supra tt vs cosworth

Guest jazraymcbeath

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

who, thats only done about £1k's worth of BPU?

Lots. Look for the quarter mile times thread. I personally did 13.1 with a slipping clutch and knackered tyres on my first ever drag event. And I had a decat and exhaust at the time (nothing more). High 12's are easily possible.

Monkey had a high stall to do that didnt he?

Yes, which aren't expensive, and don't increase your power any.

huh dude?? the standard auto box yeah can handle 500bhp safely etc etc but the 6speed getrag box in standard form has been known to hold 1000bp+, amazing box! between a cossie and a supra, no comparison!! in performance,reliabilty,and of course looks! ;)

Where are you getting your FACTS? from about the stock autobox from because I KNOW different.

Guest Flat4_ire
Were you being towed ?

Assuming you wernt on fumes, thats 23 mpg...Ill have to start commuting at 100mph, trouble is Ill get to work 10 minutes before I leave the house

haha, no man i am being honest here, thats with two cats in place and all that stuff flying around town with starts/stops really guzzles it

Where are you getting your FACTS? from about the stock autobox from because I KNOW different.

The person he was replying to simply said "gearbox" he never said auto or manual. I think flat was trying to clarify, he said the auto box is capable of 500bhp (which it is, certainly not more, and how long it would last at 500 may vary), and that the 6 speed is practically indestructable. Which is also true.

lets face it, no high power car is good when it comes to MPG (this is not why we buy them) but I find if you drive off boost at low revs using the lazy torque the economy isn't too bad, I think it may be better than my old integrale when driven like that.

when it comes to putting your foot down, cossie and supra alike, you will probably be able to watch the guage go down lol

Guest Flat4_ire
The person he was replying to simply said "gearbox" he never said auto or manual. I think flat was trying to clarify, he said the auto box is capable of 500bhp (which it is, certainly not more, and how long it would last at 500 may vary), and that the 6 speed is practically indestructable. Which is also true.

hey cheers for that dude, John K whats you problem eh? what i stated is pretty much correct, obviously there are some cases of standard 6 speed boxes breaking at 400bhp, but in general if looked after properly they can handle serious amounts of power!

Guest Flat4_ire
lets face it, no high power car is good when it comes to MPG (this is not why we buy them) but I find if you drive off boost at low revs using the lazy torque the economy isn't too bad, I think it may be better than my old integrale when driven like that.

when it comes to putting your foot down, cossie and supra alike, you will probably be able to watch the guage go down lol

id NEVER ask "how mpg" etc etc, if im asking myself and others this question then i shouldnt really be buying a sports car!! my subaru drank it, the supra drank it, and i couldnt care less! that power has to come out somewhere you know! ;)

Actually the J-Spec turbo's are bigger ;)

Are they, I actually thought after Im talking crap, their both the same size, housing wise, its the innerds that are different. How are they bigger, is this down to wheel size ?

What I actually meant is UK tubbies will put out more....... ;)

im being dead serious dude, i went from harlow to the port which is something 295miles roughly? and i was doing 100mph plus for most of that cos a lot of it is motorway and big road driving! you do know when u are doing short start/stop trips it will drink the fuel a hell of a lot more!!

If you say you did, I dont think your lying, mine is probably always going to be worse on petrol, as its decat, uprated pump (FSE), 12volt mod, lightened flywheel, I suspect the flywheel is a main culprit as well..........

Are they, I actually thought after Im talking crap, their both the same size, housing wise, its the innerds that are different. How are they bigger, is this down to wheel size ?

What I actually meant is UK tubbies will put out more....... ;)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=680

J-spec housings are bigger... see this (very) old thread for pictures of the compressor wheels. There was another thread comparing pictures of the actual housings I believe but can't find it now.

It's just that j-spec use ceramic blades and so spool faster, yet the UK's use steel and should produce a bit more top end grunt. Personally I'd take the quicker spooling ceramic's any day, I think toyota made a mistake using steel blades for the rest of the world. ;)

I didnt mention the manual box as that has been proven as pretty indestrusctable, however the autobox cannot handle 500 reliably.

LOL... i have an auto with exra coolers, i am running 550, have driven it hard scince the build and have hd no problems with the box, there are several on hare with std auto boxws running the same or more power foe a lopnger time and they have no prbs either.... failing that for approx £1800 you can have a BL auto box wich is proven to handle 700+ bhp, if you relate this to several clutches the cost is actually less, so a very reasonable priced mod IMO.

Quick spooling is better for daily driving for sure.

But racing around, top end and durablilty the steel blades are better (hence why all the quickest/most powerful BPU cars in the world are all steel bladed turbo'd Supras).

Bah you would say that! :p ;)

But yeah fine to BPU but you've gotta change to steel if you want to go higher ;)

Hmm... could you imagine something like a DBB T67 with ceramic blades though! :D

LOL... i have an auto with exra coolers, i am running 550, have driven it hard scince the build and have hd no problems with the box, there are several on hare with std auto boxws running the same or more power foe a lopnger time and they have no prbs either.... failing that for approx £1800 you can have a BL auto box wich is proven to handle 700+ bhp, if you relate this to several clutches the cost is actually less, so a very reasonable priced mod IMO.

Are you running a high stall TC? How long does it take to change between 2nd and 3rd at WOT?

IMO a high stall makes the car unuseable around town.

Are you running a high stall TC? How long does it take to change between 2nd and 3rd at WOT?

IMO a high stall makes the car unuseable around town.

I think that depends on how high a stall you go for. MonkeyMark's orginal one was quite drivable round town, I think he even swapped it out for a higher one.

Car and Driver, a very well respected USA mag tested the Supra in 1993, test details as follows.

0-60mph 4.6sec

0-100mph 11.1sec

1/4 mile 13.1@109mph

Top speed (limited) 160mph

skidpad 0.95g

braking 70 to 0mph 60ft

one of the other mags in the USA derestricted theirs and got a measured 181mph top end. Not bad for a stock car.