The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how many miles can you get for a ten pounds of petrol

Guest supratuning

gotta agree with the others here mate, if your worried about fuel consumption look elsewhere. going from a 1.1 to a 3l is going to be a massive jump for someone with only 3 years of driving experience. (no offence intended). plus with petrol prices on the increase things are only gonna get more exensive.

Also you gotta make sure that you can afford to service them and look after them properly otherwise theres just no point.

I have wanted a supra for years an now im 23 i can finnaly afford to run and maintain one properly so im starting to look for one.

to give you an idea my NA MR2 used to do over 400 miles to a tank, now im lucky if my Turbo MR2 does 300. even though its only a 2l turbo its still drinking nearly £50 a week to just to get me to work and back.

however i hope this doesnt put you off, and good luck with finding the car for you mate :)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have sold my R32 skyline to buy a supra, maybe i should stick to the skyline and buy another one after listening to you guys. by the way i work in a garage so maintanance isnt a problem at all.

If you work in a garage (im presuming your a mechanic or work with mechanics) then you should no the basics on MPG etc????

Is this thread a wind up:sly:

Guest supratuning

just because i work in a garage doesnt mean i will know the MPG of any car, i repair cars i dont drive them and see how many MPG they are doing. driving a toyota supra is not in my job description.

I know this is a bit of a odd comment but.....

If your worried about how far £10 will get you in a Supra then to be honest the Supra is not for you.. all supra owners know that £10 is pretty much a quick 10min evening drive (blatted of course) hehehe :)

The difference between a supra and a punto is well.... BIG i mean its like your asking whats the differance between chicken and a chocolate bar in which i mean bound to be compleaty different

ps. no offence intended

just because i work in a garage doesnt mean i will know the MPG of any car, i repair cars i dont drive them and see how many MPG they are doing. driving a toyota supra is not in my job description.

Again, no offence meant...

I don't even know the mpg of a supra (standard or otherwise) off the top of my head, let alone a punto.

I think the reason people are debating whether or not this is a real question is because being a car mechanic it is sort of taken as read that you know how a car works.

That sort of includes, at the most basic of levels, knowing that as you increase the size of the engine you surely must increase the amount of fuel that it takes to run that engine safely.

If you don't know, then you don't know, but let me know where you work so I don't go there. ;)

Only kidding.

Its the basics mate tbh, even i no that a Supra will drink much more than a 1.1 Punto. Driving a Supra is not in your job description your right but it,s not hard to determine how many miles a 3.0L engine will get you compared to a 1.1L.

What spec was your R32? GTR, GTS or GTS-T?, what fuel consumption did you get in that? What made you get rid of it?

It would be a sad day when I put £10 of petrol in the Supe... it'd mean I was close to bankrupt!!

New tank of Shell V Power tonight... I'll see how it goes but I get around 18 - 20 mpg on my usual journey, so that's about 45 miles on a tenner of Super UL.

argh, some one mentioned if worried about tenner fuel then don't buy supra....

the supra prices are so low that anyone could afford to buy one may be difficult to get insurance but we are looking at 3k for a TT auto.... like the one CJ bought and sold?

I don't really look at my fuel bill as it is depressing but the fun I get from A-B = :)

China

:wtf: Please tell me this is a wind up! :blink:

A Punto's fuel consumption compaired to a Supra's! Come on guys! :haha:

If i had to put £10 of petrol in my supra at the garage i would have to hide my face in shame! :blush:

Anyone who does this, shame on you! I dont care if your skint, leave the car at home! :D

PS, my supe does around 120 miles on £40 (normal driving). If its spirited driving then its not even worth working out :D

Guest Mista_V

well i've had my supra for a month now and the fuel costs have kinda hit me, infact if it wasn't a supra I would probably sell it but because its the car i've always wanted I allow its drink problem.

My car is an N/A...which is what I chose for now because I'm coming from a 2litre celica FWD to a 3l RWD so I wanted to get used to driving it and also learn a bit more about maintanance etc...around town i'm getting no more than 40 to a tenner, I havn't calculated it on the motorway but its definitely a lot better.

TBH I think going from a 1.1 to a 3L will be too much of a slap in the face..in the supra you actually SEE the needle dropping when you give it a lil bit of stick!

£10 of petrol is...........

10.2 litres of V power at 0.98 per litre

Thats 2.25gallons

Let me translate it further............£10 of fuel = A joke! :rlol:

Exactly, the cost of fuel varies....so its a pointless exercise. How can you possibly work out the mpg without knowing the volume of fuel used?

some people :rolleyes:

Not really a pointless exercise.

At 90p a litre, you get 2.45 gallons, so if you do 50 miles that's 20.4mpg.

At 102p a litre, you get 2.16 gallons, so if you do 50 miles that's 23.1mpg.

Extreme ends of the scale of cost of fuel, and it's still within the realms of "I get between 20 and 23mpg on average". For the comparison in this thread it's perfectly acceptable to use "£10 of fuel" as the gauge rather than "specific mpg".

oh my god! a mechanic that thinks a 1.1 punto might use the same amount of petrol as a 3.0 supra???

and also doesn't realise his own punto is buggered getting 50mpg????

wtf?

please let us know which gargage you work at mate, I will look out for you on 'rogue traders' :blink:

I don't mean to sound nasty, but are you really a mechanic? or did you just say that to try and get a sifferent kind of answer?

You must realise that if your 1.1 punto is getting the same out of £10 of petrol as a 2.5 Skyline then there must be something wrong with the punto!!

oh my god! a mechanic that thinks a 1.1 punto might use the same amount of petrol as a 3.0 supra???

and also doesn't realise his own supra is buggered getting 50mpg????

wtf?

please let us know which gargage you work at mate, I will look out for you on 'rogue traders' :blink:

I don't mean to sound nasty, but are you really a mechanic? or did you just say that to try and get a sifferent kind of answer?

You must realise that if your 1.1 punto is getting the same out of £10 of petrol as a 2.5 Skyline then there must be something wrong with the punto!!

LMAO:rlol:

hes actually worse than the dealer offering 4K for a UK supra while valuing a Jspec @ 10K :idiot:

"I get between 20 and 23mpg on average". For the comparison in this thread it's perfectly acceptable to use "£10 of fuel" as the gauge rather than "specific mpg".

So basically it goes something like this:

I get 20-23mpg average and thats just due to the variation in the price of fuel. Its a completely different story when I boot it or drive like Ms Daisy - I just know its a different story, too thick to work out exactly whats going on as my elementary maths skills are seriously lacking.

:lol: