supra tt vs cosworth

Guest jazraymcbeath

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Car and Driver, a very well respected USA mag tested the Supra in 1993, test details as follows.

0-60mph 4.6sec

0-100mph 11.1sec

1/4 mile 13.1@109mph

Top speed (limited) 160mph

skidpad 0.95g

braking 70 to 0mph 60ft

one of the other mags in the USA derestricted theirs and got a measured 181mph top end. Not bad for a stock car.

Love how the yanks still always get better times then the rest of the world..........;)

Are you running a high stall TC? How long does it take to change between 2nd and 3rd at WOT?

IMO a high stall makes the car unuseable around town.

no bud.. iam running the std High stall, with a t61 you get on boost at approx 2k, so a high stall is not needed unless you are going for a drag setup IMO. but even with a higher T/C you can have it on a switch so it can be locked so it doesnt slip around town etc. i do agree with you that a high stall maakes the car undriveable around town as you would always be on boost, but for those who dont like even that little amount of lag can drive in manu mode helping you to drive around the lag.

Hi all new to this club.

I was looking to sell my beloved cosworth. I would like to know how a supra tt would compare to my cossie.

Hi and welcome.

In engineering terms there is no contest. Toyota went back to the drawing board when Nissan released the 300ZX. They totally redesigned it, developed a 500bhp engine and detuned it. Everything is over engineered, stock bottom ends hold huge power, stock cranks go beyond 900bhp. Stock jap turbos spool very quickly. Both boxes are very strong, the auto is one of the best, very fast changes, given the same power a six would be hard pressed to keep up. Most stock fuel pumps are getting old so really should be changed even for stock power. A lot of new comers to the MKIV TT find it a hand full especially if they have little or no experience of RWD. With BPU and beyond traction can be an issue, but with experience it can be driven hard in bends, faster than many FWD and 4WD cars. Quite a lot of us use Racelogic traction control as the stock system is as good as useless and potentially dangerous. RLTC make the car even more fun especially in the wet and on cold. But there are those who claim there right foot is better than a system that monitor wheel speed hundreds of times a second. JDM suspension is harder so makes the car handle more responsively, even greater improvements can be made with inexpensive shock and springs. With the bigger UK brakes all round the MKIV has (I think 700BHP) of stopping power, few road cars can beat that unless you are in super car territory.

If modding for big power is you aim, then the MKIV has huge potential.Stock parts are more expensive than Ford, but they really don't break very often. Good tires will cost £500 a set on stock rims. Servicing wont be an issue for you. I suspect with the reliabiility and strength of the engine, you will ultimately be spend less on the car, as the limits of reliability are hard to reach.

Driven hard mpg in the high teens is reasonable, on the track 6 to 8 is more likely

By asking here you are talking to the converted. You need to drive a few to see how you like it. If you do I suspect like the rest of us you will be stepping out of the car with a Cheshire cat grin and you will be hooked a thoughts of running costs go out the window.

Good luck with your decision.

Hi and welcome.

In engineering terms there is no contest. Toyota went back to the drawing board when Nissan released the 300ZX. They totally redesigned it, developed a 500bhp engine and detuned it. Everything is over engineered, stock bottom ends hold huge power, stock cranks go beyond 900bhp. Stock jap turbos spool very quickly. Both boxes are very strong, the auto is one of the best, very fast changes, given the same power a six would be hard pressed to keep up. Most stock fuel pumps are getting old so really should be changed even for stock power. A lot of new comers to the MKIV TT find it a hand full especially if they have little or no experience of RWD. With BPU and beyond traction can be an issue, but with experience it can be driven hard in bends, faster than many FWD and 4WD cars. Quite a lot of us use Racelogic traction control as the stock system is as good as useless and potentially dangerous. RLTC make the car even more fun especially in the wet and on cold. But there are those who claim there right foot is better than a system that monitor wheel speed hundreds of times a second. JDM suspension is harder so makes the car handle more responsively, even greater improvements can be made with inexpensive shock and springs. With the bigger UK brakes all round the MKIV has (I think 700BHP) of stopping power, few road cars can beat that unless you are in super car territory.

