The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why so many autos?

RobEvans

i'm gonna stick my neck out here and say that the manuals down the quarter would be as quick, possible quicker if the owners gave themselves a chance of reducing/eliminating wheel spin....

............the current and constant auto beating manuals down the strip is down in part to the seemless auto changes (and only 2 changes compare to the manuals 3 that are required) and also the way it launches its impossible/very difficult to get time losing wheelspin......

..........with a TT manual getting away without wheelspin is very very difficult, adrenaline, the 2nd turbo transition, the skill (or lack of) of clutch slipping and throttle balance, all combine to see you struggling in the wake of a auto where lets face it there's not alot to go wrong........

IF manual owners fitted drag radial type tyres their times would drop significantly, but auto owners wouldn't (unless seriously tuned) see much improvement.........

What i'm saying is take away wheel spin and in would/may be different.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm gonna stick my neck out here and say that the manuals down the quarter would be as quick, possible quicker if the owners gave themselves a chance of reducing/eliminating wheel spin....

............the current and constant auto beating manuals down the strip is down in part to the seemless auto changes (and only 2 changes compare to the manuals 3 that are required) and also the way it launches its impossible/very difficult to get time losing wheelspin......

..........with a TT manual getting away without wheelspin is very very difficult, adrenaline, the 2nd turbo transition, the skill (or lack of) of clutch slipping and throttle balance, all combine to see you struggling in the wake of a auto where lets face it there's not alot to go wrong........

IF manual owners fitted drag radial type tyres their times would drop significantly, but auto owners wouldn't (unless seriously tuned) see much improvement.........

What i'm saying is take away wheel spin and in would/may be different.

What makes you think an auto does not get/have wheel spin too ?

Im just wondering why is there so many auto supras?

Do japs have a fettish with automatics or are they just lazy?! Iv been told its because of heavy traffic in japan...

Iv notices this with other import cars to...:)

The Japs have Autos because they spend 99% of the time in traffic jams, i think there town speeds are only soomething like 25mph ??? anyway compared to our 30 limit

Also they all have those traffic systems installed which most assume are TV's

What i'm saying is that the guy down at pod in a standard or bpu auto does not have the same wheel spin issues as the guy a similarly spec'd manual.
True dat. My and SimonB raced a few times at SantaPod in similarly specced BPU Supras but mine was an auto and his a 6sp with RLTC and Launch Control. They were very close races, IIRC I won one, lost one and aborted one run when I tried manual mode and messed it up big time (forgot I was in MM and didn't shift out of first until it had bounced off the limiter for about 3 secs :blush:)

Does anyone have a comparison between an auto and a manual going down the drag strip?

It wouldn't be relevant really unless it was the same driver for each car, and there was like minimum 10 runs in each. BUT they say that only a TOP driver will beat an auto in a manual