The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why so many autos?

RobEvans

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had both auto and manual (probably more than most people on the forum) and I still find it hard to choose between the two. I love the up and down gear box changes of a drive around twisty's but equally enjoy the auto box in town driving and on cruise mode.

As I say to my buyers, they are both superb set ups and the only way to really appreciate them is to try both. Unfortunately, there are several small minded folk on the forum who despite never trying an auto, will continually say that the manual is best. :rolleyes:

IUnfortunately, there are several small minded folk on the forum who despite never trying an auto, will continually say that the manual is best. :rolleyes:

I've never tried a manual Supra and always say the auto is best, does that make me a bad person :innocent:

may be becouse there slightly slower. manuals have allways been faster.

You've been here over 1.5 years yet don't know that the auto's are quicker in a straight line :search:

AFAIK there's more auto's due to the supply demands at the time these cars were marketed (93-96). They were aimed at the GT car market - especially in the EU - so many more AT around.

Someone mentioned the US thing, so how come they had more 6spd's than anywhere else? Although a majority were floppy aero tops, which in the US make the hard tops rare and more valuable.

Contradictions in desirability all round it seems ;)

I've never tried a manual Supra and always say the auto is best, does that make me a bad person :innocent:

No, not bad but how can you say something is better than another thing without trying it? You can say that you think the auto is superb (which it undoubtedly is) but cannot say better.

why hasn't anybody invented a true switchable manual to auto box so you can have the best of both worlds.

tiptronic - Great for racers

MANU mode on Auto - A small taste of manual

Auto - ok for long drives but its not as involving as manual

manual - ace but hardwork in town.

Sorry fella, but the first two are so very, very wrong. tiptronic IS an auto, the gearbox is EXACTLY the same. Tip is virtually the same as a normal auto except the shifter is on the wheel instead of the centre. If you compare a Tip to a 6spd you've obviously never driven a 6 spd. For starters it has a clutch :blink:

Also MANU mode is nothing at all like a a proper manual, to even think that you're kidding yourself.

The comments on the Auto vs Manual is correct though.

no there not but im not arguing thou

So pretty much all of the long term members here who have owned or driven both type's are wrong and you are corect? Urm, okay then... So now you're not willing to discuss it further, thanks for your input, its been most helpful :rolleyes:

Roll up guys, come see the usual Auto vs Manual suspects battle out another pointless argument that they'll always later claim to "not care about". :D

Correction - it's the "one guy who knows fcuk all starts a pointless argument with people who know what they're talking about; none of which care about the outcome" :D