If modding for big power is you aim, then the MKIV has huge potential.Stock parts are more expensive than Ford, but they really don't break very often. Good tires will cost £500 a set on stock rims. Servicing wont be an issue for you. I suspect with the reliabiility and strength of the engine, you will ultimately be spend less on the car, as the limits of reliability are hard to reach.

Driven hard mpg in the high teens is reasonable, on the track 6 to 8 is more likely

By asking here you are talking to the converted. You need to drive a few to see how you like it. If you do I suspect like the rest of us you will be stepping out of the car with a Cheshire cat grin and you will be hooked a thoughts of running costs go out the window.

Good luck with your decision.

im must say top post :thumbs:

But there are those who claim there right foot is better than a system that monitor wheel speed hundreds of times a second. .

I don't think many/any claim that.......after all a TC system is used to keep Button etc on the road so they are better than someones right foot...

I don't think many/any claim that.......after all a TC system is used to keep Button etc on the road so they are better than someones right foot...

I dont trust the stock TC, I dont need it to save me, I know how much power I can lay down in a bend, I know what the cars limits are, the only time RLTC would benifit me is if I was trying to drive the car on its limits, otherwise I can drive up to its limit given that particular circumstance, one of the reasons I have kept her on the road for 4 years ;)

Again you talk about TC being used to keep Button on the road, their driving their car on the limit of its grip around a corner, must of us wont take a bend on a motorway at the limit of the car, most of wont take a roundabout where the car is just gripping, I know when it wants to break away so you just keep it a little bit under that limit, hence right foot being maybe not more affective, but certainly cost effective in my eyes.........even though I have had RLTC sat at home now in the spare room for over 4 years :rolleyes:

Phil, your the RLTC man, any chance you could do a fitting for me, I need to get this on just to make use of the £600 I paid for it :eyebrows:

Guest jazraymcbeath

Yes you are making a good point for the supra keep it coming. Will have to research into the autos if they have quick kick down time as i quite like it when customers cars come in that are autos but havent ever driven one in anger.

Ash i'm not a TC man either...............

...........my point is that whilst a good/very good TC setup will be better/quicker whatever for most given drivers, its just not me, i like to feel the effects my actions make.........its seems to me it would be a bit like when the driving instructor would use his pedals....i think it would just annoy me.

As a safety net in the wet when you don't want to 100% concentrate then fine, everyday and relying on it no ta..........

Yes you are making a good point for the supra keep it coming. Will have to research into the autos if they have quick kick down time as i quite like it when customers cars come in that are autos but havent ever driven one in anger.

The supra auto box is that good its like playing a playstation game. No associated jerks etc that you usually get with autos. It always seems to be in the right gear for the occassion :D

As a safety net in the wet when you don't want to 100% concentrate then fine..........

Me too, I suppose thats why I bought RLTC and have had it sat in the spare room for 4 years, lol......

Still anyone who drives by the above rule, will obvioulsy need RLTC............to not concentrate 100% in the Supe in the rain, pffft :cool:

EDITED: I heard Race Logic now do a control box for the unit, can this be plugged on to an existing RLTC system, ie my RTLC thats 4 years old ?

Hi and welcome.

In engineering terms there is no contest. Toyota went back to the drawing board when Nissan released the 300ZX. They totally redesigned it, developed a 500bhp engine and detuned it.

I'm afraid that I am gonna have to disagree with this dude. They had the engine designed allready. Reason I know this is they put them in aristos from 91 chap.

Guest Flat4_ire
I'm afraid that I am gonna have to disagree with this dude. They had the engine designed allready. Reason I know this is they put them in aristos from 91 chap.

score for you there