The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ali Control Knobs/covers

Paul

Thx for that James.

OK, I'll ask a following question in order to get a better understanding...for all those with Alpine headunits....do these knobs look the same as those, or are they brighter..?

WTF? Just pointing out some friendly camera facts, not getting at you.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx for that James.

OK, I'll ask a following question in order to get a better understanding...for all those with Alpine headunits....do these knobs look the same as those, or are they brighter..?

LOL:d Bloody hell, do you want these to match something then?

If so then I'll do you a set and try and match the finish exactly, if you want to send me a colour swatch or sample I'll see what I can do:) (cost you £50 a set for the the personal touch though)

Please appreciate that I went to the trouble of sending a set to Mark (Jamesmark) to get his independent opinion and any comments etc before going ahead with the despatch of the rest of them and then you come along asking in depth questions about the finish? What's that all about then?

I was asked to do these and gave in after a year, spent loads of time on them in the last couple of weeks and then someone who isn't even on the main list asks for the finish to be specific to their needs. I have turned them all to the same finish, brushed sides with polished tops, they are ali so if you want to stuff them in a lathe or drill then maybe you might be able to come up with the custom finish you desire?

Maybe I've taken this the wrong way but these now seem silly questions regarding the finish, bear in mind I'm not a bloody factory turning these out and the description is clear enough.

Paul

Nice one Bob...despite not having an Alpine HU, your common sense comes to the rescue..

:)

I think you are grasping the wrong end of common sense mate, the 2 pictures have 2 different lighting, angles, close up and shade oh and not forgetting megapixel quality, but if common sense cannot notice the difference between the 2 pictures and how those variances can affect how a picture can turn out then I will let your common sense guide your judgement.

LOL:d Bloody hell, do you want these to match something then?

If so then I'll do you a set and try and match the finish exactly, if you want to send me a colour swatch or sample I'll see what I can do:) (cost you £50 a set for the the personal touch though)

Please appreciate that I went to the trouble of sending a set to Mark (Jamesmark) to get his independent opinion and any comments etc before going ahead with the despatch of the rest of them and then you come along asking in depth questions about the finish? What's that all about then?

I was asked to do these and gave in after a year, spent loads of time on them in the last couple of weeks and then someone who isn't even on the main list asks for the finish to be specific to their needs. I have turned them all to the same finish, brushed sides with polished tops, they are ali so if you want to stuff them in a lathe or drill then maybe you might be able to come up with the custom finish you desire?

Maybe I've taken this the wrong way but these now seem silly questions regarding the finish, bear in mind I'm not a bloody factory turning these out and the description is clear enough.

Paul

Amen Paul, its a bit of a shame that the thread has turned out this way on someone trying to do a good deed to club members.

OK then 'lightening' :D In the interest of customer service I've just searched the net to look at Alpine head units and the dials on them appear to me a brushed aluminium finish all round unlike my description earlier at the start of this thread that indicates mine are a brushed side with more of a polished top:)

Are you after an having your knob 'brushed' :D if so then it's a far easier finish to achieve than the one I've done?

If so then you're next in line on the list so if someone drops out then we can talk.

OK then 'lightening' :D In the interest of customer service I've just searched the net to look at Alpine head units and the dials on them appear to me a brushed aluminium finish all round unlike my description earlier at the start of this thread that indicates mine are a brushed side with more of a polished top:)

Are you after an having your knob 'brushed' :D if so then it's a far easier finish to achieve than the one I've done?

If so then you're next in line on the list so if someone drops out then we can talk.

You guys crack me up...not sure James why you went on the defensive to a genuine question.

I havent seen these in person, I am only going by the pics...so no need to throw a fit.

Anyway, I am happy with Paul's explaination....let me know if someone drops out, if these can be polished to what the alpine knobs look like then I think they will finish the interior very nicely - in fact I think they will look fantastic.. (better keep the praises to myself incase one of the traders realises the opportunity)

If I do get the chance to get hold of these, then I will happily provide a high def pic if that helps.

Peace out...Good night.

Imi,

I'm OK with that. As I said it's alot easier doing that type of finish. Down to taste and what you have in the car already really. Being made from solid Ali with plenty of 'meat' left on them then they can be finished to suit the individual but making loads like this would have taken far longer if I did custom finishes.

If anyone isn't happy with the suitability of the finish for their car/needs then please feel free to PM and we'll try and sort something out:)

Paul

1) Gaz6148 (been in contact....on Hols )

2) Robsheffield (awaiting Paypal)

3) Peter Sharp - Paid, thanks

4) Foodfreak cheque arrived, thanks

5) Supra-Man (paid/ but missed today's postie run)

6) Zorglub

7) Jim-1979

8) Suprarob

Nice one mate, they do brighten up the look of the dash don't they!

Thanks for the pics:) A few more for IMI to pick holes in:d (that's a joke btw IMI;) )

It really is difficult to catch them on camera without making them look a dull tacky silver which they're not.

Paul

Thx for those pics John, thats exactly what I was looking for.

Nice work Paul. :ok:

Ta, 'if' there are some that drop out and you want a set then it might be an idea to contact me and send a sample of the finish you are after, IE a switch off your head unit or similar as it's difficult to match with photos and descriptions.

Mark (Jamesmark) was kind enough to send me one of his control switches from his J-spec to help sizing of these and I guarded it with my life:)