The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fueling setup for a small single

Homer

Okay guys, need some advice on what I'll need to do fueling wise for a small single turbo (450-500rwhp is the target).

So far I've got:

- single walbro pump

- aeromotive FPR with -6AN fittings

- e-manage blue

I know I'll need:

- 650cc injectors (high impedence - top feed?)

A few questions:

1) Can I realistically just fit the injectors into a stock rail using the -6an fittings or do I need to change to -8an?

2) Do I need to modify the rail to dual feed?

3) Do I need to change the fuel line from the pump to the fuel filter to -8an?

4) Should the fuel pulsation damper be removed?

The recent thread from Tlicense was very helpful, but that was for a big turbo, its not clear how much of that applies for a smaller one.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'll need:

- 650cc injectors (high impedence - top feed?)

The stock injectors are High Imp/Side Feed. If using the stock fuel rail you'll need side feed injectors again.

A few questions:

1) Can I realistically just fit the injectors into a stock rail using the -6an fittings or do I need to change to -8an?

Can't see why not

2) Do I need to modify the rail to dual feed?

No, not for your power level.

3) Do I need to change the fuel line from the pump to the fuel filter to -8an?

No.

4) Should the fuel pulsation damper be removed?
No. Well, some folks do, some don't. CW says it's unnecessary and that's good enough for me.

Jake, thanks mate, thats reassuring as its the conculsions I'd drawn (apart from the feed bit). Should save a bundle of cash too!

Paulmac, the injector size is future proofing. Its highly likely i'll move to something larger at a later stage, 650's seem to be a good compromise. The e-manage blue is apparently just about capable of controlling them so its a cost effective choice.

ahh right, was'nt sure the e-manage would trim in that far but you've obviously done your home work

Well not exactly, my homework is being done right here now :D Do you know (or have heard of) any reason why the EM blue won't control them? I'm only basing on a few previous threads here where people have mentioned it can do it.

If not then EM ultimate would need to be on the cards (much as I'd like to have one, there's no way can I afford a proper standalone)

There seems to be more mis information in this thread...

If anybody bothered to read Pig's Dyno thread you'll have seen that it's now been prooved that 550cc injectors can't really handle a T61.

T61's require 650cc Hi-Imp injectors on a J-spec and 650cc Lo-imp on a UK spec.

The Emanage Blue can trim upto 50% this means that in theory 880's can be trimmed back into 440's (which is what you want for the idle to work). However I wouldn't go above 800cc on an EMBlue. The EMU however does give you more head room....how much more hasn't been proved yet.

So in Homers' case

650cc Hi-Imp SIDE FEED injectors.

EMB is fine.

The walbro is fine

Homer, you don't need to worry about any of the rest of it. Get the aeromotive plumbed into the stock return. The stock lines and rail will be fine.

I can say this cause my 1.4bar running T61 used the exact same setup.

****EDIT - Ian posted whilst I was writing god damn it!! ;) *****

There seems to be more mis information in this thread...

If anybody bothered to read Pig's Dyno thread you'll have seen that it's now been prooved that 550cc injectors can't really handle a T61.

wow thats a bit of a sweeping statement mate, mine got dynoed on 550's on a 61 and there were no "headroom" issues at 1.4 bar, the boost could have been taken higher but Thor recomended on stock bottom end and transmission 1.4 is a safe max and its at the customers risk if you want to run higher, this wasn't an A/F issue it was a blown engine issue lol, i can understand future proofing but dont put people off 550's (cheap) on a T61 as there are quite a few on this board running very happily with safe A/F's and 500 rwhp

wow thats a bit of a sweeping statement mate, mine got dynoed on 550's on a 61 and there were no "headroom" issues at 1.4 bar, the boost could have been taken higher but Thor recomended on stock bottom end and transmission 1.4 is a safe max and its at the customers risk if you want to run higher, this wasn't an A/F issue it was a blown engine issue lol, i can understand future proofing but dont put people off 550's (cheap) on a T61 as there are quite a few on this board running very happily with safe A/F's and 500 rwhp

Aggree with that. Ran 550's/T61 for 0ver 3 years at up to 1.5bar with afrs in the 11s. (may well have been stretched) Only upgraded to 650s for headroom (and 2bar)

Whats's the injector duty rate like at max torque and boost?

Whats's the injector duty rate like at max torque and boost?

i am not going to hijack Homers thread as he isnt even using 550's so its not an issue, in answer to your question Chris i dont know and i dont care i let the good people at Thor sought all that and as for "static pressures" Ian again Thor set that up so again i dont care, when i see comments like you cant run a T61 with 550's and a lot of people ARE running them safely i feel we need to give a balanced view for people reading this thread who may be going this route, i specifically asked Thor when i was there would there be any advantage using bigger injectors and was told none what so ever unless (key word here) i went for a bigger turbo or cranked up the boost, i was also told i'de really have to ditch the SAFC/ITC if i went bigger as well which i think is all fair comment, i'me not going to respond any more to the thread as i can see were turning it into a 550 and safc bashing thread AGAIN

Paul - I think you are being over sensitive

it is a reasonable question m8....

I too was under the impression that 550's were fine - wasn't it previously mooted elsewhere that it was OK to run stf / budget kit with a T61 on 440's? (incorrrect or am I missing a point here?)

i am not going to hijack Homers thread as he isnt even using 550's so its not an issue, in answer to your question Chris i dont know and i dont care i let the good people at Thor sought all that and as for "static pressures" Ian again Thor set that up so again i dont care, when i see comments like you cant run a T61 with 550's and a lot of people ARE running them safely i feel we need to give a balanced view for people reading this thread who may be going this route, i specifically asked Thor when i was there would there be any advantage using bigger injectors and was told none what so ever unless (key word here) i went for a bigger turbo or cranked up the boost, i was also told i'de really have to ditch the SAFC/ITC if i went bigger as well which i think is all fair comment, i'me not going to respond any more to the thread as i can see were turning it into a 550 and safc bashing thread AGAIN

Oh FFS...right, I'd forgotten about your setup and Charlie's too, so ok you can get 1.4bar on you T61 ..I hold my hands up and admit I may have added some more mis-information.

So why can't Jon if your setups are the same?? Anyone got an idea (instead of a strop)?

PS I do not count EBay T60-1's from Turbofit etc as T61's...because they arn't T61's!! T60-1's are much much smaller.

Hands up who's got a Precision based T61 or a Garrett GT35R on 550cc injectors. Once we know we can investigate further, the differences in the setup's etc.

Hmmm why was Jon's so limited...would an old fuel pump on the verge of dying be a valid reason?

Complete thread hijack. :) But I think Homer's got his info now so I hope he doesn't mind :)

Right well obviously there's a pattern there.

Sooo Ian was seeing really high duty's because he wasn't having to trim the injectors much. And the ECU was trying to give full beans cause they were near 1bar.

So, ideas then.

Partially blocked injectors?

Low fuel pressure due to knackered pump or knackered Fuel Pressure regulator.

Wierd electrical fault?

Any others?