The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Dyno Graph

Pig

yes CJ, that is my theory, so iam told that uk's make more 326BHP fly, and Japs make 280BHP. as for the losses well.. i was talking about auto... 280BHP @ the fly = 224 bhp atw.... 326 @ the fly = 260 bhp atw both with 20% losses

as my setup, yes full boost by 3400rpm and positive boost by 2000rpm

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Godammit would people pick a gear when they are talking about "full boost by blarg rpm" :mad:

I can see full boost by 3600rpm on my T67 - if I'm in 6th! Put it in 2nd and it ratchets round the rev range so fast it doesn't even reach 1.2bar. Meaningless without knowing the gear.

Bit early for the doom and gloom, Alex, maybe it's just a split hose :blink:

And I thought the myth about j-specs being limited to 280bhp was dispelled in 2005 :D

-Ian

Godammit would people pick a gear when they are talking about "full boost by blarg rpm" :mad:

I can see full boost by 3600rpm on my T67 - if I'm in 6th! Put it in 2nd and it ratchets round the rev range so fast it doesn't even reach 1.2bar. Meaningless without knowing the gear.

I am glad you said that as it was exactly what I was thinking but unlike you, I didn't have the benefit of knowledge to back me up :D

I am glad you said that as it was exactly what I was thinking but unlike you, I didn't have the benefit of knowledge to back me up :D

FWIW, I always use 5th on a manual and 3rd on the auto...because these gears are 1:1 - they are also the gears you should dyno in.

Boost threshold measurements in other gears arn't worthwhile IMO.

Something is not right m8...

Also really need to see the AFR readings too if poss

If I might ask about the 550's maxing out at 0.8 BAR - sounds really low with a 'small' turbo?

I thought that this set-up was recommended good for even stock jap injectors?

Something is not right m8...

Also really need to see the AFR readings too if poss

If I might ask about the 550's maxing out at 0.8 BAR - sounds really low with a 'small' turbo?

I thought that this set-up was recommended good for even stock jap injectors?

They aren't maxed out at 0.8bar, but they are up to 85% duty. 1.0 bar should see above 90% but below 95%. Anything above this and a) you are on the ragged edge, and b) should the boost ever spike a psi or two higher it's game over, there is no headroom left. Hence my recommendation to stick to 1.0bar.

From the 550cc setups I've seen this is normal :shrug: 1bar on a single turbo is waaaay better than 1.4bar on stock based stuff so it needs the fuel. I can't recall what happened with the fuel pressure, if we could and did change it or not. But anyway, 650cc injectors for the win :) 18% more fuel, which means 18% more air = 1.4bar comfortably.

-Ian

Sorry for the late replies.

Could the problem have anything to do with the valve stem oil seals?? (they are completly wrecked)

I am now rather worried.

Its impossible to run this at under 1 bar, it feels slower than BPU.

Roughly how much are a set of 650cc's??

The AFR are in the 11's, i was under the impression that as long as these stayed ok then it was ok.

I could have done some damage the day it was mapped as on the way home, the pipe that the bleed valvle was fitted on to melted and the car hit 1.5 bar! :(

why would i lie about it.... yes my setup makes full boost from 3400rpm

Didn't mean it like that matey, just didnt want to be quoting in case I'd misheard.

Jon, are you SURE its valve stem oil seals? If the low compression theory holds weight is it not possible you've fried rings which would give the same symptoms?

[offtopic]

so iam told that uk's make more 326BHP fly, and Japs make 280BHP. as for the losses well.. i was talking about auto... 280BHP @ the fly = 224 bhp atw.... 326 @ the fly = 260 bhp atw both with 20% losses

Isn't 20% quite high for losses? Or does the auto lose a lot more than the manual? And just how different are losses ATW compared to ATH?

Sorry for the late replies.

Could the problem have anything to do with the valve stem oil seals?? (they are completly wrecked)

I am now rather worried.

Its impossible to run this at under 1 bar, it feels slower than BPU.

Roughly how much are a set of 650cc's??

The AFR are in the 11's, i was under the impression that as long as these stayed ok then it was ok.

I could have done some damage the day it was mapped as on the way home, the pipe that the bleed valvle was fitted on to melted and the car hit 1.5 bar! :(

Right, firstly you have UK spec injectors so you need to replace them with Lo-Impedence injectors - the "drop in" 650's everyone talks about are high impedence so you can't use them. You're looking for Side Feed lo-impedence and you'll probably need the connectors and flyleads that are often offered with them. Terry will sort you out with injectors if you can't source your own....and want to make sure you get it right.

If the AFR's stayed in the 11's when you had your boost leak or whilst you were over the advised 1bar then it should be ok...but you can't guarentee that say 1 cylinder didn't run a bit lean if you see what I mean.

I can't really believe it ran 11:1 afrs at 1.2+ bar boost. Maybe at 4000rpm but not at 6000rpm... It's hard to watch an afr gauge and a boost gauge all through the rev range while driving on the road...

The dyno bods will have monitored the AFRs, what results were they seeing? have you got that printout?

-Ian

Not sure if they did that printout in the end (though they were monitoring cos I remember seeing it) - they were incredibly concerned about turning the boost up further tho.

I think you'd be wasting money going for the 650's just yet matey - the car SHOULD be quicker at 1 bar than a BPU car - you're better off working out why its not!

Agreed, it should be quicker, and in fact it was when I was mapping it, even just below 1bar. I've been in enough different Supras now to know when something is working as it should for that setup. Full boost at 3600rpm in 2nd gear, and it pulled strong, just like a T61 should do. This is why it's a bit worrying, as all this has changed for the worse. I've recommened that Jon just calms down a bit, takes a step backward, and as job #1 gets a compression check done. The outcome of that determines every action that follows, in my opinion.

-Ian

Just for reference to anyone who is reading this. Im 100% sure there is nothing wrong with ian c's mapping. These problems that have been cause, have been caused by me upping the boost before i should have.

from reading your post's there is no wonder that the mkiii crowd are so unwelcome at any meet you guy's attend that is if those who posted went to the french meet a few nice people i met, s7eve and burna and Ian who was only able to keep up with my Lil slow mkiii I'll go up against any standard mkiv and make you eat humble pie. your right i don't think i will post on here anymore i see now why the mkiv crowd has such a bad snobbish sigma attached to it!

from reading your post's there is no wonder that the mkiii crowd are so unwelcome at any meet you guy's attend that is if those who posted went to the french meet a few nice people i met, s7eve and burna and Ian who was only able to keep up with my Lil slow mkiii I'll go up against any standard mkiv and make you eat humble pie. your right i don't think i will post on here anymore i see now why the mkiv crowd has such a bad snobbish sigma attached to it!

:grouphug: Grouphug. Tar> brush>dont.