is made up from 0-100 (well around 130 for the 400) so after that speed aerodynamics is a factor and the supra would start to gain. 0-100 the fq400, IMO, would blow the supra away. From 100-120 they would probably be even and by the time they hit 130 i reckon the supra would be gaining. Don't think it would be enough to catch it though.

The evo is a different car to the supra. They both have their own strengths.

Scott =op

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Downside is they are laggy.

I think i saw that episode, if i remember rightly they race the evo against an average family skoda both in 5th gear from 30 mph. the skoda left it standing cos the evo took a few hundred yards to build up boost.

a pointless exercise as you'd just change down gear and blow the other car away but i guess they were just making a point that its very very laggy.

was a family fiat both cars in 6th gear @ 30mph.

IIRC it was an estate too lol.

The thing is though, get in a 200mph supercar that they love so much and perform the same test. The revs will absolutely kill the engine and it will do nothing, as the evo did.

Topgear seem to do a lot of "pointless" tests. Especially as the series go on and they have nothing left. Did anyone see the episode with the caravan on fire? Yeah, that wasn't deliberate.

Scott =op

The FQ400 would nail most cars on the road, its just insane, and it comes that way of the shelf! you just need to watch it push the 5.0 V10 lambo around the top gear track, its unreal!

Also the fq400 can be remapped to 500bhp for only £350 by Rampage. And there is a lot of the fq range running similar power to the fq400 without the lag associated with it. I couldn't compare one to a supra as they are such different cars. The supra would win hands down at higher speeds though imo

So why does JC Say the fq 320 is the best one?

no lag and a better all rounder in his opinion. You can tune the 300,320,340 and 360 to the 400 levels with none of the associated lag. I'm aiming to make my fq300 an excellent low down car, i'm not really interested in top end

So why does JC Say the fq 320 is the best one?

Apparently the 400 has a daft clutch and is sooooo easy to stall from take off and the tubo lag is terrible , he put it up against a family saloon , a rolling start in 5th and a bogo Focus beat it.

2-3k service intervals and about 8 to the gallon when thrashed

Apparently the 400 has a daft clutch and is sooooo easy to stall from take off and the tubo lag is terrible , he put it up against a family saloon , a rolling start in 5th and a bogo Focus beat it.

2-3k service intervals and about 8 to the gallon when thrashed

actually it was 6th and a Fiat Stilo :D Who in there right mind puts their car in 6th at 30mph? I can't see the clutch being any different to an uprated supra clutch, you just have to get used to it.

I'd fancy my chances from a standing start purely on the fact that the FQ4 will almost certainly shear the teeth off it's rear diff on a full bore start.

I'll never forget having my arse well and truely handed to me by a virtually stock P1 a few years ago. Took 2 miles just to pass him.

when i had an FQ300 it pulled away from a couple of BPU supras off here during high speed runs.

now i have an XT400 and to be honest you would have to have alot of power in a supra to keep up at low speed or high speed due to weight, mine has been off the clock (dont know how acurate the evo clocks are)

it pulls hard to 140 then after 160 it does strugle a bit.

reliability really has to go to the supra though. my last supra had 60k miles of solid abuse and the only thing to go was the head gasket, lets just say the evo has cost ALOT more to keep it going !!

Guest Nicholas

this thread is a good read, EVO's are great but after a while you get bored with throwing them into corners at stupid speeds and never losing it :)

The FQ400 is a mighty achievement imo but I'd have a Single Supra over it any day...

indeed the amount of grip they have is honestly unbalivable, especially in the wet !

the only problem is the SAYC (super active yaw control) if the car starts to slide it corrects its self using brakes to slow the wheels that need to be slowed and then the active diffs send power to where its needed, only problem is the car corrects it so well you need to pin the throttle and hold the wheel still, this doesnt happen though as your natural reaction it to countersteer and feather the throttle.

this means the car corrects it and so do you, now the car is double corrected and this leads to some nasty fishtails, quite a few evo owners have binned it due to this

but then you can swap to the cast iron RS diff and junk the whole system