The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ali Control Knobs/covers

Paul

Further to this thread : http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=52999&highlight=heater

As you can see this went back to about a year or so ago, I'm now looking at making some of these due to members requests.

All I ask is for some genuine commitment by placing your name on the list below but only if you are 100% sure as it'll involve a fair bit of my time and some dosh to knock these babies out:)

Don't want your money up front, just want a real idea of what material to buy etc.

These are caps/covers that fit over the original, turned from solid aluminium and finished with the top part polished and the side with a brushed finish.

Can do all brushed or all polished if required but put this next to your name if this is what you want. Word of warning - all polished would be a pain in the arse to turn and will show finger prints!

Also the temp knob will have a thin black graphics vinyl line as an indicator.

Will be looking for £25 the pair, including packing , recorded delivery and paypal fees if applicable.

FAO mods, Please pm if this thread isn't appropriate, I'm not a trader and don't really wish to become one;) Looking at doing these to satisfy a demand from fellow club members and no trader offers these so I hope I'm not stepping out of line with this. Thanks.

edit by mawby - Normally a trader membership would be required to do this be I have authorised this on the condition that it is a 'one off'

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how I got dropped off the list from the other thread, but I'm still in.

1 - Chipmunk

2 - gaz6148

3 - mr lover

4 - Feakins

5 - Dave

6 - Jamesmark

7 - jim_supra

8 - Psymon

9 - Bob

10 - aeropete

11 - Faye

if it's a one-off then i'd best order some now, eh ;)

1 - Chipmunk

2 - gaz6148

3 - mr lover

4 - Feakins

5 - Dave

6 - Jamesmark

7 - jim_supra

8 - Psymon

9 - Bob

10 - aeropete

11 - Faye

12 - DaveM

13 - Supra-man

Do you just push them over the original ?

Are they easy to remove later on ?

Dont have to glue them or something ?

I might also be intrested in a set (1 of each..)

:)

Be interesting to know. Depending how they are fitted i'll definately have some.

Also, what do you mean by:

Can do all brushed or all polished if required but put this next to your name if this is what you want. Word of warning - all polished would be a pain in the arse to turn and will show finger prints

Is it basically saying that if you have the polished item, once fitted they are awkward to turn and the finger prints show up badly? Are they ones shown in the pic polished or brushed?

Cheers

Gaz

Right then, I'll try and answer some questions :)

These are caps that push over the originals, the original control is tapered slightly so they should be a snug fit as they are pressed towards the base and will cover to the correct depth of the control.

The fit should be good enough to leave it at that with no slipping when turned or you can use a small amount of glue, or as I did, use a small strip of double sided tape placed on the top of the orig. to secure it further if you didn't want to make them permanent.

I've removed the caps for measuring after they were on there for about a year or so by holding the back of the control knob with some thin nosed pliers and twisting gently, it came off without leaving any damage to the original yet held well while in use.

If everyone would prefer them solid as direct replacements then I can look at this too but the original one does have a spring clip in the 'D' that would need swapping over too, or some other way to secure them such as a grub screw as they would become loose if you just machined the 'D' in alone to fit the stalk part.

As for the finish, well the ones in the pics are polished on the top flat area and radiused edge and the side has a light brushed finish, giving it some thought this combination is best really in looks and also being practical so I wish I hadn't mentioned alternatives now:d

Please feel free to comment or come up with suggestions, I'm only suggesting this design as they have worked well for me over a long period of time and therefore I've got no reason to try anything different.

Paul

1 - Chipmunk

2 - gaz6148

3 - mr lover

4 - Feakins

5 - Dave

6 - Jamesmark

7 - jim_supra

8 - Psymon

9 - Bob

10 - aeropete

11 - Faye

12 - DaveM

13 - Supra-man

14 - RobSheffield

15 - Voo51

16 - GazzaGSi

17 - Jim_1979

18 - suprarob

1 - Chipmunk

2 - gaz6148

3 - mr lover

4 - Feakins

5 - Dave

6 - Jamesmark

7 - jim_supra

8 - Psymon

9 - Bob

10 - aeropete

11 - Faye

12 - DaveM

13 - Supra-man

14 - RobSheffield

15 - Voo51

16 - GazzaGSi

17 - Jim_1979

18 - suprarob

19 Gaijin

1 - Chipmunk

2 - gaz6148

3 - mr lover

4 - Feakins

5 - Dave

6 - Jamesmark

7 - jim_supra

8 - Psymon

9 - Bob

10 - aeropete

11 - Faye

12 - DaveM

13 - Supra-man

14 - RobSheffield

15 - Voo51

16 - GazzaGSi

17 - Jim_1979

18 - suprarob

19- Gaijin

20-Mas

1 - Chipmunk

2 - gaz6148

3 - mr lover

4 - Feakins

5 - Dave

6 - Jamesmark

7 - jim_supra

8 - Psymon

9 - Bob

10 - aeropete

11 - Faye

12 - DaveM

13 - Supra-man

14 - RobSheffield

15 - Voo51

16 - GazzaGSi

17 - Jim_1979

18 - suprarob

19- Gaijin

20-Mas

21-Greystoke

seems like an Excellent Idea to me Nic;) by the way have you changed your email add mate, as I have sent a few 100s emails and no respond :D thought you had enough of me and wont answer :innocent:

Hi Mas

Don't think I have received any emails recently, the address is in my sig below.

cheers